Sign in to follow this  
flyingjafo

Long time FSX/P3D user trying XP11 for the first time... WOW!

So I only know the world of FSX and P3d for 10 years now and thought I would give the XP11 demo a try. I'm very impressed with the visual environment and lighting. The buildings, roads, traintracks, autogen trees, road traffic are all just breath taking when flying over Seattle in the demo. I'm trying my best to get used to the viewing menus and options for looking around as my brain wants to use p3d  keyboard strokes, it's almost like learning a new language on the fly. I'm trying to reassign keyboard commands over to the P3D world that I'm so used too. For you other P3D users... is there a way to do the " press down the space bar and use the mouse to pan around" trick in XP11 ? I also noticed the speed of the hat/pan button around on the joystick moves the view very slowly... is there a way too speed up the panning around while in the cockpit? I see some screen tearing/ Vsync issues only in the cockpit when I first look to the left... is there a good Vsync trick I need to know about?  I hate to sound fussy but if I can work out these three things that I don't have issues in P3D with, I will buy XP11 on my next payday. XP11 is just a few features away from killing P3D/ FSX, the visuals are awesome!

Thanks for any advice!

Jefferson

• Upvote 3

If you use windowed mode you don't need vsync.. It should solve your screen tearing issues

The Vsync can be activated in the Graphics settings screen, on the bottom left.

In the Keyboard settings screen, on the bottom, there's also an entry called "Reset keyboard bindigs to default for:", and you can choose "FSX".

There is a workaround to increase hatswitch speed, but it has a couple of issues. You should go to the joystick settings screen, click on the image of the hat switch, and then for each of the 4 directions (up, down, left, right), you change from "hat switch" to "custom", and then choose "Rotate view: pan left fast"/"right fast" and "Rotate view: tilt up fast"/"down fast". This has two disadvantages though: it only works for the 4 main directions (not for the 4 obliques directions), and when in external view the camera will rotate instead of orbiting around the aircraft.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I'm a longtime FSX user, and I too just gave the demo version a try. I really impressed!!! I think its time to make the move to X-Plane. I agree that changing is almost like learning a new language on the fly. They say that learning new things is good for old guys like me, so I guess I have no excuse not to make the move. Now if I can convince my kids to get it for me as a gift for father's day...

• Upvote 3

I made the switch about 6 months ago. I was an avid FSX user since the "green-line" days of the early Sub-Logic. Hey, flying is flying, right? I have not looked back. A few things that made me an avid X-Plane user:

1. The "flying" feel and physics of XP is closer to real world flying than anything I have tried before, and I have tried them all! I do fly GA in the real world and with XP and Pilotedge, my abilities are far better than anything in the past.

2. The "open" community of XP is amazing! Scenery development, airport design (WED) and just the ability to customize is worth the price of admission.

So yes, it is a new language but one that is easy to learn. 

• Upvote 4

I'm digging XP11 also, but the mouse wheel zoom drives my bananas when trying to change freq or gps.  Anyone know if mouse zoom can be disabled?

Demo on Saturday, bought it on Sunday. Trackir, Saitek  yoke, throttle, rudder pedals and 2nd throttle setup a breeze. Fluid frames with my oc'ed 2500k at 4.6 and nvidia 1070gtx. Will upgrade the rest of my system this summer. Love the dark realistic nights in XP11. FTX always too light for night. SOLD!!! 

• Upvote 1

:P Timothy Murphy

5 hours ago, flyingjafo said:

So I only know the world of FSX and P3d for 10 years now and thought I would give the XP11 demo a try. I'm very impressed with the visual environment and lighting. The buildings, roads, traintracks, autogen trees, road traffic are all just breath taking when flying over Seattle in the demo. I'm trying my best to get used to the viewing menus and options for looking around as my brain wants to use p3d  keyboard strokes, it's almost like learning a new language on the fly. I'm trying to reassign keyboard commands over to the P3D world that I'm so used too. For you other P3D users... is there a way to do the " press down the space bar and use the mouse to pan around" trick in XP11 ? I also noticed the speed of the hat/pan button around on the joystick moves the view very slowly... is there a way too speed up the panning around while in the cockpit? I see some screen tearing/ Vsync issues only in the cockpit when I first look to the left... is there a good Vsync trick I need to know about?  I hate to sound fussy but if I can work out these three things that I don't have issues in P3D with, I will buy XP11 on my next payday. XP11 is just a few features away from killing P3D/ FSX, the visuals are awesome!

Thanks for any advice!

Jefferson

Right click mouse and pan with the mouse, so much easier then having to press the space bar simultaneously. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

BTW, just before you cap out on your demo time, with your controls...go up the the menu, and have A.I. fly your plane, then sit back and enjoy an extended, useful session with the demo.  You might not be able to control the flight, but the A.I. pilot sure can....and will take you all around the Seattle Demo area...

You have to do this before you are controller, locked out of the demo....

12 hours ago, flyingjafo said:

is there a good Vsync trick I need to know about?

In graphics options, tick the box that says 'use vsync' :) (It's at the very bottom of the screen.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Yup, Plane 11 is undeniably quite a culture shock if you are used to ESP-based sims and particularly the keyboard shortcuts, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Some things worth checking out by the way...

Very good flight planner, which although it is 20 quid or so, is a big improvement over the default stuff: http://www.xpgoodway.com/

Better AI and other features (freeware version avalable to check it out, but greatly expanded and more customisable features if you cough up about 15 quid, including improved ATC). Be sure to check out their other products too, including a very cool A320: http://jardesign.org/x-life/www/

Some truly excellent airliners, well on par with stuff you can get for FSX or P3D if you are missing that big iron realism: http://flightfactor.aero/

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here