Sign in to follow this  
MadDog

P3Dv4 - Any way to fix the water?

Sadly, P3Dv4 offers no real advance on either the dreaded "blobby clouds" or the equally abysmal "oily/black water". Whilst so much in the sim has improved, these two pet hates of mine don't ever seem to be a priority. Every time I post in the LM forum I'm greeted by a rash of denials - yet follow any threads anywhere (like here) and you see plenty of people irritated by these two issues.

PTA (now 2.51) helps a little, but doesn't (can't) eradicate the problems entirely. From my conversations with Yuri (when he was developing previous versions of PTA), it appears the shaders code is *ancient* - some of it inherited from FS9 - with a fair bit of garbage and redundant/incorrect code.

If anyone wants to try PTA, then give my presets a whirl: http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

i turn on Bathymetry with orbx n america the carribe waters  has variance, are water textures less opaque than others? It looks like they are imo.

This thread is useless without screenshots ! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

14 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

PTA (now 2.51) helps a little, but doesn't (can't) eradicate the problems entirely.

Hi Adam,

I'm actually using your latest preset in 2.51 and it looks really good!  In fact, it's better than any other preset I've tried in 2.51 by a long shot.  I can tell that you've concentrated on trying to lighten up the water and it definitely helps (more than just a little).  Thanks for sharing your work and looking forward to further tweaks.