Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

P3D V4 - Incredible amounts of ground friction

15 hours ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, Dan. That is by far the best tip I have received, as in the past I have always watched the speed tape, and somehow it has got engrained in my grey cells!! LoL!!!

You would have got a severe written repremand from self for taxing a 747 at 30kts! At that speed your control surfaces are coming alive and if you are in gusty conditions you'll be all over the place. And possibly causing damage to engine pods and the nosewheel. Tut tut!

22 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

You would have got a severe written repremand from self for taxing a 747 at 30kts! At that speed your control surfaces are coming alive and if you are in gusty conditions you'll be all over the place. And possibly causing damage to engine pods and the nosewheel. Tut tut!

I stand admonished and will go into that corner with a cone marked 'D' on my head:bengong::bengong:

Yesterday I did a flight and although the speed tape on the left of the PFD was displaying 30 kts,I was in fact monitoring the GS in the ND, which was around 11kts.

But for my punishment, I'll take a month of getting a bucket and mop, and off a pair of high reach steps(no cherry-picker), and swabbing the fuselage !!

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

I stand admonished and will go into that corner with a cone marked 'D' on my head:bengong::bengong:

Yesterday I did a flight and although the speed tape on the left of the PFD was displaying 30 kts,I was in fact monitoring the GS in the ND, which was around 11kts.

But for my punishment, I'll take a month of getting a bucket and mop, and off a pair of high reach steps(no cherry-picker), and swabbing the fuselage !!

For extra punishment you have to do 15 touch and go's in a Super VC10 with a ceiling of 1,500ft. That'll teach you how to control your a/c lol. As you'll be at 1,500ft seconds after unstick!!

Pity you cannot get your excellent work implemented into an FSX vesrion. Am eagerly awaiting to see what Just Fligt come up with.Will be a Day 1 buy for me if it outshines the First Class Simulations' version.

I saw and heard enough of those 'touch 'n goes'  when the RAF's Supers pounded past my barracks at Brize Norton, now you want me to suffer more? Have you no heart?

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

Pity you cannot get your excellent work implemented into an FSX vesrion. Am eagerly awaiting to see what Just Fligt come up with.Will be a Day 1 buy for me if it outshines the First Class Simulations' version.

I saw and heard enough of those 'touch 'n goes'  when the RAF's Supers pounded past my barracks at Brize Norton, now you want me to suffer more? Have you no heart?

I have been informed that Just Flight will bring out a very basic Standard VC10 model which is a pity. And no I am heartless, No FADEC no FMC it takes a quite a skill to do a full power take-off and level off at 1,500ft for a circuit.

Sorry guys this has gone massively off topic can we rein it back?

In the real world a landing 777 would very happily accelerate with idle thrust. Yet with the pmdg you need quite a bit to keep moving. 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

1 minute ago, vololiberista said:

I have been informed that Just Flight will bring out a very basic Standard VC10 model which is a pity.

Oh, no. Drat!! That's dashed all my expectations then.

16 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

In the real world a landing 777 would very happily accelerate with idle thrust. Yet with the pmdg you need quite a bit to keep moving. 

The same ground friction modelling used by the PMDG 744v3 will be applied to the 777 in its next major facelift, I believe.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

The same ground friction modelling used by the PMDG 744v3 will be applied to the 777 in its next major facelift, I believe.

Ok, but even the 747 shows a lot of friction 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

1 minute ago, aceridgey said:

Well, that's debatable and a matter of opinion.  The B744 pilots that have tested the PMDG product don't agree, and Robert is one of them.  If you have quantifiable data i suggest you take it up with them directly via Product Support.

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Oh, no. Drat!! That's dashed all my expectations then.

No doubt one would have to pay for a "cut down" VC10 model. It's a pity when clearly an accurate model can be made without too much effort. But isn't it the usual story. You pay more for less. I can produce an accurate model for nowt but if you want a chuck around the sky model, jump in and start up with no systems depth or control you have to pay!

5 minutes ago, aceridgey said:

Are you mistaking friction for inertia?

14 hours ago, vololiberista said:

On a straight long taxi line, 30 knots is not unusual - David Lee

8 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

On a straight long taxi line, 30 knots is not unusual - David Lee

On a long taxi with clearly no impediments one can go up to 20-25kts. But to sustain 30kts is not recommended simply because of the effect on control surfaces. also many airports that accept 747s will have taxi speed restrictions. So, no don't make a habit of it. And it is something that Enac has formally recommended to airlines here,

1 minute ago, vololiberista said:

On a long taxi with clearly no impediments one can go up to 20-25kts. But to sustain 30kts is not recommended simply because of the effect on control surfaces. also many airports that accept 747s will have taxi speed restrictions. So, no don't make a habit of it. And it is something that Enac has formally recommended to airlines here,

You are saying there are sometimes exceptions. That does not make taxing 30 kts unusual - David Lee