Sign in to follow this  
Albin

Long hual flight on vatsim

My flights are usely under 2 hours because under the cruise it's so boring, unless it's atc online all the way to my destenation. So if  I would do a long hual flight, 6 hours for example. Can I then disconnect under the cruise and reconnect when I approaching top of decent? 

No. I'm 99.9% certain, that you can't do that. Also, as far as I aware, you aren't allowed starting a flight mid-air on VATSIM. It should be noted, that I'm not a huge VATSIM pilot (yet) so maybe someone who's more into the nitty-gritty stuff, can chime in? :smile:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Actually Albin, that is exactly what VATSIM recommends, disconnecting during cruise if you are going to be away from the computer during the cruise portion and then reconnecting prior to descent.  Just be aware that some ACARS programs, if you are flying with a virtual airline, recognize that disconnect and may stop tracking your flight, losing any VA credit for that flight.  If the VA uses VATAWARE to verify your flight...which is wrong for any VA to do in my opinion...that program takes it's data feed directly from the VATSIM servers.  If you disconnect, VATAWARE can no longer track your flight and it will never show in your stats for the VA to verify.

If you are going to be at the computer anyway doing other things while in cruise just stay connected but listening for any controller contacts and pilot transmissions that may affect you.

There are several programs that will let you "look" in the area you'll be reconnecting...I use VATSPY...so you can make sure you don't reconnect near someone and spoil their flight and yours.  They also let you see if there are VATSIM controllers online in that area for you to immediately contact.

Randy

14 minutes ago, Ramjett said:

Actually Albin, that is exactly what VATSIM recommends, disconnecting during cruise if you are going to be away from the computer during the cruise portion and then reconnecting prior to descent.  Just be aware that some ACARS programs, if you are flying with a virtual airline, recognize that disconnect and may stop tracking your flight, losing any VA credit for that flight.  If the VA uses VATAWARE to verify your flight...which is wrong for any VA to do in my opinion...that program takes it's data feed directly from the VATSIM servers.  If you disconnect, VATAWARE can no longer track your flight and it will never show in your stats for the VA to verify.

If you are going to be at the computer anyway doing other things while in cruise just stay connected but listening for any controller contacts and pilot transmissions that may affect you.

There are several programs that will let you "look" in the area you'll be reconnecting...I use VATSPY...so you can make sure you don't reconnect near someone and spoil their flight and yours.  They also let you see if there are VATSIM controllers online in that area for you to immediately contact.

Randy

so, I can disconnect and reconnect if I'm not in controlled airspace or around some other aircraft. 

Have I understood this right? 

56 minutes ago, Albin said:

so, I can disconnect and reconnect if I'm not in controlled airspace or around some other aircraft. 

Of course.

What you must not do is stay connected and walk away (i.e. leave your connection unattended). If you are going to be away for more than a couple of minutes and you are not under ATC control, simply disconnect from the network. You can then reconnect when you are back.

Don't overthink the reconnecting thing -- the spirit of the rule is basically a common sense "make sure you don't reconnect on top of someone else or somewhere you might disrupt operations with your sudden appearance" -- i.e. on short final, in the middle of an approach sequence etc. Given typical VATSIM traffic densities this is very unlikely to be a problem except in terminal areas. Just check Vatspy or similar to make sure you are not going to appear on top of someone else and reconnect (you will need to resend your flight plan if you have been disconnected for more than a few minutes).

For long hauls if you are around the PC just set the pilot client on speakers and if someone tries to contact you, you will get the notice.

I have vPilot on separate sound playback device so I set this to loud in speakers and I will hear the "ding-dong" when someone calls me.

I too use VATSPY for monitoring active ATC along my route which can be done from a mobile device away from PC. I update its airspace data from the relevant post on VATSIM forum that I follow.

VATAWARE parses the flight record if the flight is not completed on line (landing at Flight Plan's destination) or if connection is lost for ~1 hour.

If you reconnect within the hour it will continue logging but you'll just see the missing data on its chart with dotted lines.

If you reconnect after hours it WILL show your A to B flight but the track recorded will be only the on line portion of it after your connection, not the one you did hours ago at your departure.

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440