Sign in to follow this  
Berike

Anyone using Ryzen 7 for P3D v4?

14 hours ago, joemiller said:

Yes, of course AMDs are very good processors. The problem is some people don't want to believe it; so, they bury their heads in the sand and refuse to look out and see what "the other guys" have to offer.  Or they bring you benchmark reports which has very little to do with flight simming. 

so true :)

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

i certainly took the chance when ryzen was released, i owned a 7700k and sold the motherboard and cpu for a ryzen 1800x and asus crosshair hero motherboard, i couldn't be happier with it. of course if you are only flight simming with p3d, intel is the better option, but i think it's up in the air with x-plane 11. as i have stated before, ryzen runs x-plane 11 exactly the same as my 7700k did, maybe a little longer load times, but when it comes to smoothness in x-plane i couldn't ask for a better cpu. i can bet amd is holding back with ipc, i bet ryzen 2 will have higher clocks as this core war continues.i almost bought a threadripper cpu, but decided it was just too many cores for my needs.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:42 AM, Berike said:

The performance you mentioned, are you overclocking the 1800X to 4Ghz?

What OC did you have with 4770k?

Nice information to provide, I believe XP11 will have faster support for + cores because they already said they will move to Vulkan API

The 4770K was running at 4.4 GHz. The 1800X is not overclocked. Clock speed varies between 3.7 - 4.1 GHz when running X-Plane 11 and P3D (depending on how many cores are being used that instant). I could probably overclock all cores to 4.0 - 4.1 GHz but honestly I just don't see the need. It would be less than a 10% gain on average (more like 5 - 8%), with significantly increased heat, power and noise. The 1800X is probably the first CPU I haven't felt the need to overclock, simply because you already have so much CPU power at your disposal (especially when the application can use many cores, but even in lightly threaded apps thanks to XFR).

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, swiesma said:

As I am totally GPU limited in 4K I would go for the Threadripper without a doubt. :-)

Hi swiesma! The Threadripper is the CPU I was looking for. My old 8350 w/8gb ram etc., gets me 28-30 FPS with FSX-SE. Playable but barely so.  A far as running or creating video files while running FSX, forget it! With a 1950X and 60GB of ram sitting on an Asus Zenith Extreme I figure I may have good chance to do so. 4K monitors are becoming reasonable like a Samsung model CF791.  I have built many machines for friends and have favored AMD graphics for the lack of stutters, maybe I didn't set em up right? But they mentioned stutters too? I always let my customers and friends watch me put their rigs together. A few new sims are coming that will run on multi core machines, Steam, XPlane11, P3D. and Flyinside for example. Being 84 years young I can't wait.

Best of Luck

BaldyB 

Well I have to agree I have the the threadripper 29990wx and a RTX TITAN 64gb of ram and an experience that I have with this in P3D never was it close with the 9900k even 

Some may not know that AMD decided, when the Vista OS was released in 2007 and not long after Windows 7, not to update their drivers for the new OS.  They wanted everyone to stay on Windows XP and they hated the fact Microsoft was leaving a perfectly great OS called Windows XP.  So, for a long time after Vista was released, there were no new drivers for the new OS so Microsoft and the Microsoft FSX developers had to use Nvidia and Intel for the development of FSX (P3D is based off of FSX programming).  AMD lost and it was a decision that caused them to lose a lot of business and I'm surprised they are even in business today.  One might say they were brain-dead to not keep up with the latest operating systems and technology.  Nvidia and Intel updated their drivers so what were developers suppose to do?  Sit around and wait for AMD to catch up?  So this is why many FS developers use Intel and Nvidia when developing their products and they work intimately with Intel and Nvidia to make sure their product works the best.  I know the lead developer of FSX eventually went to work for Intel and he had his team working daily with the techs at Nvidia.

Yes, that was a long time ago but the reason why people like me, who know the history of AMD and their adamant desire not to keep up with the world, has put a sour taste at least in my mouth.  I will stay with Intel and Nvidia forever...

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10