Sign in to follow this  
steve40

Inverted coastal waves in P3D v4 - and a solution

I don't know if it is just me, but in my P3D v4 installation the coastal waves effect is inverted so the tail of the wave is actually moving ahead of the wave!

I fixed this by using DXTBMP to flip all channels in textures "fx_swoosh.bmp" and "fx_swoosh2.bmp" from top-to-bottom (both these files are in the Effects\Texture folder).

- Steve

• Upvote 4

I can confirm the same here. Tks for the solution.

Cheers

Pierre

Oh, that was bothering me.  Thanks for the saying how to fix it!

Steve,

Thanks for posting, the wavers were looking weird to me as well.  Great job with the quick fix.

Is it possible for you to post the corrected swoosh.bmp and swoosh2.bmp files?  I have no experience manipulating bmp files. 

Is there a bug reporting system in P3D?

2 hours ago, jhelix70 said:

Steve,

Thanks for posting, the wavers were looking weird to me as well.  Great job with the quick fix.

Is it possible for you to post the corrected swoosh.bmp and swoosh2.bmp files?  I have no experience manipulating bmp files. 

Sorry to be a buzz kill but posting copyrighted material in an open forum is a violation of Avsim TOS and will result in suspension of posting privileges. Asking for someone to send it to you in an open forum is also a violation.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for the info; I thought that might be the case, that is why I asked "Is it possible" .

Is flipping the alpha a sure fix that wont break anything else? cause I found similar textures in FSX installation with similar looking alpha.

Interesting... perhaps you should post this solution on the official LM forums?

@vgbaron - is it still a violation, if he just posted a solution but not shared any material? (I guess it is, but I'm genuinely curious).

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

17 hours ago, jhelix70 said:

Thanks for the info; I thought that might be the case, that is why I asked "Is it possible" .

This is what I did (first time DXTBmp user):
Back up those two original files.
Download, install and run DXTBmp.
Open each bmp file.
For each, from the Image menu select "Flip Image and Alpha".
Save files.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

14 minutes ago, gboz said:

This is what I did (first time DXTBmp user):
Back up those two original files.
Download, install and run DXTBmp.
Open each bmp file.
For each, from the Image menu select "Flip Image and Alpha".
Save files.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

gb.

Yeah, it's a one-click fix once you open the file in the editor.  Then save it and load the sim...  the wave animation works right now.

Pity the waves are still moving too fast......

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

5 minutes ago, gboz said:

gb.

PTA for P3D v4 has an adjustable wave speed parameter.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

33 minutes ago, gboz said:

gb.

Instructions for slowing down the waves have been provided here.

5 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interesting... perhaps you should post this solution on the official LM forums?

@vgbaron - is it still a violation, if he just posted a solution but not shared any material? (I guess it is, but I'm genuinely curious).

No that is fine it's just posting other people's copyrighted work that is the issue. I am sure LM would appreciate the info and include in a future patch. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Yes, sorry for the delay. Posting the fix without links, etc is fine. Each person can then decide to work on their own file. Posting a link to the fixed file would be the violation. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors