Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

MegaScenery PNW - terrible loading time?

Hello, anyone with the same problem? I installed PNW just yesterday and I'm having terrible loading time when going to that area. It takes over 4 minutes to load in Cessna. I've got Sothern/Northern California, New York alongside and never had this problem. I installed megaScenery to the root of drive D, the same logical disk where my Flight Simulator 9 resides. My PC specs are quite standard: P4 3.2Ghz with 1Gb RAM. D disk still has about 40Gb free. Anyone?Thanks.

Can it be a problem with FSGlobal 2005 mesh also installed?

Seems that I've sorted it out. The problem comes from FSGlobal 2005 mesh. As soon as it comes "under" any of the MegaScenery packages in the Scenery Library Priority list the intolerable loading time kicks in. Hmm, anything else that I can ask here?

Guest Bell206freak

Yeah.. You cannot use two versions of the same high-resolution terrain mesh with any Megascenery title. It will result in horrible loading times. I had the same exact problem, actually.What I did was locate the terrain mesh BGLs and isolate them from the BGLs that called for the photoreal imagery. I did this since I was already running FSFreeware 38M mesh for the entire West Coast, and didn't need a duplicate.I enjoy Pacific Northwest from Megascenery so much that I only fly within PNW excepot for brief flights elsewhere. And any Western Washington-based scenery packages will be based on Megascenery PNW.

Thanks, Bell. I've found also that unchecking Extended terrain textures in FS9 SETTINGS>DISPLAY>SCENERY cures the loading problem. MegaScenery manual insits on unchecking it in the settings. Indeed as soon as you untick the Extended Textures the downloading time gets back to normal and runs very fast. But I guess I wouldn't like this solution because the visuals degarde to my taste. Could you please elaborate on how to "...locate the terrain mesh BGLs and isolate them from the BGLs that are called for the photoreal imagery..."I guess I'll need to do the same in New York, and Atlantic Coast. Thanks!

Another question: which Terrain mexh complexity are you using? To some reason MegaScenery seeks to set it 20%, why? Should I use 100% instead?Thanks.

Guest Bell206freak

Sure.. No problemThe first thing you need to do is create a backup directory. For my setup, I created a folder called "MegasceneryTerrainFileBackups" (if you use more than one Megascenery, I recommend placing something like "PNW" or "SOCAL" in the title of the directory.Second, right click and select "New" and then "New Folder." From there, you'll be creating backup folders representing each scenery directory within Megascenery Pacific Northwest. There's a total of eleven files in all.Now, here's the tricky part - where we actually move the files.I am listing this as a by-directory-name basis, and then listing the filenames you need to move. The directory names are in bold.CapeFl_e:Capeme.bglCapemw.bglCopali_e:Copaem.bglHoquia_ee:Hoquem.bglHoquia_we:Hoquwm.bglscenery:Yakiwm.bglSeattl_ee:Seatem.bglSeattl_we:Seatwm.bglVictor_ee:Victem.bglWenatc_e:Wenaem.bglWenatc_we:Wenawm.bglYakima_e:Yakiem.bgl+++++++++++++++I tend to fly with ETT enabled because I prefer to fly within a more realistic simulation. Here in the northwest, on a clear day, visibility can exceed more than 200 miles. For instance, I live a mile from Sanderson Field and in the right spot on a clear day, I can easily spot Mount St. Helens and its lava dome (which is more than 140 miles away) and the small rock faces on Mount Rainier's west side.ETT disabled kinda washes those details out and makes the scenery look blurry in the distance IMHO. I don't mind the load times with ETT enabled, although I do wish they were faster.I fly with terrain mesh complexity settings set to roughly 25 on the slider. When I am working on scenery and I capture the scenery in screengrab form for upload images, I always move the slider to the max for the fullest details.

Thanks so much for your time, Bell. The only thing that I still don't understand is why using so low mesh complexity in the settings? Is it on purpose? Do you experience a major impact on the FPS with anything higher than 25)? Doesn't reducing mesh complexity to as low as 25 washes out some of the same details that make you prefer ETT enabled?I'm just curious because Mesh does not impact dramatically on the performance and also why installing it at all in the first place? You give up a LOT of HDD space, you tinker with it and then just flatten it down in the settings? 25??

I guess I'm missing something in the Mexh Complexity setting, am I not?

Guest Bell206freak

Well, my machine is aging somewhat and I do experience an albeit negligible FPS impact when I move it to 100. Generally, I fly with all sliders maxed out as much as possible, but I generally have to compromise between scenery complexity, autogen density and terrain mesh complexity. I prefer to have a rich, fully simulated world in FS, and I'm willing to sacrifice more complex mesh for that. It usually works fine on my end, as I can still make out the more significant (and less significant) features of the landscape.

If I understood your system right, Yakiwm.bgl should go not to "scenery" backup folder but rather to: Yakima_we backup.Also, what about Concem.bgl from Concre_e and Concwm.bgl from Concre_we not mentioned in your list? Thanks.

Guest Bell206freak

I left those out because the terrain mesh I had didn't cover those areas. Feel free to move them to their respective backup folders. Sorry I forgot to mention them.And as for the first question... It doesn't really matter per se, but just as long as it goes into a Yakima_we" backup folder, it should be all good._Steve