Sign in to follow this  
captain420

8-14 FPS sitting at airport in P3D v4?

This is sad and painful at the same time. I will be using the current scenario: FB KSFO HD, FTX Global, FTX openLC NA, FTX Trees HD, FTX Northern California, Active Sky P3D4, ASCA, MyTraffic Pro 6, Global Ships AI Package and ChasePlane. I am getting around 8-14 fps (it the weather is raining and very cloudy it'll be 8), just sitting at the runway in the PMDG 747 v3 in P3D v4. But if the weather is not so bad I'll get around 14fps, which is still acceptable to me, once I'm up in the air, it'll speed up. I am running at 4K but my graphic settings are very reasonable. This only happens while I'm sitting at the airport, as soon as I take off, fps starts increasing to 20fps and up, and after awhile through midflight, it'll stabilize at around 30+ fps.

Can someone else with the following add-ons test to see if they can get better performance? Who knows what it will be like once FTX Vectors and Meshes are in the mix as well. :( Things aren't looking so good no more as I thought.

The only tweak I am using is TEXTUREMAXLOAD=30, and I was using TEXTURE_EXP_LOAD=10 as well, but I removed that and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I tried lowering my AA down to 2xMSAA from 4xSSAA and the fps is still the same.

I really hope that either PMDG, LM, or FB or ORBX can optimize this somehow. Because sitting at the airport should give me better frames than that. This is dynamic lights and reflections off too. Such a shame because I really wanted the dynamic lights on. Not sure if I can fine tune Active Sky for better performance while sitting at the airport. Here are my settings:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

That's a ridiculously heavy scenario you've painted add-on wise. 

But for that area, first thing I'd do is turn water to Low and turn the LOD radius down. 

Change your resolution to 1920 x 1080 and see what your FPS is.  Also look at you GPU percentage of use at the moment.  If at 100 your going to struggle with the weather.

i also run a 4K monitor but while at KMEM by FSDT during low overcast and rain my gpu, a 980ti pegged out and my frames hovered around 20.  Changed resolution and back to running my normal 30.

Sean Green

Reduce your texture resolution and your cloud density back one notch.

• Upvote 1

Cloudy conditions using Active Sky really seem to take a heavy toll on performance... much more so than similar conditions generated from just using a weather theme.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the tips, I will try them out and see if it helps further improve my performance. I want to make the best setup for IFR flying, so I'm assuming that you would want the cloud draw distance at maximum for the immersion? 

I believe there were some tweaks for Active Sky as well to make the sim run better, but I forgot exactly which settings need to be made there. But for the time being I'll play around with what you guys suggested.

It's a shame though. I only get sluggish performance while sitting at the airports only, when I'm airborne my performance returns to normal. I really wish I didn't have to dial back on my water settings, etc. I wish LM would implement a dynamic way of loading the only necessary resources while at the airport, so that you get smooth frames while grounded.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

And ensure all your addons are officially released as v4 products... not just a new installer.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

TEXTURE_EXP_LOAD=10

What's this?

Disable Orbx NorCal, OR turn off some of the options in Orbx NorCal (especially docks).

Disable MyTraffic 6.  (UTLive can work in V4 also but you need to manually setup and it's not offically supported and seems to have less of an FPS impact)

Turn your AG distance down one notch.

Use 2XSSAA or less.

For that CPU/GPU and list of add-ons, you're asking it to do a lot at 4K res.

You may also want to play around with AffinityMask to see if that helps, but I'd do that as a last option.

You can save graphics settings ... I have several based on what my load will be and even day vs. night (I like DL at night).  The benefit in V4 is you can change graphics profiles while flying without having to worry about OOMs.

Cheers, Rob.

What did you get before in V3?  I would disable ORBX stuffs and try again.  If you are flying the heavy, why use ORBX?  You should also consider lower your settings too as others suggested.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Okay, I played around with a lot of adjustments to the settings and found out the biggest one that caused the FPS drop. It's the cloud draw density. I lowered it down one notch from MAX to HIGH and that gave me a huge fps increase. Somehow the clouds need to be more optimized either LM or Active Sky has to fix this issue. This is the FPS killer right here.

Jazzfan and Maddog were right on the money with ASCA...

9 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Okay, I played around with a lot of adjustments to the settings and found out the biggest one that caused the FPS drop. It's the cloud draw density. I lowered it down one notch from MAX to HIGH and that gave me a huge fps increase. Somehow the clouds need to be more optimized either LM or Active Sky has to fix this issue. This is the FPS killer right here.

Interesting i somewhat same issue

My fps drop dramatically and stutters

From using 4xssaa 

And shimmering is horrible and jaggies at some flytampa and fsdt airports.using 4xmsaa

Where.by 4msaa in v3 .4with 4k 

Addon airports were crisp

If developers of most addons i have start to move towards xplane also

Ide leave p3d in a heartbeat

This is a joke

Money just thrown away.Some of us work really hard to earn a living and spend a load of money on a hobby and can barely use it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

This is a joke

Money just thrown away.Some of us work really hard to earn a living and spend a load of money on a hobby and can barely use it.

Cry me a river. The product haven't been out more than two weeks and whine whine whine. 

• Upvote 8

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I'm not sure whose to blame for the horrendous performance here, but it seems that the clouds are a huge FPS killer here. I'm thinking HiFi needs to optimize Active Sky more. Perhaps running the sim without it would yield much better performance for now.

As of my fps before in P3D v3, it's been a while and I can't tell you exactly, but I think they were around 15-23fps while sitting at the airport which is still much better than what I'm getting now in P3D v4 with even less addons than in P3D v3.

Rob, that setting is the terrain detail resolution level I believe. the default is 8, and setting it to 10 quadruples the default value if I'm not mistaken. Sorry I meant TEXTURE_EXP_SIZE

8 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Interesting i somewhat same issue

My fps drop dramatically and stutters

From using 4xssaa 

And shimmering is horrible and jaggies at some flytampa and fsdt airports.using 4xmsaa

Where.by 4msaa in v3 .4with 4k 

Addon airports were crisp

If developers of most addons i have start to move towards xplane also

Ide leave p3d in a heartbeat

This is a joke

I understand the frustration, just I don't understand why you don't just reduce your settings? By lowering settings you should be able to find what is causing your slowdown.