Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

P3D4 ES-Isle of Man add-on.xml

I've just installed IOM into 3.4.  I have previously installed Orbx Global, England, Wales, Scotland, EU LC and Vector.  I notice that the file Autogen/default.xml was replaced / amended during the installation.

Can anyone tell me what this file is for, and if there are any implications of it being changed by the ES installer?  Should I put the backed-up version back?

At first glance it appears to have installed ok.  I did have to put a copy of scenery.cfg into the P3D folder beforehand, and copy it back to %programdata%.

I'm trying to work out what you're (Kevin) doing in your posts with the xml stuff.  I'm guessing it's some new method of dealing with add-ons.  Any chance of a quick pointer as to where this is explained in simple terms?

7 hours ago, Hippo said:

I've just installed IOM into 3.4.  I have previously installed Orbx Global, England, Wales, Scotland, EU LC and Vector.  I notice that the file Autogen/default.xml was replaced / amended during the installation.

Can anyone tell me what this file is for, and if there are any implications of it being changed by the ES installer?  Should I put the backed-up version back?

At first glance it appears to have installed ok.  I did have to put a copy of scenery.cfg into the P3D folder beforehand, and copy it back to %programdata%.

I'm trying to work out what you're (Kevin) doing in your posts with the xml stuff.  I'm guessing it's some new method of dealing with add-ons.  Any chance of a quick pointer as to where this is explained in simple terms?

explained? the sdk

simple terms? youre having a laugh arent you? :p

the xml is LM's new recommended addon installation method, introduced in v3, revised IIRC for v4

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On 20/12/2017 at 0:24 AM, kevinfirth said:

explained? the sdk

simple terms? youre having a laugh arent you? :p

the xml is LM's new recommended addon installation method, introduced in v3, revised IIRC for v4

Point taken, no lazy way around this then.

IOM installed ok for me into P3Dv3.  Have since installed Guernsey, all ok, except that the autogen is missing?

As I mentioned I had already installed Orbx scenery.  Does it matter which is installed first (ES / Orbx)?

Does the order in the scenery.cfg matter?

I notice in IOM that I can "crash" into invisible objects.  Is anything known about this?

After looking at the sdk I had a play with the autogen tools (ac2scan, ac3scan).  They throw up LOTS of warnings and errors.  Is this to expected with old sceneries?  Some of the errors referenced Orbx stuff.

3 minutes ago, Hippo said:

Point taken, no lazy way around this then.

IOM installed ok for me into P3Dv3.  Have since installed Guernsey, all ok, except that the autogen is missing?

As I mentioned I had already installed Orbx scenery.  Does it matter which is installed first (ES / Orbx)?

Does the order in the scenery.cfg matter?

I notice in IOM that I can "crash" into invisible objects.  Is anything known about this?

After looking at the sdk I had a play with the autogen tools (ac2scan, ac3scan).  They throw up LOTS of warnings and errors.  Is this to expected with old sceneries?  Some of the errors referenced Orbx stuff.

There's a few threads here at Avsim and over at P3D forum discussing it.  I'd recommend reading them and the SDK a zillion times. :)

Not sure on your autogen, if you have Orbx then they should include the necessary ES items in their autogen.  Make sure you have ES-3D active...

Scenery.cfg order - yes it matters.  Look at http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/ for some helpful stuff re ES.

A known issue - may be referenced on http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/ as well.  Unliekly to be fixed now though!

Many devs not just Orbx throw up errors in one form or another.  Sometimes it's just because they haven't taken the time to make things ork 100% properly, sometimes it might be because they've done some implementation of a feature outside the SDK maybe?  The acid test should be does it make a diff in the sim.   If you think it might ask for support from the relevant dev in respect of their product and they may tell you the answer :p

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

There's a few threads here at Avsim and over at P3D forum discussing it.  I'd recommend reading them and the SDK a zillion times. :)

Not sure on your autogen, if you have Orbx then they should include the necessary ES items in their autogen.  Make sure you have ES-3D active...

Scenery.cfg order - yes it matters.  Look at http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/ for some helpful stuff re ES.

A known issue - may be referenced on http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/ as well.  Unliekly to be fixed now though!

Many devs not just Orbx throw up errors in one form or another.  Sometimes it's just because they haven't taken the time to make things ork 100% properly, sometimes it might be because they've done some implementation of a feature outside the SDK maybe?  The acid test should be does it make a diff in the sim.   If you think it might ask for support from the relevant dev in respect of their product and they may tell you the answer :p

great links - thank you.