Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

P3D V4 - Incredible amounts of ground friction

Dear all,

I am finding there is a huge amounts of ground friction when taxiing the 747 in v4.. After landing with say 10 tonnes of fuel, the aircraft grinds to a halt if the thrust is on idle. It takes about 35-40 percent I feel to keep the aircraft moving along.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

17 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

I am finding there is a huge amounts of ground friction when taxiing the 747 in v4.. After landing with say 10 tonnes of fuel, the aircraft grinds to a halt if the thrust is on idle. It takes about 35-40 percent I feel to keep the aircraft moving along.

Check your brake temps, and/or your brake calibration.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

Check your brake temps, and/or your brake calibration.

All double checked, this was a autobrake 1 landing after a short circuit

Alex Ridge

1 minute ago, aceridgey said:

All double checked, this was a autobrake 1 landing after a short circuit

You brought your sim computer across the Atlantic and just verified this, or are you back now?

It's a long time known issue that if FSUIPC isn't configured correctly, you're going to get brake drag. I'm not getting this, so I'm willing to bet that it's local.

Kyle Rodgers

28 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

You brought your sim computer across the Atlantic and just verified this, or are you back now?

[...]

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

I've just bought full fsuipc, will test again

EDIT

Re configued rudder pedals, fresh install of fsuipc registered.

Still getting this bahavior, if I close the thrust at landing weights, 10knots to 0 will take 5-10 seconds

Alex Ridge

Make sure only FSUIPC is controlling the brakes. Check if brake assignments from within the P3D Controls menu are active and causing a conflict.

My MFG crosswinds are setup in FSUIPC and operating as expected - not experiencing any of the braking effects you mention.

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |

2 hours ago, aceridgey said:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

I've just bought full fsuipc, will test again

EDIT

Re configued rudder pedals, fresh install of fsuipc registered.

Still getting this bahavior, if I close the thrust at landing weights, 10knots to 0 will take 5-10 seconds

Hahaha...

It is called sarcasm.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

If it's a sarcasm I don't get it.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Oh short circuit as in electrical. I get i get. (Bravo Kyle :) )

Now back to the issue, still getting it with the aircraft. Any ideas?

Alex 

Alex Ridge

Are you using hardware brakes by any chance? (For example I use Saitek rudder pedals which have toe brakes)

It took me a long time to realize that I had a deadzone set on my brake axes which meant every time I used the toe brakes they weren't releasing fully, so I'd start taxiing fine but once I've used the brakes or after landing I was using quite large amounts of power to keep moving. Once I set the deadzone to zero they released fully and I was able to taxi just fine.

(That was with default FS controls.)

I have never experienced this yet. On the contrary, compared to all other add-on aircraft, when taxi-ing, I hardly have to move the throttle on my MS ForceFeedback 2 joystick as it will comfortably taxi at 30 kts without any inputs. unless ATC make me hold for traffic.

Holy moly 30 kts!  I try to keep the taxi speeds around 20 and below 15 in turns.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 minutes ago, downscc said:

Holy moly 30 kts!  I try to keep the taxi speeds around 20 and below 15 in turns.

I just leave the throttle at idle and that's what's displayed in the speed tape, and from what I can see external view, she is just crawling along at a real slow pace as per what i have observed in real. The MD-11 needs a bit more monitoring though.

15 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I just leave the throttle at idle and that's what's displayed in the speed tape,

Ah well okay..., the speed tape doesn't measure below 30-40 kts.  You should have a GS readout on the ND and some aircraft have an option for GS on the PFD but I'm not sure if the Queen is one.  Indicated airspeed requires enough ram air in the pitot tube to register airspeed, and what you measure includes any winds.  Best to use the ND GS readout for your taxi maneuvers.

Dan Downs KCRP

37 minutes ago, downscc said:

Best to use the ND GS readout for your taxi maneuver

Thanks, Dan. That is by far the best tip I have received, as in the past I have always watched the speed tape, and somehow it has got engrained in my grey cells!! LoL!!!