Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

A test pilot report on the Carenado C337H Skymaster in Prepar3d v4.

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That's some great test pilot work there, sarge. :happy:

I've also been testing the default FSX Cessna 172. Here she is, in P3D v4, over Glacier National Park.

Default FSX aircraft uses only XML gauges, so there is no reason that they can't work in P3Dv4, any plane which uses DLL gauge can't work 100%, depends for what that gauge is used, for example RealAir planes uses gauge for some sounds, so plane works but some sounds missing, same for Aerosoft Twin Otter..

All my Carenado and Alabeo planes does not work - 32bit gauge file for significant functionality and look, Lionheard Pacer pack uses some special gague too + same sound gauge as RealAir do. Fully functional is for example Lionheart Kodiak

Tried the Virtualcol -8 and EMB 190 and they seem good. Took the -8 from New Haven KHVN to Bradley KBDL. No inflight failures noted.

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

I've also been testing the default FSX Cessna 172. Here she is, in P3D v4, over Glacier National Park.

gnp%202017-6-7_1-37-20-433_zpswaxagdys.j

Y'all will note that:

• We've got the full panel AND a roof this time
  • The aircraft is shiny side up

Definite improvements compared to the C337H.

No specific problems noted during the test flight, and you'll see that the frames per second in VC mode is over 200 - this is the best result I've seen from any aircraft in this sim. The G1000 variant also works fine, but frames are only around 130.

The panel looks pretty old-school in VC mode, but in VR mode this aircraft is actually pretty good:

• Instruments are readable.
  • Eye position is nearly correct, unlike a lot of other planes Ive flown in v4
  • Cabin size is appropriate.

So, this is a good plane for VR if you dont mind the lack of power of a C172, and if you're struggling to get smooth flight with more complex crafts.

Installation: Just copy the single folder, C172: 

(your HDD):\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172

And place this into the Simobjects\Airplanes folder in P3D v4. 30 seconds to install once you've got it in FSX, and I don't 

ALSO

I've been testing the Carenado C152. Same story, just install the aircraft into FSX and copy the single folder across, no EMT needed.

General report:

• Frames are not as strong here, around 130 in similar circumstances.
  • Flight test: no problems identified.

VR report: very easy to read the instruments - one of the more practical aircraft. Eyepoint well set. However, the tiny, tiny yokes are perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've seen so far in a VR cockpit!

Here she is over Spokane, I landed her at Orbx Felts Field and she handled very well.

If anyone else has experience with test piloting the Carenado aircraft, let us know!

Did you not have to copy anything from the sound or gauge folders to get the FSX default planes to work OK?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Sorry for the duplicate!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Did you not have to copy anything from the sound or gauge folders to get the FSX default planes to work OK?

No, just the folders out of Simobjects. All self contained, it would appear.

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

10 hours ago, b1bmsgt said:

No, just the folders out of Simobjects. All self contained, it would appear.

Not self contained, but some gauges and souds are included in P3D even aircraft itself is not present.

18 hours ago, Henry Street said:

I'm assuming by reading this thread that we don't understand why the C337 et al from Carenado are showing the "glass cockpit"?

It is because they require .dll files to be loaded in the dll.xml file. These .dll files are currently just 32 bit. These files include gauges and other functionality. These planes will not work properly in V4 until the .dll files are compiled as 64 bit.

EDIT: Any aircraft addon that uses only XML gauges should work properly in V4 with a simple copy from FSX or V3.

Regards the EMT, you are playing with fire.

Hey Harry,

RE: playing with fire - we're test pilots, this is what we do. We're willing to risk serious injury, death or even a full re-install of Prepar3d if necessary to 'push the envelope' a little further. :happy:

Re: "I'm assuming by reading this thread that we don't understand why..."

I think we understand that 32 bit .dll files are potentially troublesome in a 64 bit sim. However, from other threads it's been suggested that NONE of our aircraft will work in P3D v4, but there was also some opinions expressed that some Carenado GA planes would be good to have. Hence this test pilot project - we want to document PRECISELY what works, and what doesn't. As you can see if you read through this thread, for the Carenado fleet it's highly variable:

1. - We have some planes that perform flawlessly, and I've already had some enjoyable flights in them, e.g. the Cessna 172N Float.
  2. - There are other planes where some of the gauges don't work, but the plane is otherwise fully functional.
  3. - There are planes where the gauges work fine, but some structural elements - panels, roofs - are missing.
  4. - There are now two planes that I have test flown that have been uncontrollable despite application of the most advanced test pilot skills that we were able to apply to the situation. 

Overall, the level of function is better than I had been led to believe. M/Sgt Russ has also achieved some great results.

Why are we doing this:

- It's good to have some classic GA aircraft to fly. In addition, some of my fleet of Carenado planes have not flown in years - P3D versions were never released for some - and it's nice to see some old friends back in the air. 

- It's fun to 'push the envelope', and see which of these aircraft that we're not meant to be able to use will actually function in whole or part.

In addition, I now fly almost exclusively with a HMD, but P3Dv4 - unlike AF2 - does not easilly cope with the frame rates. There's therefore a new role for older, simple aircraft that will allow users to achieve the performance goals necessary for the smooth VR experience that is required for longer simulation sessions. In my test reports, I've provided information on VR usability where appropriate.

Hopefully some other simmers have dusted off the older Carenados and given them a go! Now I'm back from my sleep, it's back to Carenado testing time... 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Todays Flight Test Report:

Tried the Captain Sim 737: Well... not so good. All cockpit instruments and switches were non-functional, although there were no transparencies. On looking at the external model, the landing gear was missing. Oh well, this is the first one on Capt Sim's upgrade list. No flight test. Uninstalled awaiting upgrade.

Carenado Rockwell commander: transparent cockpit. No test flight yet.

Carenado T-34 Mentor: Some missing gauges, but flies well.

Carenado Seneca II: Not transparent, but missing gauges. Flight test OK.

Carenado V35B Bonanza: Transparent. No flight test yet.

I use Air Manager on my IPad for instruments, so this isn't a problem for me. I use a view that just shows the glareshield forward. This also works for the transparent cockpit ones.

More to follow...

Russ

• Like 1

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

Now here's a test result that I find very interesting.

The aircraft in question is Carenado's SR22 Turbo. In the picture, you'll note that the custom G1000 works - both the PFD and ND are functional, with the buttons tested all working correctly. Given that some basic steam gauges fail on other Carenados, I was not expecting that the G1000 would be working so well.

SR22_zps9rceplne.jpg

There are, however, some issues that I think render this aircraft unsuitable for general aviation use by the average pilot. The main issue is that there is no control of pitch. This is the second Carenado where I have encountered this problem during test flights, the other being the CT210M (my previous test). This is not a serious problem for test pilots, of course:

• The aircraft wants to pitch up, leading to a stall.
  • Simply use the ailerons to roll to the left, at a 90 degree bank angle.
  • Now apply full right rudder, to keep the nose of the aircraft at the desired pitch.

As you can see, I manged to line up with a pretty decent natural runway - not quite the Hudson, but close enough. And - good news! - I nearly reached it, with the mountainside landing being somewhat rough but almost survivable.  

I replaced the air file with a renamed file from another aircraft, and whilst this seemed to improve the pitch-up tendency, no elevator control was obtained.

It's a nice looking aircraft that would be fun to fly in P3D v4. If anyone knows why the pitch - but not the roll or yaw control - is malfunctioning, please let us know!

Summary:

Carenado SR22T: gauges functioning, but malfunctioning control surfaces, some engine performance problems and also a missing floor.

Carenado CT210M Centurion: very challenging aircraft to fly, severe pitch issues with no elevator control available. Also, no front panel. Test flight did not end well (see picture below). However, gauge function is excellent!

CT210M_zpsnucejjlo.jpg

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

So, at the conclusion of Phase One of the Carenado aircraft in P3D v4 test, this is what we know (based on the test flights that Russ and I have completed).

The following Carenado planes are flyable:

• Cessna 152 - no problems
  • Cessna 172N - no problems
  • Cessna 172N Float - no problems
  • Cessna 182 - only one gauge (attitude indicator), but flies well
  • T-34 Mentor: Some missing gauges, but flies well.
  • Seneca II: Not transparent, but missing gauges. Flight test OK.
  • Piper Archer: flies well, mostly functional but missing turn coordinator and VSI
  • Cherokee - OK visually and flew as expected, but some of the instruments were missing.
  • Mooney M20J - flies well, but only airspeed indicator, attitude indicator and GPS are functional.

There may be more, but that is what has been successfully tested so far.

If you just move the simobjects folder from FSX to P3D v4, I doubt you'll experience any troubles. In my attempts to get some of the newer Carenados working, I've moved quite a bit more than this. Based on tonight's test flight in the Cessna 182, I may have gone a step too far. What the....??? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: 

What%20the_zpsi1gnxkvg.jpg

Anomalies I can cope with, but that is just too odd! :biggrin:

Oz

Lol..i really hope that carenado update their fleet as soon as possible, I can't live without them, I'm not that kind of guy who want the maximum realism, and by the way, carenado planes are very lights performance wise, apart those glass panel fps hog which I stay away a thousand miles from them, anyway luckily I already have the 172 zipped in some folders of my pc...the question is  where?? 

On 08/06/2017 at 11:55 PM, denny9 said:

Lol..i really hope that carenado update their fleet as soon as possible, I can't live without them, I'm not that kind of guy who want the maximum realism, and by the way, carenado planes are very lights performance wise, apart those glass panel fps hog which I stay away a thousand miles from them, anyway luckily I already have the 172 zipped in some folders of my pc...the question is  where?? 

Agreed, I'm realizing that the most important thing about a flightsim to me is the aircraft, and these appear to be the addons that will need most work to get ported over to v4.

Wouldn't mind a go in that new Premier 1A in v4!

Not quite sure what happened in that last flight, I think that's the texture of the pilot's face and torso that's been plastered on those trees. :blink:

In case there's anyone really missing their Carenados, and was scared off by that picture - that's only going to be a problem when you move a whole bunch of folders over, which is what's going to be required to make the newer planes almost-functional.

Much more practically, the older planes that we've listed above work fine if you just copy over the specific folder where you previously installed them e.g:

Look in your old sims root folder for

\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C172II N

and copy it to the root folder of your P3D v4 installation.

If you haven't got the aircraft already installed, you can just make a folder called 'FSX', and install into there. The old Carenado installers don't seem to even care what the install folder is called, or whether there's anything else at all in there. Installing into an empty folder will let you check exactly what files and new folders are being added, so you can then transfer these to your beautiful, precious P3D v4 folder with care.

As these somewhat-ancient Carenados are not up to modern standards, I had thought that I might never fly them again. However, the lack of other planes for our new sim means that they're out of the hangar and back in the air. In addition, I'm finding that they're great planes for VR use. You'll need to adjust the eye point a little so you're sitting in the right place, just look in the aircraft.cfg for the section below: (this is my adjusted position for the C172N)

[Views]
eyepoint=-3.5,-0.85,1.75      //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

- that's forward, to the right and up respectively for the three values, as the numbers become more positive, with all numbers measured in feet- so if you want your eyepoint one foot higher, you'd change the last number from 1.75 to 2.75.

Add in Envtex, PTA, AS for v4, ASCA, a chunk of supersampling (1.5) and some great scenery, and these old Carenados are absolutely fantastic for a smooth, evening VR flight over the mountains (even the C152, if you're brave!).

Oz