Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

How to move the Prepar3d v4 Add-ons directory

Since I mentioned this worked and it was suggested I put together a brief tutorial...   this is a method you can use to relocate your Prepar3d v4 Add-ons directory away from your system drive to keep it from, for example, eating up space on a small SSD.  I've tried this and it works just fine.

The first step is just to relocate the directory to its new location.  (I use MultiCommander for things like this because it's easier to see what's going on, but you can totally do this with Explorer).

This is what my Documents directory (on C:) and the top level directory on my sim drive (F:) look like to start.  Notice the size free of each disk as we begin.

lsNSxxC.png

And this is what we look like after the move.  Notice now that the free space on C: has gone up, and on F: has gone down.

YDoDKKN.png

For the next step, we need to drop to a command prompt and use the mklink command.   You'll replace the source and target directories with whatever you want to use in your setup.

AUjA067.png

Now, if you go back and look at both directories, you see that the add-ons directory appears on both C: and F:, but the disk space free hasn't changed on either drive. 

NliQW3k.png

MultiCommander show links pretty verbosely.  If you look at it in Explorer it just looks like a shortcut:

BbyzQAM.png

Now anything that looks for the Add-ons directory in your documents folder will end up reading from the sim drive.  It's just that easy!

(You can use this technique with almost anything you want to move around without "changing" where applications think it lives.)  

Hope this is helpful!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Or you could place only text files (the XML file for the addon) in that folder and place the actual scenery or aircraft or whatever it is on another drive entirely.  There is absolutely no valid reason for an addon's files to be in that folder.  None.

• Upvote 3

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Or you could add another directory to the Addon Discovery Path either by editing addons.cfg or from the command line (preferred method) as described here.

However this method  (like Ed's) will still lead to addons hard-coded to install into the My Documents folder cluttering up your system SSD unless you move them manually.  Packages using this method really should allow you to specify the install directory and automatically add it to the discovery path.

Having the adon.xml in the same folder as the content (rather than in My Documents and the content elsewhere) lets you use relative paths, so no editing is required to point to moved content.

Edited by lzamm
typos...

And if I have 3 extra SSD's with 100+ addon scenery , what then ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Why don't you just set up your documents folder on a different drive to the operating system? For example I have windows on C and My Documents on D.

This thread cracks me up.   nothing needs to be installed in your Docs folder for the 1000th time.  You can install wherever you want.  Hell I have installed scenery for v4 by just pointing to my scenery installed on my other SSD which has v3 installed.

Unless you are really worried about that 4kb addon.xml file.  :)

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

8 hours ago, WarpD said:

Or you could place only text files (the XML file for the addon) in that folder and place the actual scenery or aircraft or whatever it is on another drive entirely.  There is absolutely no valid reason for an addon's files to be in that folder.  None.

There is not.  Nevertheless, we know that not everyone is going to follow the rules.   A2A, for example, have decided to dump things in there.  Your choices are to either move them after cleanup, leave the XML file sitting around, and then edit it to have explicit paths...   or just accept that some people are going to do the "wrong" thing and prepare for it.

Since we don't live in a perfect world, the latter is the path I chose.  I have things I'd like more to do with my time than check for every single add-on I install whether it's been done correctly and fix it if not.    But that's just me.

On 6/8/2017 at 5:38 AM, WarpD said:

Ed could you be more specific? I don't like to have P3D files and directory under /Documents, so is there a way to move them? I'd like to use only my D:/ dedicated SSD drive for simulator. How can I achive what you are talking about?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Put your actual addon files in another folder. Open the addon.xml file for your product and edit the PATH to show the new location.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors