Sign in to follow this  
joepoway

P3Dv4 Orbx KLAX FPS Hitter?

I have been enjoying P3Dv4 for a few weeks now but notice a significant difference in performance when flying in or out of KLAX on my system, as do a few of my friends with even more powerful systems. We all have Orbx Global, Landclass NA, and Southern Cal installed. When flying in or out of KLAX we see very large frame drops and stutters most of the time. We have tried various weather options and have all the eye candy settings in Orbx So Cal turned off but its always poor performance within 10 miles of LAX. 

Before everyone says well that what happens at large airports I get that and understand all the factors and settings possible issues but at all the other large airports we don't see anything comparable to the KLAX drop. I have tried several factors and settings to fix it but they seem to be only small improvements since adding the Orbx add-ons. It's also not AI because I've seen it with and without MT6 and with AI turned to 0 as well as when using the FSUIPC traffic limiter value.

Has anyone else noticed this or can confirm what I am seeing, I'm curious if there's some sort of conflict issue with the airport and/or scenery between Orbx and P3Dv4?

Joe

• Upvote 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

No its the SoCal and Norcal from Orbx not the airports.   As been documented by Rob A a few times.  Those 2 regions will push your system to its limits.   Need to go into the Config for Socal and Norcal and turn off things like docks, windmills, ships, towers, etc.   There is a ton of autogen around LA and it puts a load on the system. 

Sorry just saw you said you turned off those things.  Not sure then cause LAX worked great for me prior to Socal. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I'll look more into it but it seems to have become worse with v4, maybe one of the newer settings are actually taxing things more. However I don't see anywhere near the performance drops at KSFO or KSAN with the Orbx regions seems to be radically different at KLAX and worse then P3Dv3 was.

Joe

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

20 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I'll look more into it but it seems to have become worse with v4, maybe one of the newer settings are actually taxing things more. However I don't see anywhere near the performance drops at KSFO or KSAN with the Orbx regions seems to be radically different at KLAX and worse then P3Dv3 was.

Joe

I will look tonight (0% traffic)

What aircraft and what gate or runway and what FPS do you want/see (4k?)

FSDT KLAX ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I will look tonight (0% traffic)

What aircraft and what gate or runway and what FPS do you want/see (4k?)

FSDT KLAX ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Hi Michael

The performance drop happens with all aircraft I have used: A2A C172, P3D default F22, and RA Turbine Duke. aaditionally it happens with my friends home cockpit (a complete working 737) so he doesn't even have the overhead of any virtual cockpit or any AI unless he flies Vatsim which he isn't currently. 

In terms of airport it's just the standard augmented P3D using Orbx Southern Cal. My specs are listed below in my signature and I have a previous post with all my settings in a spreadsheet I created for people to use as a tool. https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5ketw85idtxo8f/P3Dv4 Settings Chart.xlsx?dl=0

The gate doesn't matter just start on any active runway because when you leave the space of KLAX and LA (20 miles or so, probably dependent on radius settings) things improve greatly then when you circle back into the rendering bubble they deteriorate quickly. So I know this is all natural as I have flown for years and see this, however, in relative terms it seems to have worsened whereas performance in other areas such as KSFO have improved when entering that space with v4. I run Vsync with a 30Hz monitor and have been able to mostly hold the 30fps threshold anywhere else but KLAX area since installing Orbx.

So again I understand the factors that pulll performance down and have been noticeably impressed with v4 improvements as long as sliders aren't pushed to hard but KLAX seems uniquely worse to me and some of my friends with lots of experience. 

Thanks for any help

Joe

I have already posted this in another thread because I face the same issues... I managed to tinker with my settings for FTX NCAL and SCAL, turned off those high-moderate impacting features. At first I was getting around 8-11FPS sitting at the airport (FB KSFO and FSDT KLAX). Now I'm getting 15-18fps which is acceptable considering the amount of add-ons I am running. Once I'm in the air my performance starts to get better. I am hoping that P3D will get better and make further optimizations so that we can get even better performance, and I hope OrbX can also make optimizations specifically for P3D v4 64 bit.

With that being said I can finally enjoy a full flight from one heavy area to another in the PMDG 747 with no OOMS or significant loss of quality or performance and that alone makes the upgrade to P3D v4 a huge success for me. Here's looking forward to what LM can further do next to bake this sim run even better with each and every update.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just tested . Around 17-25 fps with VSYNC on and NO traffic at all but very dense Autogen  and LOD maxed in the PMDG747

with KLAX 081653Z 25008KT 9SM OVC016 17/14 A3002 RMK AO2 SLP164 T01720144 from AS2016

Very demanding and not for my SLI setup because going below 25 FPS is a killer (stutter)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

13 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I have already posted this in another thread because I face the same issues... I managed to tinker with my settings for FTX NCAL and SCAL, turned off those high-moderate impacting features. At first I was getting around 8-11FPS sitting at the airport (FB KSFO and FSDT KLAX). Now I'm getting 15-18fps which is acceptable considering the amount of add-ons I am running. Once I'm in the air my performance starts to get better. I am hoping that P3D will get better and make further optimizations so that we can get even better performance, and I hope OrbX can also make optimizations specifically for P3D v4 64 bit.

With that being said I can finally enjoy a full flight from one heavy area to another in the PMDG 747 with no OOMS or significant loss of quality or performance and that alone makes the upgrade to P3D v4 a huge success for me. Here's looking forward to what LM can further do next to bake this sim run even better with each and every update.

Thanks for the response but all things being equal it is far worse at KLAX than it is at KSFO or any other large airport in the NCAL or SCAL regions of Orbx for me.

Joe

2 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Just tested . Around 17-25 fps with VSYNC on and NO traffic at all but very dense Autogen  and LOD maxed in the PMDG747

with KLAX 081653Z 25008KT 9SM OVC016 17/14 A3002 RMK AO2 SLP164 T01720144 from AS2016

Very demanding and not for my SLI setup because going below 25 FPS is a killer (stutter)

Michael Moe

Thanks Michael

If you ran the same scenario at KSFO do you see marked improvement over KLAX?

Joe

Just now, joepoway said:

Thanks Michael

If you ran the same scenario at KSFO do you see marked improvement over KLAX?

Joe

Hi Joe

Indeed , no problem at KSFO FB with FTX NCA. 

But the area is not the same. There is so much Autogen in the area at KLAX that it cannot be valued equal in my opinion. 

That said 17-25 fps with LOD maxed in the PMDG747 Autogen on very Dense , Wow it does look good :gaul:

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I've tested both regions and I get about the same performance for FTX NCAL and SCAL either sitting at FB KSFO or FSDT'S KLAX. 

Could you tell me what add-ons you currently have installed?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Here's what I've found regarding ORBX performance in busy areas. I have NA SCA, NA NCA, OpenLC NA, Flightbeam KSFO, Active Sky for P3D v4, and the PMDG 747 v3. I load up the 747 at KSFO 28L on a stormy day with lots of clouds and rain. I set active sky to historical weather mode for 2/17/2017 at 17:00GMT. With everything turned to max I get about 12 FPS.

I'm running a 4960X @ 4.2Ghz with a Titan X (Maxwell) It's not the fastest system money can buy, but it's pretty good.

I HAVE to back some setting down to achieve acceptable performance. Mainly, dynamic lighting and dynamic reflections are switched off. Scenery complexity is set to sparse. I also have cloud shadows switched off. I find these are the settings that affect performance the most.

I can achieve 25 -30 FPS in heavy weather which is acceptable. I haven't tested at KLAX yet but I will later on tonight.

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

I would have to say the heaviest performance areas to me are like you said, FTX NCAL/SCAL and also the NYC area for anyone whose running with DD NYC scenery, FSDT KJFK as well. If you can get these areas to run acceptable, then you should be fine in most other areas. I tend to do my testing and fine tune my settings in the most heaviest areas so that when I fly to other areas, my performance will increase, not decrease.

Sorry forgot that my tests was with FSDT KLAX and FB KSFO , not ORBX default , only regions

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

I've tested both regions and I get about the same performance for FTX NCAL and SCAL either sitting at FB KSFO or FSDT'S KLAX. 

Could you tell me what add-ons you currently have installed?

I don't believe the add-ons aren't causing the relative delta in performance (an absolute drop sure) as my friend only has P3Dv4 and Orbx released items that we all run and no add-ons or even virtual cockpits for planes being generated since he has a home built actual 737 cockpit.

That said I have all the Orbx add-ons released (with all configurable features in the SoCal and NoCal Orbx regions turned off) , MT6, ASv4 (networking in off another PC), FSUIPC, Spad.next, and ChasePlane. I have run this test with ChasePlane and ASv4 turned off and 0% AI and FSUIPC AI limiter set to zero and still see as my friend does a significant delta between KLAX and KSFO with Orbx that I didn't see prior to Orbx install. I have also seen it with default P3D aircraft and A2A C172.

I can only assume the autogen and terrain features in the LA area and KLAX are much more involved then any other area in California that I have flown in or around and seem worse now in v4 then they did in v3. I also believe LM has modified/improved several aspects of the scenery and perhaps how things interact with Orbx now are different?

Joe