Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to stop annoying "black" texture popping in P3D v4?

7 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Why can't people read the entire topic before berating others and making himself look a fool.

Take it easy Dean :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sorry.  It was made pretty clear though.  If he had simply misunderstood I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but to mock others for his own shortcomings .........

Merry XMas! 

To be totally fair, when I was in H.S. Reading Comprehension was readily taught. I think that got way-laid about 20 years ago. So nowadays, someone a lot younger than I get tripped up by printed phrases that are comparable to other similar printed phrases. When things aren't taught, they disappear. (just sayin')

By the way, I have problems with AI aircraft models doing that black thing, so I'm going to try the tip provided.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Are there any impacts on performance when using these tweaks? If it was as simple as changing a few numbers around in the config file, then why hasn't LM implemented it already? :) 

Skeptical, 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

7 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Are there any impacts on performance when using these tweaks? If it was as simple as changing a few numbers around in the config file, then why hasn't LM implemented it already? :) 

Skeptical, 

You have to look at it from LM point of view.

Take your PC. If everyone had a cpu@4.9 and a 1080Ti  default setting would be very different. Even TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 might be the standard setting.

But they have to make it run on 4+ year old PC and cannot have setting for everything in a UI as a lot of people will screw the sim up. 

I use  TextureMaxLoad=80 because it gives more throughput with a 1070 but the default is designed to work for all cards, hence a safe low number.

v4 does not need tweaking like p3d v1-3 or fsx I only use 2

TextureMaxLoad=80 being one of them. Do you need to add any? probably not. But can you help your PC to get more out of it? probably yes.

You're right being Skeptical there is a lot of miss information even on here.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

14 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Thank you, David; I do agree with your assertions: seems reasonable. Just out of curiosity, since I do encounter the annoying black spots phenomenon, what setting would you recommend? As a side note, I’ve had some success with Process Lasso, Affinity mask, and NI refresh rate limiter settings thus far. I was experiencing micro stutters and am hesitant to continue fiddling around with my config file…

Kind regards,

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

13 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Thank you, David; I do agree with your assertions: seems reasonable. Just out of curiosity, since I do encounter the annoying black spots phenomenon, what setting would you recommend? As a side note, I’ve had some success with Process Lasso, Affinity mask, and NI refresh rate limiter settings thus far. I was experiencing micro stutters and am hesitant to continue fiddling around with my config file…

Kind regards,

Even with you PC you might not get rid of the black spots as LM tried to optimize memory to stop OOM so "it" unloads textures it feels are not needed. If I was you I would test it.

Go around 4,000ft in a default aircraft were you find you can see black textures with no tweaks. Try  TextureMaxLoad=80 or even 160 given the power of your GFX and see what it brings. I feel it will not stop it as LM built in the code to offload the textures "not needed". But I hope you will find it helps.

That's why you're right in being Skeptical. If you see it helps, class that as a result even if it does not totally do away with the problem. Let everyone know how it does work your end as people with a 1080Ti am sure would like to know.

I don't want to go into setting as it's way too long but even with your high end PC I would suggest you set FPS to limited within the sim. The sim works in a different way with fps locked and you have/should have all the headroom you need with that great PC of your. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

33 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Even with you PC you might not get rid of the black spots as LM tried to optimize memory to stop OOM so "it" unloads textures it feels are not needed. If I was you I would test it.

Go around 4,000ft in a default aircraft were you find you can see black textures with no tweaks. Try  TextureMaxLoad=80 or even 160 given the power of your GFX and see what it brings. I feel it will not stop it as LM built in the code to offload the textures "not needed". But I hope you will find it helps.

That's why you're right in being Skeptical. If you see it helps, class that as a result even if it does not totally do away with the problem. Let everyone know how it does work your end as people with a 1080Ti am sure would like to know.

I don't want to go into setting as it's way too long but even with your high end PC I would suggest you set FPS to limited within the sim. The sim works in a different way with fps locked and you have/should have all the headroom you need with that great PC of your. 

Ok, So I went ahead and added “TextureMaxLoad=80,” as the last entry under [Display] in my Config file. Flying the A2A Cessna, over London (EGLC), at 4000 feet, I noticed a considerable improvement; Although I should continue testing, I have yet to notice any black spots. And I have limited my FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 31.5 and running ½ of my refresh rate with VSync and triple buffering set ON. These NI settings, in conjunction with Process Lasso and AM of 116, have alleviated the micro studders, resulting in a smoother experience. Thanks again, David!

Regards,

Regards,

Shelman S.

44 minutes ago, ssair1 said:

Ok, So I went ahead and added “TextureMaxLoad=80,” as the last entry under [Display] in my Config file. Flying the A2A Cessna, over London (EGLC), at 4000 feet, I noticed a considerable improvement; Although I should continue testing, I have yet to notice any black spots. And I have limited my FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 31.5 and running ½ of my refresh rate with VSync and triple buffering set ON. These NI settings, in conjunction with Process Lasso and AM of 116, have alleviated the micro studders, resulting in a smoother experience. Thanks again, David!

Regards,

Your welcome and it's great to know that tweak worked for you.

Happy to help.

Friends,

I'm not sure what a TextureMaxLoad setting of 80 would do, because as best I remember, TextureMaxLoad has to be set in multiples of 3.  I don't know how P3D would handle a setting that is not as multiple of 3, but it might disregard the setting and use a default.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

37 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Friends,

I'm not sure what a TextureMaxLoad setting of 80 would do, because as best I remember, TextureMaxLoad has to be set in multiples of 3.  I don't know how P3D would handle a setting that is not as multiple of 3, but it might disregard the setting and use a default.

On 15/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, ssair1 said:

Hello,

What version of Nvidia Inspector are you using?
Do you use the "normal" frame limiter or v2?
What settings do you apply in Prepar3D so that they do not interfere with the Nvidia settings? FXAA, AA, TF, Vsync, Target frame rate in Prepar3D?

Thanks

On 15.12.2017 at 2:04 PM, Nyxx said:

I use  TextureMaxLoad=80 because it gives more throughput with a 1070 but the default is designed to work for all cards, hence a safe low number.

On 15.12.2017 at 6:50 PM, Nyxx said:

David, your setting TextureMaxLoad=80 and the info from SteveW in the link you posted seem to contradict each other. SteveW wrote there:

From the P3D site:

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad=6

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

This can induce stutters. Use multiples of 3 only such as 3, 6, 9, etc. This is perfect for photorealistic scenery

Not that what humans write is always Bible to me but DaveCT2003 raised a vaild point. What if your setting of TextureMaxLoad=80 (which is out of 3 multiplies) is just a placebo and there's something else in your cfg, that works very well to eliminate those black textures for you instead? Could be easily checked by removing that line.

Thanks.  

Edited by Dirk98

I'll try your setting on my end and see. I'm affected by the black textures as well, so it will be easy to check.

I'm confused. Am getting to old:blush:

OK after reading thought this topic 4 times I now see  what your saying. 

I apologies I think old age got to me.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:04 AM, Nyxx said:

The default low number is 30.......explained below.

The clue to my mistake is I was talking about throughput. Here I did the same mistake but the clue to my senile demecher is here because 80-160 are not for texturemaxload

On 12/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, Nyxx said:

Try  TextureMaxLoad=80 or even 160

Its.....and I was referring to.....

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT =

Sorry my sincere apologize for the confusion. @Dirk98and @DaveCT2003 

• Upvote 1