Sign in to follow this  
davidhorobin

Reality XP Garmin GTN750 Installation Issue

Alvega I have tried everything head_check said to do.  It didn't work.  I think David has a point.  We paid as much for this product as X-Plane itself cost.  If you will check the thread at the top I had it working for a little while but the output was messed up.  There is a screenshot of what I saw.  We never got that fixed and then when I updated X-Plane the screens went black.

I would think if the installation program is not working correctly the developer should see if he can figure out what the problem is.  For a non-techie it is a real problem searching for all of the folders, files etc. and reinstalling over and over.

8 hours ago, Alvega said:

Didn't you read what i just posted? I had the same problem and fixed it, why don't you try doing what the guy said instead of crying? Some people...

Dear Alvega
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful post.
Yes, I have tried everything, including reinstalling the Garmin trainer and reinstalling the GTN750 several times.
in fact, many hours of my time have been given over to trying to get RealityXP's software working!
Why? - because my real world plane has a GTN750 (which is superb) and I want to practice instrument training on X-Plane with it running, since this would be very helpful.
But hey, whatever I try doesn't help and RXP seem to have technical help which is worse than anything I've ever experienced before - I've been three weeks at this already and, frankly, life is too short.
Come on RXP - prove me wrong - tell me how to get this thing going please.
Regards,
David

On June 27, 2017 at 0:53 PM, davidhorobin said:

Dear Alvega
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful post.
Yes, I have tried everything, including reinstalling the Garmin trainer and reinstalling the GTN750 several times.
in fact, many hours of my time have been given over to trying to get RealityXP's software working!
Why? - because my real world plane has a GTN750 (which is superb) and I want to practice instrument training on X-Plane with it running, since this would be very helpful.
But hey, whatever I try doesn't help and RXP seem to have technical help which is worse than anything I've ever experienced before - I've been three weeks at this already and, frankly, life is too short.
Come on RXP - prove me wrong - tell me how to get this thing going please.
Regards,
David

Can you do me a favor? Go to the folder C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GtnTrainer and unzip the file GTN_GDU620PCTrainer_6211.zip to a new folder. Then press the autorun to install. After that reinstall the GTN from the e-commerce installer. Then pick up your plane and go to plugins in X-Plane menu to open the GTN window. I bet that works if you follow it to the letter.

If it doesn't work tell us what error do you get.

Good luck.

ScreenHunter_24%20Jun.%2027%2016.35_zpsu

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, HWDALE said:

Alvega I tried your restore procedure and was able to get the screens to show up again but still have the distorted screens which the developer has not been able to fix.  I wonder if there is a solution to this problem?

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/120781-gtn-750-integration-into-default-cessna-172/#comment-1167880

Hmm, that could be a driver problem. Did you try reinstalling your video driver or a different driver?

Also check your antivirus quarantine to see if it didn't delete some dll related to the Garmin. I installed mine with antivirus off and to a folder excluded in the antivirus because i had problems the first time with AV on.

Make sure you have administrative rights also.

Other than that, i have no ideas.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

On June 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Alvega said:

Can you do me a favor? Go to the folder C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GtnTrainer and unzip the file GTN_GDU620PCTrainer_6211.zip to a new folder. Then press the autorun to install. After that reinstall the GTN from the e-commerce installer. Then pick up your plane and go to plugins in X-Plane menu to open the GTN window. I bet that works if you follow it to the letter.

If it doesn't work tell us what error do you get.

Good luck.

Dear Alvega
Thank you for your clearly presented suggestion.
I tried this but the problem is (as before) that GTN Trainer will not install because "Another version of this product is already installed ......"
The full error message is:-
"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel"
(If I could figure out how to post pictures on this forum, I'd show you a screen shot)

Clearly, I could try uninstalling the existing version of GTN Trainer and then re-install but I'd rather not, since it works fine with your product for FSX and I don't want to mess that up.
My aim is to get both your FSX and X-Plane versions working.
There must be some way to get your X-Plane version to use the existing GTN Trainer.
Could you please tell me what this is? (in clear, slow, non technical terms)
Thanks,
David

On June 27, 2017 at 3:14 AM, davidhorobin said:

17/06/26 19:52:16.272 13680 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.4.0.0
17/06/26 19:52:33.769 13680 WARN ] can't find trainer installer path

1) please make sure to install the latest version, it is v2.4.6.0

2) please go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\sim\", right click 'GTN Simulator.exe', select 'properties' (or equivalent), go to details and tell us what 'file version' is reading.

The latest Reality XP GTN is compatible with Trainer v6.1, v6.11 and v6.21

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

14 hours ago, HWDALE said:

still have the distorted screens ...  I wonder if there is a solution to this problem?

As a matter of fact, only 2 customers reported these artifacts, one with Intel video, the other with AMD.

We've been looking hard to this one and spend several days only to conclude it is almost certainly a driver bug of some sort. We can't repro and it makes it very difficult. This could be a third party plugin not restoring the GL state properly, other plugin injecting/intercepting OpenGL calls (like some that deal with clouds/weather), or an over clocked video card/temperature problem.

An example of these 'driver' issues, lately, another customer reported crashing GTN since he had changed video card (Nvidia). With a recent video card driver update, it seems now working fine.

Another example, a few days ago, there has been a report that there is a bug in Skylake and Kaby Lake Hyper-threading. Initially found out on Linux, it affects any system in fact: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html

The vast majority of customers having a working GTN, and the nearly zero crash/bug/faults reported on this forum tells us the product is sound. The errors you are having seem too be highly system specific and this makes it very hard to find a solution for now.

I'm still looking at possible resolution steps though, but now that we have exhausted trying all possible tests known so far, it takes a while to figure out new tests.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

9 hours ago, RXP said:

1) please make sure to install the latest version, it is v2.4.6.0

2) please go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\sim\", right click 'GTN Simulator.exe', select 'properties' (or equivalent), go to details and tell us what 'file version' is reading.

The latest Reality XP GTN is compatible with Trainer v6.1, v6.11 and v6.21

Dear RXP
Thanks for that.
My installed version of Garmin Trainer Lite was 5.13.0.1
From what you said,I figured that I had best uninstall this and install the latest version 6.
This I did and NOW THE GTN750 for X-Plane WORKS!
Thank you.
But guess what - the GTN750 for FSX doesn't work anymore! - doh!
Is there any way that your product for FSX can now be made to work too please?
Thanks,
David

19 hours ago, davidhorobin said:

This I did and NOW THE GTN750 for X-Plane WORKS!

This sound great!

However, this makes me wondering how we can make our customer experience better. As a matter of fact, the e-commerce installer has a 'readme' which tells among other things: "The GTN 650 requires to separately download and install the "Garmin GTN/GDU 620 PC Trainer software" (supports v6.21, v6.1.1)"

Then the RXP software installer, displays a 'readme' page with the mention (in BOLD RED): "This product requires Garmin GTN/GDU Trainer v6.21, v6.01.1, v6.01.0"

Now, you have to help us improving our solution: how could we make this information more prominent, in your opinion, so that it helps other customers not missing this information?

19 hours ago, davidhorobin said:

your product for FSX

Rest assured our product for FSX (and P3D) will work when released!

As for another product based on the GTN trainer, I was under the impression it was compatible with the latest trainer and you might want just to use their latest version.

3 hours ago, RXP said:

This sound great!

However, this makes me wondering how we can make our customer experience better. As a matter of fact, the e-commerce installer has a 'readme' which tells among other things: "The GTN 650 requires to separately download and install the "Garmin GTN/GDU 620 PC Trainer software" (supports v6.21, v6.1.1)"

Then the RXP software installer, displays a 'readme' page with the mention (in BOLD RED): "This product requires Garmin GTN/GDU Trainer v6.21, v6.01.1, v6.01.0"

Now, you have to help us improving our solution: how could we make this information more prominent, in your opinion, so that it helps other customers not missing this information?

Dear RXP
Please take a constructive view of what follows as it is meant to be helpful.
I am pleased that you recognize a problem with your customer service.
In truth, the last three weeks have been a terrible customer experience for me, while I battled to fix your product.
There are two things you should correct:-
1) The installer should work like an Apple product - "It just works" - In my case, it needed recognize that there was an old copy of Garmin Trainer Lite already installed and prompt to uninstall it or (even better) uninstall it for you.
2) You should offer prompt and effective customer service through your own web site and not force customers to somehow find this forum - that alone is a huge hurdle for many. It took me days to even be able to post a message on this forum.
I guess that there are many customers, like me, who bought your product, couldn't get it to work and gave up.
This is very bad business for you and deeply damaging to your reputation and to the reputation of flight simulation.
Honestly, truly, it just won't do in this day and age.
I wish you all the best and, by the way, when your GTN750 is working, it is awesome.
Thank you.
David

Finally - Please can you advise me on this - it should be easy I guess:-
The GTN won't 'stack'
I have clicked "Plugins > Reality XP GTN > GTN1 > Make window stack" but nothing happens.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

2 hours ago, davidhorobin said:

Please take a constructive view of what follows as it is meant to be helpful.
I am pleased that you recognize a problem with your customer service.

I always do, and I thank you for the feedback. These are very good points, and as always, nothing is black or white, just gray!

I like the idea of "it just works" and you have no idea how many things are designed this way in our products (a visible example is how the GTN automatically determines your aircraft type or the number of rotor blades - for the map icon -, or the speed limits - for the TAWS).

I'm grateful you point the deficiencies for us to improve upon.

A "warning" notice is a good idea and I'll see how the best we can do this. This is already implemented via the log files, if it proves to be feasible within the limited installer capabilities, we'll certainly do!

As a matter of fact, we've initially thought of deinstalling any older GTN Trainer on the hard drive, but we didn't want to make customers of another GTN trainer based product to flood their support forum. I guess they have already enough to deal with and if not, this might help showing courtesy is good for everyone, for once...

As for the support emails, honestly, we've had a number of service outage in the past, and I don't expect this to be better anytime soon. No matter what we try, there are always failures there and there, ISP adding anti-spam filters which block outgoing traffic back to our customers, etc... The forum is most likely the best place for now to deal with support, not only because it is reliable, but even more so because 90% of customers questions are already answered, and any answer benefit to everyone.

"Plugins > Reality XP GTN > GTN1 > Make window stack" but nothing happens.

The purpose of this function is to layout a nice stack of GTN windows. Provided you have 2 GTN windows opened:

1) position / resize the one you want at the top of the stack (say GTN#1)

2) "Plugin | Reality XP GTN | GTN1 | Make Window Stack" will automatically resize GTN#2 to the same dimensions as GTN#1, and position its window right below the GTN#1 window.

I wish you all the best and, by the way, when your GTN750 is working, it is awesome.

Thank you for your kind words and your patience with us!

On 6/27/2017 at 3:59 AM, Alvega said:

Didn't you read what i just posted? I had the same problem and fixed it, why don't you try doing what the guy said instead of crying? Some people...

I did that but it didn't work for me. Same error message from the installer.

John Callum   Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

Win 10, X-Plane 11.50, FS2020, Honeycomb Alpha, Saitek panels, HP Reverb G2

really i dont understand how xpreality president not detect the problem in his own program. I am allucinating

if the setup cant find the trainer in the garmin url....

Edited by puppi