Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

And now for the good news!

I went to Simmarket to purchase the upgrade for Justsim LOWI and when trying to pay by PayPal I noticed that they are now charging and additional 1.5% surcharge for using this service. In all the years I have been using PayPal I've never been surcharged by anyone for using this service and my personal opinion is that this is a surcharge that shouldn't be passed to the customer. Just wanted to let you all know. Personally I will no longer purchase any products from them that continue to have this surcharge  and if this means going without the product because they have a monopoly over it, then so be it.

Regards

There are more and more vendors that let the customers pay he surcharge. Best solution: Pick a different payment method.

PayPal offer me a secure way of making a quick payment while safeguarding my credit card details, something quite important these days.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why people get so bent out of shape about it.  Just use a credit card - and if you have to use paypal, its only another 30c ?  Considering everything you spend on the hobby, its not going to break your budget - and paypal is safe.

• Upvote 2

I think Erich is right. I don't care if the 1.5% is hidden in the product price or if I have to pay it separately. :-)

I'm sorry it's not a question of the cost but rather a question of principle for me. Just wanted to let you know, and as far as I'm concerned people can proceed as they wish.

If they fully disclose the charge upfront, as they do,  that's okay by me.  Charging without disclosure would be an issue for me and become a matter of principle.

Well in the US where citizens cry about paying taxes, the taxes are eliminated and replaced with "convenience fees" or "transfer fees" or insert any other general term.  So that way we all feel great inside that we are paying lower taxes only to be paying the fees that replaced the taxes.  Lol. 

Its not a huge deal. 

Wait! where is the good news?

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Maybe some people don't realize this, but Paypal takes a percentage of any sales transaction from the seller,

From the Paypal website:

Goods and services – Purchase payments:

There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), the fee for each transaction is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive.

so I assume this surcharge is just a partial offset of that.

Seems fair to me...

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

1 hour ago, ideoplastic said:

I went to Simmarket to purchase the upgrade for Justsim LOWI and when trying to pay by PayPal I noticed that they are now charging and additional 1.5% surcharge for using this service. In all the years I have been using PayPal I've never been surcharged by anyone for using this service and my personal opinion is that this is a surcharge that shouldn't be passed to the customer. Just wanted to let you all know. Personally I will no longer purchase any products from them that continue to have this surcharge  and if this means going without the product because they have a monopoly over it, then so be it.

Regards

PayPal charges the vendor twice the amount that other services like credit cards charge so let's punish the vendor.

We absolutely should vote with our wallets and that's why I choose to use my credit card or interact instead of PayPal.

You'll poop your pants when you see PayPals currency conversion fee. 

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I think a full apology is in order on my part regarding my earlier comments regarding the PayPal surcharge. It wasn't until I read some of your replies and a brief conversation with PayPal that I finally accepted that PayPal does indeed charge the vendors for each transaction.

So my sincerest apologies to all for post and for assuming things in the heat of the moment without having first checked the facts. My temper sometimes gets in the way. I have also apologised unreservedly to Simmarket.

Best regards to all.

• Upvote 2

I have been buying a substantial amount of product from a non-profit for a couple of years, thousands of dollars, and PayPal charges them.  They are passing it on because they have to.  I just pay by cash or some other means.  But it's PayPal, not the merchant.

1.5% is just half of what PayPal charges the seller, I personally don't think is a bad move many seller/s include the whole 3% in the price.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Since this topic is already being discussed and doesn't have anything to do with P3D, I'm going to lock this thread and you guys can continue at the link below if you wish.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator