Sign in to follow this  
denali

NOLO 6dof Head Tracking $129 until June 9th

Hi Gang.  

NOLO is a VR room scale head tracking solution that performs almost as well as HTC Vive.  It also comes with 2 controllers.  It started as a Kickstarter campaign and is kinda a remake of the old Sony Playstation head tracking and controllers, Playstation Move.  

Now, why do we care here?  Because Oculus and Vive still are not quite at the resolutions most here may accept.  But there Are phones with higher resolutions on the market than the CV1 and Vive, and there are software tools such as Riftcat that will allow SteamVR and Oculus games to be played over Wifi stream or USB.  There is even a (pseudo) 4K VR headset, Pimax 4k, with reported precise rotational head tracking that is getting nice reviews for sitting simulations that connects with HDMI 1.4 (which does not really support 4K, heh, but is said to be acceptable) and has reported NO Screen Door Effect whatsoever.   Also, Oculus and Vive are expensive, and demand you place a supercomputer in your souped-up computer, which costs more doh!  You can have a phone, and health insurance, but not both and VR.

People were a little upset that the NOLO  release price was twice the $99 price expected at $200.  Still a good deal for what it does, but a big letdown for those who were following.

But then this guy who is an excellent source for dorky advice on VR and cheap VR Homesteading [hacking] has done us a Solid!  Look for his recent videos for NOLO  reviews.  He's got a $70 discount code for NOLO at the NOLO  store.  

I'm clearing this with the wife in the morning [Edit: Bought it in the middle of the night like a common burglar before letter her know.  Nice knowing ya'll!], and I'm considering busting the summer toy budget for a Pimax 4k (although I'm watching for realization of rumors of an improved model to be released soon).  First I'm going to see if recent Riftcat and P3D 4 improvements make my note 4 / Gear VR work more satisfactorily.  But I think the NOLO will improve the Gear VR, or even the Homido 1 I used to use, enough to justify it's purchase now, because I'll be able to Lean Into the Gauges to read them.

I'm highly recommending this.  I used to get paid by VCs to figure this stuff out.  It's HOT.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with anyone I'm talking about here.  Really.  I'm nobody.  Nothing to declare.)

Edited by vgbaron
removed direct link

What's ahead?  Pimax has an 8K headset with 200 FOV on the way.  NOLO is now working in partnership with Pimax.  And StarVR is expected to release this fall with 210 FOV as a Vive-ish system with controllers.  Yet, Oculus isn't expected to have a CV2 until 2019.

OK.  I see that price is still too much.  So I found an ideal route to purchasing VR hardware for those that need a little extra help.