Sign in to follow this  
Kerrydancer

MD-11 no longer available

5 hours ago, Kerrydancer said:

Robert,

I know it's great news regarding the recent 747QOTS release coupled with P3Dv4 from Lockheed Martin, but can I just pop in a question and ask why, oh why, did you decide to remove the MD-11 from your product range.

All the hard work by yourself and the associated developers has now been lost to the flight sim community, and I know quite a few of us who deeply regret not being able to purchase and fly this great aircraft.

Time marches on, and new aircraft take pride of place, but the MD-11 is one of a kind and will remain so for quite some time to come - at least in the hearts of quite a few of us.

Ron

I believe you can still get the PMDG MD-11 for FSX as a boxed CD, even though it's been discontinued in their lines.  Try Aerosoft or google something on Amazon.

That's how I got it many years ago and it's still a great addition to my fleet. As I said in a post a few years back, the external model of the fleet liveries is as good as anything at present (IMO)!  

It's a great aircraft and a delight to fly. With my 777's, 747's and MD-11 fleet I'm never bored with setting up a flight anywhere in the world. Try an MD-11 Lufthansa Cargo approach into Quito. 

Bernard Walford

The MD-11 was a fun plane to fly, it took off like a freakin rocket, and the differences in the CDU and other flight procedures were a fun change of pace.  But I completely understand that it was very much an outlier as far as sales and whatnot go, and if I was a business, I probably would't spend a lot of time updating a niche product like that.

-stefan strandberg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, walfob said:

I believe you can still get the PMDG MD-11 for FSX as a boxed CD, even though it's been discontinued in their lines.  Try Aerosoft or google something on Amazon.

That's how I got it many years ago and it's still a great addition to my fleet. As I said in a post a few years back, the external model of the fleet liveries is as good as anything at present (IMO)!  

It's a great aircraft and a delight to fly. With my 777's, 747's and MD-11 fleet I'm never bored with setting up a flight anywhere in the world. Try an MD-11 Lufthansa Cargo approach into Quito. 

Into Quito especially I am reminded about the lack of terrain and weather radar that hurts the flyability of the great PMDG MD-11 - David Lee

1 hour ago, walfob said:

I can't find it. I'd love to buy the FSX version for my Win7 setup.  If you can prove me wrong and send me a link to a genuine site selling it, I'll be very grateful.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

http://www.aerosoft.com/en/fsxp3d/flight-simulator-2004/aircraft/130/pmdg-md-11

There. That was easy... ;)

EDIT OOPS not sure if it'll work in FSX. My bad...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

There is some things we just have to let go of even though its a stabbing of many pains. This was my go to aircraft flying with FDX VA and absolutely loved it. No amount of begging is going to bring it back, revive it, facelift , even port it somehow. They just dont want it around. The DC-6 is not a mainstream aircraft of today but that was chosen instead. Theres all kinds of reasons we can speculate, and reasons that are given, in the end, we still cant fly it in Prepar3d. Our best and only hope now is X-plane as someone mentioned. 

Too bad license transfer wasnt allowed. Id give you mine to use in FSX. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

4 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Almost every flight simmer talks fondly of the MD-11, so people saying "it didn't sell" does not ring true. I'd love PMDG to modernize this for P3D. My understanding is former team members did the work on this and no longer are part of the team, making it hard for PMDG to continue supporting it, and if they tried to create a P3D version they'd have to start all over again. As a freighter the aircraft is still going strong and not going to disappear from the skies for a long time. - David Lee

+1 

That's true, and PMDG stated in past it didn't sell well becouse it was pirated. 

For me it's a very special aircraft and i'd love to see it in P3D V4

We digress, but one could hope that Mr. Thomas Ruth creates a very nice MD-11, including functional VC, as he has already done with his DC-10. Granted it won't have the systems modelling of any PMDG product but  even so..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Being a MD-11X owner from day 1 is for sure an awesome experience for me as it is such an awesome aircraft. I will point out though that like Kyle was saying the aircraft is old, and its age does show. Even though the systems are in depth, and the bird flies like a dream she looks OLD. Definitely next to the NGX the old girls age really stands out.

27 minutes ago, lodestar said:

+1 

That's true, and PMDG stated in past it didn't sell well becouse it was pirated. 

For me it's a very special aircraft and i'd love to see it in P3D V4

Then they can release another MD-11 using similar protection methods to the other airplanes I am sure all of us are first in line to buy it - David Lee

I just wanted to chime in that I loved the MD-11 too. (past tense because I don't fly her anymore) Perhaps PMDG will surprise us with something none of us was expecting after the dust settles from rolling out the remainder of the PMDG catalog to P3D v4 and the DC-3 for FSX and P3D goes on sale... Because you know, deep underground somewhere, someone from PMDG is working on something new and exciting.

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

4 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Almost every flight simmer talks fondly of the MD-11, so people saying "it didn't sell" does not ring true.

Do you have the number of sales for the plane? I would think this is something that PMDG themselves would know.

• Upvote 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

26 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Then they can release another MD-11 using similar protection methods to the other airplanes I am sure all of us are first in line to buy it - David Lee

i belive it has more to do with former PMDG members, so it's probably never going to happen unfortunately

6 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

A modern day Boeing/Airbus such as the 787/A350/A380 would probably outsell a 757/767. Majority of simmers want to fly the newest aircraft in the sky, it’s probably only a small proportion of diehard fans that would want to fly a 757/767. 

But I digress, only PMDG know what’s coming after the 747-8/DC6 for FSX/P3D. Personally, I’m still hoping for the 777-200ER family.

I agree- The new modern airframes will be more attractive as they represent a more realistic platform that currently exists. This is especially true for RW pilots that utilize PMDG for training or simmers who want the most realistic sim on the market.

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

17 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have never understood the "wanting to only fly routes that a real aircraft uses" mentality. A massive advantage of flight simulation is that you can fly any aircraft on any route at any time in any colour scheme that you like!

Well the mindset is that it is not a simulation if you are flying a combination that doesn't exist in the real world. For it to be a simulation it has to mirror what is going on in reality.