Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Change avatar default camera view

Does someone know if there's a way to change the default camera view for avatar mode from 3rd person to 1st person (no model)?

Richard Åsberg

When in avatar mode, right click on the screen. The popup menu has selections for what you are looking for.

What exactly is the avatar mode used for? It's nice to have this feature but now sure what one would use it for?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

11 minutes ago, Jazzfan said:

When in avatar mode, right click on the screen. The popup menu has selections for what you are looking for.

I know and that's what I'm using but my question is how to change the default view from 3rd person to 1st person so I don't need to change it each time.

5 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What exactly is the avatar mode used for? It's nice to have this feature but now sure what one would use it for?

I use it to simply look around and sometimes I take a walk. Pretty cool doing this in VR since it will feel like you're actually there in the same way it does when you're in the cockpit.

Richard Åsberg

Oh Captain... you're so full of questions... :emu:

Why is used for ? Well you need to figured it out by yourself, since we all are different and have different ideas. You can use it for Preflight Walk-around p3d, for an example.

Google it, there's many more ...entertaining ways to use it.

On a (much) lighter note.. you can jump from 122.000 feet. Without a chute. So much fun - #feel.like.a.Felix. :biggrin: Baumgartner.

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

how to change the default view from 3rd person to 1st person so I don't need to change it each time.

Ok, I get what you're saying. The only way I have found to do this is to save the scenario. ie; using the default a36. I enter avatar mode, with the avatar standing just behind the plane, and setup the 1st person view, and save the scenario. The A36 will be saved as well. On restart, select that scenario again, and it will open up with the avatar sitting beside the A36 in the 1st person view point. Unfortunately, the views that I had set in the A36 have changed back to default. This something that maybe should be mentioned to LM.

ps, if you save this as the default flight, the 1st person view with the avatar sticks. I just tested this by starting P3D and selecting the F35 in the scenario menu. The sim loaded with the avatar standing beside the F35. 1st person view was still set. As long as you do not mind starting your sim session in avatar mode standing outside your 737, you should be good to go.

Edited by Jazzfan
added ps.

Not sure if starting in Avatar mode will work that good in VR and FlyInside but will give it a try.

I was hoping there was a setting in a cfg somewhere I could simply change.

Richard Åsberg

If you are adventurous, each avatar view is assigned a guid identifier. The 3rd person (above/behind) view is the default. If you swap the guid for the 1st person view with the 3rd person view, it may result in the 1st person becoming the new default view for the avatar. This is without having to save any scenarios. 

edit; i tried swapping the guid's between the default view and the 1st person no model, with no luck. The 3rd person view remains as default avatar view. I'm going to stick with saving the scenario, and ctrl+shift+e into the cockpit after I've completed the walk-around.

Now we're cooking ;) 

Will give it a go! 

Richard Åsberg

This is just a WAG but is there a specific camera.cfg file for the Avatar? You could probably set one up there. ALso check out custom cameras, it may be possible to assign one to the Avatar.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So I've now tried it and it works really good by simply swapping the GUIDs in the sim.cfg file for the avatar you choose to use.

An additional question just out of curiosity, in what file is the selected avatar saved? And is this per a/c or regardless what a/c you're using?

Reason I ask is I first didn't see the new camera view and also I got the default avatar rather than the new one I picked. I thought I changed what avatar should be used by putting in the title for the new avatar under the avatar section in Prepar3D.cfg but guess it's saved elsewhere and maybe is somehow connected to the selected aircraft.

I guess I can find out myself by digging some more but thought I would ask if someone maybe already knows?

Richard Åsberg