Sign in to follow this  
Guest nilsca

RealTrim

Make that 12-0 (or whatever it has risen to by now)Although I'm NOT a RL pilot I have been flying the sim for some years, and I also use the trim method that you describe. Although not perfect, if the flight model is good, and external factors such as weather don't interfere too much, I can set my planes to fly pretty much hands off. The Dreamfleet Archer is particularly good in this respect.I can also recommend membership of AOPA as an excellent way of learning how to fly better by reading how real pilots do it. And how to avoid the (sometimes fatal) mistakes that they make.Alastair(AOPA #4634067)

Guest av84fun

<>Let me translate that sentence. What you really mean is.."Now that the overwhelming majority of experts disagree with me, I am changing my mind while trying to save as much face as possible" LOLYes, there seems to be overwhelming agreement on that subject but you initially utterly opposed it as in.... >>The usual procedure when leveling out is accelerate to cruise speed, power back and then and only then trim.>>As seems to be your habit, you've now done a full 180 degree turn on this subject but you should be commended for your willingness to learn.<>No, there is NO difference whatsoever. You're just trying to dance around with words. If you move the trim tab, you have trimmed the aircraft. You may have trimmed it too much, or too little, but you have trimmed nevertheless. Besides, you completely boxed yourself in when you also wrote:<>You can't have it both ways YAWN...try though you might. (-: Regards,Jim

Guest av84fun

<>Hello Alastair1I think it's in the 30s now. And I trust this thread has been informative for the members here since FS trim has been a subject of debate and complaint for so long.I now see why some have felt that many models are overly sensitive in pitch. For those who have been trying to hold forward pressure while leveling off until full cruise speed has been reached...and have tried to do so with a stick or yoke that may or may not impose spring loaded resistance, would virtually assure jerky behavior in pitch.The RealTrim aplication may well put an end to the problem but just IMHO, it does so unrealistically relative to RW flying.Regards,Jim

Guest nilsca

TV> stressed the system - missed some of my Gear up > commands. I am not sure if it

Ok, I tried it out. First time I used the control key the plane trimmed perfectly to my climb pitch!!!!! Heck Yeah!!!!!Unfortunately, after that it stopped working :(My machine:AMD 4000 7800 GT SLI 2 GB ram. I was using the RFP 747, and no other mod at the test time. Just FS and clear weather.I guess it's similair to the problems others are having.Can't wait till you fix it!

Guest nilsca

Hey timers>First time I used the control key the plane trimmed >perfectly to my climb pitch!!!!! great so far :)>Unfortunately, after that it stopped working :(can you explain in more detail please what "stopped working"? Did FS still work, the plane still fly, other keys and buttonsstill work, where you able to continue using the RealTrim menufor setting effectiveness/button, did the trim behave strange,did FS say something ...? too many things that might go wrong :(Also what version of FS are you running (assuming FS9), whichversion of RealTrim (1.0 is the latest), did you change thetrim key/button assignment...There are two switches that might help find out what's goingon in RealTrim.ini:[RealTrim]Logging=1NoDirectInput=1One enables some basic logging into RealTrim.log, just to see what the module thinks itself, the other disables the joystick support in case there's something strange going on with directxand reading the joystick in parallel to FS9ThanksNils

Hi NilsI'm also having a problem with version 1.0. When I try and select anything from the Real Trim menu like Select Key the display only appears on the screen for a split second not allowing time to change anything. I tried changing the key in theini file and it seemed to work initially then stopped. I've set the switch Logging=1 but canot find the log file. The 0.9 version worked fine. Many thanksMal

Guest nilsca

Mal,>I'm also having a problem with version 1.0. When I try and>select anything from the Real Trim menu like Select Key the>display only appears on the screen for a split second not>allowing time to change anything. hmm, sounds like genj thinks you're pressing a button - whatbutton shows up in RealTrim.ini? something like this?[RealTrim]TrimKey=TrimButton=3>I tried changing the key in theini file and it seemed to >work initially then stopped. so you can trim a bit with the button/key and then not anymore? what exactly stops? :)>I've set the switch Logging=1 but canot find the log file. it should be in the modules folderThanksNils

I mean to say the modules apparently stopped working. Even though I press "ctrl" and center the joystick the trim indicator doesn't move.I'll try nodirect tonight. I'm fine with using a key.Just a note... It seems natural to me to HOLD the ctrl key while center the joystick, and release when done. Could this be a problem?It's a nice utility. Thanks.Tim

Hello NilsYes the ini file showsTimKey=TrimButton=8The log file showed the following:module_initFound Joystick Saitek X36 Flight ControllerAircraft changed - now Cessna Skyhawk 172SP, trim effectiveness 3.000000Aircraft changed - now Cessna Skyhawk 172SP, trim effectiveness 3.000000Aircraft changed - now Cessna Skyhawk 172SP, trim effectiveness 3.000000Re-aquired JoystickRe-aquired JoystickRe-aquired JoystickRe-aquired JoystickI've added the line:NoDirectInput=1and it now works. The menu items remain on the screen when selected. I've selected a key and assigned it to a button on my Saitek X36 stick using FSUIPC.Hope that helps. The only problem is the "Direct Input disabled - joystick buttons won't be read" message when FS9 starts.RegardsMal

Guest nilsca

Tim>Even though I press "ctrl" and center the joystick >the trim indicator doesn't move.is this after you've went through the "set trim key"menu item? Then I'd assume the key-assignment haschanged (that's why you'd see the dialog popping upand disappearing immediately).>I'll try nodirect tonight. I'm fine with using a key.just make sure to go back to the key-assignment dlgand choose your key of choice again>It seems natural to me to HOLD the ctrl key while >center the joystick, and release when done. Could this>be a problem?that's how I use it as well - you have to hold the trim-assigned-key the whole time while centering.You can release earlier meaning you didn't trim offall opposing force or once neutral.Thanks for testing thisNils

Guest nilsca

Malit looks like your Saitek X36 sends a button pressevent all the time so the module assumes that's theone you want to use when it prompts for a buttonpress.I'll put in a change for the next version that willignore buttons until they're released and pressedto make sure not to consider a 'stuck' button.>Hope that helps. The only problem is the "Direct Input>disabled - joystick buttons won't be read" message when FS9>starts.i'll remove the warning as well - no need to bugsomeone if they've set this up in their ini as such :)CheersNils

Hi NilsThanks for the reply - the X36 is getting a little old but haven't noticed a problem up to now.:( Perhaps it's time to buy another JS. Love the module now Im getting used to a different way of trimming.ThanksMal