Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

v4 is Growing on me

So I gave it a little bit of a harsh reception.  But I am noticing better sky textures or atmosphere of some sort.  I don't have any sort of texture package in these shots.  They just look so much better, a lot less blue and fake like FSX and earlier P3D versions looked like.  I am able to run higher settings of AG and at farther distances than before (as long as I'm in rural areas like Duluth and Superior pictured here).  This is also a shameless plug for the excellent Scenery Solutions' XpressSim packages (this one happens to me of my hometown Duluth MN and Superior, WI).  It's essentially a lightweight reasonably priced payware package for various areas around the globe.  Anyway here I am touring the area in the venerable Baytower RV7 and Realair Lancair Legacy.

Enjoy

Untitled-1_12.jpg

Untitled-2_12.jpg

Untitled-4_12.jpg

Untitled-6_13.jpg

Untitled-8_13.jpg

Untitled-9_12.jpg

Untitled-11_11.jpg

Untitled-12_11.jpg

Untitled-13_12.jpg

Especially in this shot, the atmosphere looks reasonably accurate

Untitled-14_10.jpg

Untitled-15_10.jpg

Untitled-16_6.jpg

About to perform a landing at Sky Harbor, MN

Untitled-17_4.jpg

Untitled-18_4.jpg

And roar off opposite direction in the Lancair hehe

Untitled-19_2.jpg

Untitled-20_3.jpg

Superior, WI

Untitled-21_3.jpg

Untitled-22_3.jpg

Untitled-24.jpg

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Any issues with the RV7 in P3D v4?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

19 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Would like to know as well!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

What worries me, is that every v4.0 shot of autogen, and landclass, from most uploaded contributors, looks so blurry. Is this just how it is?

28 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

What worries me, is that every v4.0 shot of autogen, and landclass, from most uploaded contributors, looks so blurry. Is this just how it is?

It depends on if they are using FSAA or not.

I've also noted it is easier to bog down your CPU if you crank up the settings too much which results in blurries. The good news is it supports SSAA out of the box so no fiddling with Nvidia inspector anymore

5 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I've also noted it is easier to bog down your CPU if you crank up the settings too much which results in blurries. The good news is it supports SSAA out of the box so no fiddling with Nvidia inspector anymore

Ok, I've not purchased it yet, but want to.  Been doing a lot of lurking...reading, viewing screenshot uploads, vids...all of that.  I think it's great that the M.S. based platform, finally is 64 bit, and will utilize all the user's graphic and cpu limits.  I have a 1070 with max 8GB of V-ram...but from what I 'think' I am gleaning...it is not enough to really do v4.0 justice. I guess, even if I have to tone down some, or all settings, that I normally have cranked in v3.4, I do pick up 64 bit, and no further 'chimes' and die.

I'll let v4.0 simmer a while longer on the back burner and see what comes in optimizations, with updates 1,2,3 that will surely follow.  I'm very happy though, for those that dove in, and are getting a satisfying user experience. That's all that matters, really.

19 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

the excellent Scenery Solutions' XpressSim packages (this one happens to me of my hometown Duluth MN and Superior, WI).  It's essentially a lightweight reasonably priced payware package for various areas around the globe.

yeah i like what those guys are doing. other than CNK4 and chicago/detroit stuff there really hasn't been much payware for the great lakes areas. in the last few months they've released several packages! thunder bay and marquette look good too. 

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

A 1070 is fine. Really it's all up to you what settings you value more or less. As in other versions, even though the sliders look the same the function is not always the same nor comparable to V3. There are subtle improvements all around but there is no system available that will run max settings at acceptable framerates. It's just NEVER going to happen. You may as well wait a bit til more addons are available.

27 minutes ago, spesimen said:

yeah i like what those guys are doing. other than CNK4 and chicago/detroit stuff there really hasn't been much payware for the great lakes areas. in the last few months they've released several packages! thunder bay and marquette look good too. 

cheers,-andy crosby

Thanks for this never heard of this dev before, just got KSAW and Marquette!

6 hours ago, greggerm said:

Nice shots - did'ya get out to the airshow this past weekend?

Yes I attended the practice show on Friday with great viewing from the tower ramp, and then I spent the cash to go on Sunday with some out of town visitors.  I did not have the Canon L glass I had last year so my cheap lens was all I had but I got some okay shots.

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

Yes, like v3 you must disable any instances of the GTX327 transponder.  So, there is none present.  Wasn't a big deal in v3 because I simply used the GTN 750 popup which includes a transponder.  But I think Bert Pieke did a simple mod with a basic transponder.  I'll see if I can find it.

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I don't have a strong system, and I was pushing the limits in these shots, but things looked pretty sharp to me.  You're probably just comparing (in your head) to XP11's style of textures or even Ortho4xp scenery - that's a different ballgame I think.

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I used the second most power level, 4xssaa I think it's called.

46 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for this never heard of this dev before, just got KSAW and Marquette!

You've never heard of Scenery Solutions hehe?  Have you heard of Ultimate Terrain X?  It's the same company - the original UTX was published by F1 and still is, but the product comes from Allen at Scenery Solutions.

Anyway thanks all for your comments!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |