Sign in to follow this  
Chock

How are we doing?

Just curious to know how people are getting on with the missions, achievements and lessons in FSW. I've hammered them quite a bit in my testing of the sim, since most of them are quite good fun to do and allow one to check things out in an entertaining fashion.

According to Steam, I have unlocked 51/59 (86%) of achievements, played FSW for 113 hours, and have 8 hours of free flight time logged.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi, Chock! Have you figured out how to complete the mission "The Impossible Turn?" It's driving me nuts!! Maybe it is truly impossible!!

Thanks!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Haven't flown many, but di fly a few free flights over Portugal.

FSW even includes my glider Base of Operations - LPMN - with it's new asphalt rw ! 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I keep getting a CTD...I wanted to see how my system holds up to a worse case default scenery, so I have been setting up a free flight from La Guardia NY (KLGA) with Fair Weather in the DA40.  So it starts at the default Rwy 4 I think and I take off, then do a sharp left turn until NYC is in view and fly that way with the intent of doing a couple of rooftop circles and then fly back and land.  I have been doing this for several days and of course frames will drop 12-15 FPS, but the last two days as soon as I come out of my initial left turn heading for the city, everything will freeze and CTD.  I did make some changes to Nvidia settings, but I restored it back to default and I still CTD.  Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated

Graphics Settings are all High except Scenery (Ultra) and Traffic (Low) - Windowed Mode

System Specs: i5 6600k, GTX 1070, DDR4 3200 32GB 

Nvidia Driver: 382.33

Just sitting at KLGA, the frame rates are in the 20s, even before I take off.  I understand I don't have the latest hardware, but something just isn't right somewhere.

Thanks!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

TBH gone back to FS9/FSX until FSW :- 1. Gets a bit more polish and, 2. Gets some jetliner action.

Judging by the rapid fall off of participation in this section of the forum seems the launch of P3Dv4 (which I haven't personally purchased) has rather diverted attention from DTG's efforts?

Done quite a few free flights but still need more time in each plane deciding which is my favorite. I'm really liking the PA28 at the moment. I've hardly done any of the missions though I plan to do so, but instead have been tinkering with the mission editor and having a lot of fun with that.

Barry Friedman

3 hours ago, simaddict said:

Hi, Chock! Have you figured out how to complete the mission "The Impossible Turn?" It's driving me nuts!! Maybe it is truly impossible!!

Thanks!

Mike

See vid link below,

The trick, as with all emergencies of any kind, is to assess the situation quickly, then make a decision quickly. As the saying goes: 'what is the first thing you do in an emergency? The answer - nothing: take a second or two to think what you should do, and having decided, then do something, and stick to that decision'.

Of course in this mission we are in the fortunate position of knowing the engine is going to quit, but in reality, one should always be flying and considering: 'what would I do right now if this went wrong?' so it's not that far fetched to be ready for it. The closest I've ever come to this situation in reality when flying, is when I had a glider winch launch tow cable break at an awkward height, leaving me with not enough room to land ahead, but not high enough above the field to do much else other than crash land in some unsuitable fields ahead of me, so what I did on that occasion, was gain what little height I could with the remaining airspeed from the launch, then I shoved the nose down to get as much airspeed on as possible, diving right at the trees on the perimeter of the airfield untill i didn't dare get any lower (had about 120 knots on the clock at that point), then with that very high airspeed, I knew I was going to be able to get the nose back up a little and pull off a very steeply banked turn, which enabled me to do a 180 and land back on the airfield downwind. Steeply banked turns bleed off quite a bit of speed, but the plus point is they cover a lot of compass degrees quickly.

There is a maxim in aviation which goes: if the engine quits, one should not try to turn back to the airfield (lots of even very good pilots have died trying to do that, including WW1 Ace James McCudden) but the caveat to that maxim should really be, don't turn back unless you really are certain you can do it, and for that you need either sufficient speed, or sufficient height which you can turn into speed, and if you have that, get the speed up really high, and don't arse about trying to nudge the thing round with the rudder and stretch the glide, because you will die doing that. So, with loads of speed, you can safely perform a steep turn (keeping in mind that your stall speed increases with greater bank angles). Thus the trick with that mission is to either gain craploads of height, and then dive it when the engine goes, or more preferably, keep the take off angle fairly flat and don't use flaps on take off, so your airspeed builds quickly. Get the gear up quick to help build speed with reduced drag, then when the engine quits, dip the nose to maintain your high speed and get that thing around in a decent steep bank so you are already turned around before the energy has bled off. Remember too that your elevator functions as a rudder when banked past about 30 degrees, so a bit of up elevator can help. Sadly, unlike with a real aeroplane, you don't get buffetting on the elevator, which you can feel through the stick (and your arse if you really push things lol), to let you know you are approaching a stall, so you will have to gauge it off the ASI and be a bit gentle with that up elevator. Pop the gear when you know you are going to make it and maybe add some flaps if your speed is still okay.

Here is a video of it. Note that if you land on the grass alongside the airfield, you can gain an additional achievement badge 'No Turning Back':

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wow! Well done! I thought I had tried everything, but you just proved that it can be done! Have to give it more tries when I get out of work!!

Nice job!!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

So far I've enjoyed the sim for about 14hrs, with most of the missions completed, and guiding my budding sim-pilot girlfriend through some the the training.   I like the slick interface, the aircraft detail, and flight environment.   More so than the other FSX derived sims, which have become a tweak fest for me, and not about flying.   I hope they continue to develop the core sim and missions, whether FSW created or 3rd party, it's a fun and challenging way to spend limited flight sim time.

20 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

the frame rates are in the 20s, even before I take off.  I understand I don't have the latest hardware, but something just isn't right somewhere.

It is absolutely fine with your rig and finally non optimized sim. LAX is one of most CPU demanding areas to fly. You can't get much more from FSX or P3D at same location and settings.

20 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

It is absolutely fine with your rig and finally non optimized sim. LAX is one of most CPU demanding areas to fly. You can't get much more from FSX or P3D at same location and settings.

Thanks!  I guess my concern lies with the CTD which maybe is partly due to "non-optimization".  I do understand the lags associated with busy sceneries, but I don't understand CTD.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

1 minute ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Thanks!  I guess my concern lies with the CTD which maybe is partly due to "non-optimization".  I do understand the lags associated with busy sceneries, but I don't understand CTD.

With addons you cant get more than 15-18 FPS in well working FSX/P3D, it is really demanding area and you are limited by CPU as there is really huge amount of autogen

@Jiri Kocman  Interestingly, I just tried KLAX and flew around a bit and min FPS was 25.  So, KLGA from a "default scenery" perspective appears to be very much more demanding in regards to CPU and FPS.