Sign in to follow this  
tom9909

ENVTEX VS PTA

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain the difference between Envtex and PTA.

Are they the same thing? and which one would you recommended for P3Dv4.

PS. I've been looking at Envtex SP1 Beta and the new PTA that's only just released

Although EnvTex has a few other "goodies", it replaces the default P3d textures for the sun, sky, water, clouds, runways and grass. One can select from a wide variety of texture resolutions and appearance. In contrast, PTA changes the computer code which P3d uses to light up the sky and landscape. With PTA one can control the way reflections, shadows and coloration work, no matter which textures are used. The two add-ons complement each other and give the user a tremendous amount of flexibility as to how the sim looks.

• Upvote 4

Apparently from what I read Envtex has recently integrated PTA mod now?

Yes EnvTex can work in conjunction with PTA as on option on the settings screen -  the version for v4.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Thanks everyone for your replies.

So essentially Envtex is another REX Texture Direct type product?

Yes it is. Lots of options. I like their new interface. However, I do not like their clouds. Tend to look like cotton balls. I tried the very nice textures, sky, etc. but those clouds just do not like. They have the option of integrating ActiveSky Cloud Art though but I didn't buy that product. I went back to Rex Overdrive for now.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Although EnvTex has a few other "goodies", it replaces the default P3d textures for the sun, sky, water, clouds, runways and grass. One can select from a wide variety of texture resolutions and appearance. In contrast, PTA changes the computer code which P3d uses to light up the sky and landscape. With PTA one can control the way reflections, shadows and coloration work, no matter which textures are used. The two add-ons complement each other and give the user a tremendous amount of flexibility as to how the sim looks.

Great explanation!  I've got both, but didn't know if I should install them together.  This helps a lot.

3 hours ago, kurtb said:

are there any pta ini files available for envtex

There is something called PTAbsolute that the same developers did to compliment Envtex.  It is on their website (TOGA Projects). They will have a new V4 version of it soon but the files for the current one will work with the updated PTAv4.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Is PTAbslolute a preset like THOPAT and others?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale