Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

FSX SE/ PREPARED V4

I had FSX SE did a clean install then installed PREPARED V4. I have all of the PMDG Aircraft but none will work unless I purchase all new packages. The Queen of the Skies cost $89. now it looks like I would have to pay $135. for the PREPARED V4. Looks like FSX SE again on the same drive to save a bundle of money down the road. Food for thought for anyone with the same situation.

You can add A2A GA planes & the GTN 750 to the list off adons we need to buy again. It's the primary reason why I never switch to P3D.

P3D v4 is has enough new features to switch, but I'm going to upgrade my videocard first.

By that time most of my favorite addon should be available for v4.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Most of these developers offered discounts at one time or another to switch from FSX to earlier versions of P3d. One can't expect such gracious behavior to continue endlessly. It is to the third party developer's advantage to cut down on the the number of legacy flight sims that are supported. That's just common sense. If anyone is complaining about this now, just wait, the 64 bit speed bump is a real incentive for 3rd party developers to stop supporting FSX. It's already apparent that most of the major developers are focusing on XP11 and P3d V4. And more commercial developers would provide add-ons for XP-11 is there wasn't such a large backlog of freeware add-ons that have been developed by the XP community. Eventually the XP community will realize what the Microsoft flight sim community realized, that you get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

looks like you're using some pretty old stuff that you expect to work with sims that came out YEARS ahead....

14 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You can add A2A GA planes & the GTN 750 to the list off adons we need to buy again. It's the primary reason why I never switch to P3D.

P3D v4 is has enough new features to switch, but I'm going to upgrade my videocard first.

By that time most of my favorite addon should be available for v4.

You are very misinformed. A2A will give out free updates for their V3 to V4 planes.

Now if you are talking about FSX to P3D, it has been that way from when the products, launched, so misinformed from the start  I would say...

16 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

You are very misinformed.

FSX to P3D is a free upgrade?

I think I'll just stop posting on AVSIM. Since I do not know what the heck I'm talking about.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

No, they are separate versions.

As for FSX, many should of pulled the plug years ago when most developers were offering P3D discounts and versions of new products. It wasn't a secret that FSX was a dead platform.

To make the switch now, yeah it's gonna cost you. Probably better to do it now then wait yet another year and dig the hole even deeper.

What threw me off with PMDG is the fact that I recently purchased the Queen of the Skies .( I already had the old 747 ). I gladly spent the $89. They made this upgrade to PREPARED V4 in a matter of days, not years like their other aircraft. And now I have to pay $135. I realize they're out to make money and was actually expecting to pay a difference between the newly released Queen and the PREPARED V4 Version.

Why not just keep both FSX and P3D installed and continue to use the 747 in FSX assuming it works well enough, but when you get any new addons get the P3D version. Spread the cost out over time instead of a big hit all at once to cut over.

Barry Friedman

I saw the "primetime" to switch to P3D at version 2. The clouds and rendering were so much better, and 3rd parties really started to take hold then. I expected V3 to be 64 bit but no such fortune.Those who did not make the switch at or before version 2 may want to wait for native 64bit add-ons in V4, it may make the transition a little less painful. Like Barry Friedman said, use FSX for the PMDG products you have and P3Dv4 for any new add-ons.

No doubt there are growing pains for all of us, some more than others. But when them pains go away there will be a new set of growing pains about one thing or another. Its the nature of this thing we call flight simming and the power PC's we need to keep up - always changing one way or another. 

Sticking with FS9 & FSX is an option of course, I still fly in early versions of MSFS often enough. But once developers get creative with V4, its going to be more and more painful remaining in the past.

• Upvote 1

Why not just keep both FSX and P3D installed and continue to use the 747 in FSX assuming it works well enough, but when you get any new addons get the P3D version. Spread the cost out over time instead of a big hit all at once to cut over.

That's exactly what I decided to do. Thanks

12 hours ago, DJJose said:

upgrade my videocard first.

Same here.

Can you have scenery add ons installed into both FSX and P3D at the same time? I bought P3Dv4 at the weekend but intend to use it alongside FSX for some time until everything is compatible.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

3 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

Can you have scenery add ons installed into both FSX and P3D at the same time? I bought P3Dv4 at the weekend but intend to use it alongside FSX for some time until everything is compatible.

As long as the basic system of the sims is comparable (FSX-P3D, P3Dv2-P3Dv3, etc), a lot of addons can use the same installation for more sims. If you install for one and you manually add them to the other, by editing the xml and cfg files accordingly.

For v4, some might give problems because P3D is drifting appart from the original FSX setup more and more, but the principle still works for a lot of addons. I'm doing this right now between v3 and v4 and most addons I tried work fine (Maybe an animation here and there that isnt working, but personally, I dont care that much...)

Cheers!

Maarten

Always remember that P3D, whatever version, MUST be considered as a different & separate program to FSX, & some add-ons are not compatible.

These mistakes have been made many times, & expectations & queries of free updates have been discussed many times.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...