Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

New iMac Pro should be great for P3Dv4 in Windows Bootcamp

Hey,

I just saw the specs on this beast, I dunno how the cooling will work but 18 Cores with 16GB VRAM (Radeon Pro) and comes with max 128GB Ram.  Oh this will be a monster to sim in with Prepar3d running in Bootcamp (full native Windows).

Just hoping LM to fix their native VR, I have no idea how a broken VR got passed in beta testing.  I mean were the beta testers not testing VR at all? LM has VR in their offices.

Sharing thoughts about the new Imac Pro

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

It'll be terrible. P3D won't benefit from 18 cores or a million gigabytes of Ram. P3D benefits from high IPC, coming from each core, which that 18 core certainly won't have going for it. Plus Vega, an AMD card, which is notorious for having consistently worse performance and support in flight simulators in general. 

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Build your own PC.  Look, I love Mac's and Macbook Pro's a lot,  But they are productivity tools not for gaming.  Sure you can game on them but with the cost of them you can build a PC that will game even better for less money.

• Upvote 1

5300$? Really? For a MAC? Using it to fly P3D?

Worst. Idea. Ever.

The PC master race are out in full force today.

Do not listen to them, my friend.

I bought a Mac for sim purposes - I don't think you can get Prepar3d for it, but I use Microsoft flight simulator, which is available for Macintosh, no need for boot camp and all that bother.

Frames rates are acceptable, and my machine is not 18 core, so your experience may be even better.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

That has nothing to do with PC master race.

When I spend 5300€ on a "normal" PC, I get a system with 3-way 1080ti SLI and everything you ever dreamt of :-) So give me one reason to buy that Mac for flight simming?

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but a Mac for P3D? No way.

Lol, guys, I was just saying about the out of this world specs packed in a small desktop.  See my current specs - I can build a cheaper pc faster than the new imac.  I already run with 6 4Ks screen.  Obviously p3d doesn't scale to that insane resolution (it does with no addons and sliders set to left on p3dv3.4 but I am 100% in VR now.  I can never sim on a monitor now.

I know P3D4+ will consume RAM and VRAM like a monster and those 2 things are very important moving forward.

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

That has nothing to do with PC master race.

When I spend 5300€ on a "normal" PC, I get a system with 3-way 1080ti SLI and everything you ever dreamt of :-) So give me one reason to buy that Mac for flight simming?

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but a Mac for P3D? No way.

One reason?

See those guys in the grey sacks, marching in unison. That is you, my friend. I may get less frames per second than you do, but I am fighting against the system. 

Vive la revolution!

Rob

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

13 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Lol, guys, I was just saying about the out of this world specs packed in a small desktop.  See my current specs - I can build a cheaper pc faster than the new imac.  I already run with 6 4Ks screen.  Obviously p3d doesn't scale to that insane resolution (it does with no addons and sliders set to left on p3dv3.4 but I am 100% in VR now.  I can never sim on a monitor now.

I know P3D4+ will consume RAM and VRAM like a monster and those 2 things are very important moving forward.

VR is great, though my Mac flight sim is screen-only for now. As you can see in the pic, I've tried to get my HMD working with it, but so far, no luck - so if anyone knows how to get an Oculus hooked up to a Mac, let me know.

Flightsim%20Mac%20IMG_2235%20002_zpsptnx 

Now, you guys are all 'I've got triple SLI' and whatever but my sim machine is a REAL beast:

• It's an SE/30, YES, you heard that right.
  • 4MB of RAM
  • I upgraded to the 80MB HDD,

That's US$6,569 woth of Mac there, my friends.

I have a copy of Flight Simulator that is working very nicely. As mentioned, FPS are kind of low, so unless I can improve performance the Oculus might be suboptimal even if I can get it hooked up. 

Do you guys think 8MB of RAM might solve my VR problems here?

:dry:

• Upvote 1

Oz

Man I could get a PC, ACE yoke and perhaps throw some money to get a FSC throttle quadrant...

Man.... the only thing I want is that 5k Retina display...

40 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

VR is great, though my Mac flight sim is screen-only for now. As you can see in the pic, I've tried to get my HMD working with it, but so far, no luck - so if anyone knows how to get an Oculus hooked up to a Mac, let me know.

Flightsim%20Mac%20IMG_2235%20002_zpsptnx 

Now, you guys are all 'I've got triple SLI' and whatever but my sim machine is a REAL beast:

• It's an SE/30, YES, you heard that right.
  • 4MB of RAM
  • I upgraded to the 80MB HDD,

That's US$6,569 woth of Mac there, my friends.

I have a copy of Flight Simulator that is working very nicely. As mentioned, FPS are kind of low, so unless I can improve performance the Oculus might be suboptimal even if I can get it hooked up. 

Do you guys think 8MB of RAM might solve my VR problems here?

:dry:

Love that Classic Mac.  I miss hypercard...best tool ever.  I used hypercard and laserdisc back in school when they first had them and did first demo in class using it. 

Lol VR with it ....haha

Best thing is hardware for all of us is really improving and it will make P3D experience better for all.  By the hotfix is coming soon, I saw Beau's message in a VR thread at LM's forum

5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Love that Classic Mac.  I miss hypercard...best tool ever.  I used hypercard and laserdisc back in school when they first had them and did first demo in class using it. 

Lol VR with it ....haha

Best thing is hardware for all of us is really improving and it will make P3D experience better for all.  By the hotfix is coming soon, I saw Beau's message in a VR thread at LM's forum

I used the classic macs in school too, didn't really like them (more of a PC master race guy myself :happy:), but got nostalgic after reading the Jobs biography so went out and bought three of them! They all work well, and I did find a copy of the original Mac Microsoft FS on 3.5 floppy, brings back some memories.

As for VR, I posted an error thread yesterday in the P3D forum, and beau was pretty quick to respond which is great. Its good to hear they're working on it, tbh I'm really enjoying it in v4 already and have done all of my flying over the last few days with the Oculus. Hard to go back to a screen! 

Oz

10 hours ago, sultanofswing said:

Build your own PC.  Look, I love Mac's and Macbook Pro's a lot,  But they are productivity tools not for gaming.  Sure you can game on them but with the cost of them you can build a PC that will game even better for less money.

I prefer to use Macs for work, earn money, and be able to buy a VERY good PC for my fav sim :-)

Andrea