Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Multiple Objects

I have both P3D v3 and P3D v4 installed on the same drive.  When I choose to fly v3 I get numerous messages stating: "Multiple Object with Same Title name.  They Must Have Unique Title Names."  I don't get this with v4.  What do I have to do to get rid of these messages (about 35)?

Jim

4 hours ago, planenut said:

I have both P3D v3 and P3D v4 installed on the same drive.  When I choose to fly v3 I get numerous messages stating: "Multiple Object with Same Title name.  They Must Have Unique Title Names."  I don't get this with v4.  What do I have to do to get rid of these messages (about 35)?

Jim

P3D finds a couple of aircraft or other objects with the same "Title" twice, but every SimObject must be unique, hence the error messages.

I suppose that you have either accidentally copied the same aircraft folders to a place where P3D can see them twice or you have duplicate entries in the config files in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3" (simobjects.cfg, add-ons.cfg)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Jim, you are NOT alone. It's not a simple case of mistakenly given the same name to a few airplanes. It HAS happened but not to  a huge raft of aircraft...Suddenly!

I can assure Mr Binder that there are no duplicates of names in my P3Dv3.4 folder. These 'duplicates' also refer to P3D default aircraft and who messes with them? So it's not just a case of mistakenly pasting them twice or cocking up an aircraft.cfg! There is something amiss.

My guess is that somehow(don't ask me how) P3Dv3 is seeing V4 :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

What I have found is that when installing a  v4 version plane that if I don't uninstall the v3 version first I get these messages.  Somehow v3 and v4 seem to interact.  So now whenever I install a plane in v4 that I already have in v3 I have to uninstall the v3 version first.  Works ok then.  I just no longer can use that particular plane in P3D v3.  Not a problem though since I'll be using v4 most of the time anyhow.  Hope this makes sense.

Jim

7 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's not a simple case of mistakenly given the same name to a few airplanes. It HAS happened but not to  a huge raft of aircraft...Suddenly!

I can assure Mr Binder that there are no duplicates of names in my P3Dv3.4 folder. These 'duplicates' also refer to P3D default aircraft and who messes with them? So it's not just a case of mistakenly pasting them twice or cocking up an aircraft.cfg! There is something amiss.

Hello Ron,

that is not what I meant.

The models that the simulator can "see" are defined in multiple places:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\simobjects.cfg
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\add-ons.cfg (= in the associated add-on.xml files)
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\add-ons.cfg (= in the associated add-on.xml files)
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D vX\Prepar3D.cfg (not sure if that still works though)

if you get these messages about duplicate entries, you will have to follow every path defined in these config files and check where it ends.

- There could be an entry pointing directly at your "other" simulators SimObjects\Airplanes folder (then what the OP describes would happen)
- There could be a symlink pointing at that folder
- There could be a redundancy (same folder linked twice)
- And probably dozens of other issues.

As to how that is caused - a migration tool could do it, when it places symlinks pointing at the wrong folders, an addon manager could do it or even an incompatible installer I guess.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver, I woke up this morning thinking I'd sussed it. I thought JoinFS may have something to do with it...False hope.

I'll track down your suggestions. I don't use any migration tools. I did install Tongass Fjords in V4 via Elaine's walk through.

I'll be back... Unless I kill myself in the meantime!  :biggrin:

Talk about luck! The very first thing I checked was your first item 'C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\simobjects.cfg' and look what I found.

[Entry.0]
PATH=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes
TITLE=RealAir Legacy V2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Entry.1]
PATH=SimObjects\Airplanes

Right underneath that was a  simobjects_SIMstarter_backup which pointed to V3. A swift edit and peace reigns in the Attwood homestead.

How on earth could that happen? SIMstarter's fault?

Anyway, thanks for pointing me/us in the right direction. I would never have looked in there in a million years!