Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

PC Build for P3D v4

Hi All, I am embarking on a new PC build on and switching to P3D v4. I have been loyal to FSX all this time, my current specs are in my signature.

My build will be i7-7700k, OC to as close to 5GHz as possible on AIO water. Will be reusing my Kraken X61. MB ASUS ROG Maximus Hero IX.

Memory 16 GB G Skill 3600, 2x8GB.

Should I use my existing Sata3 SSD' s 60 GB each or go for NVMe M.2 Samsung Evo 960? Maybe 120GB.

Do I need to keep OS and P3D on separate drives or can they be on the same drive ?.Which is better performance wise?.

I will be using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

As for capacity, I will only have PMDG 747 and 777, with GSX, multi crew experience and some sceneries, freeware mostly. Only have flytampa YSSY as payware, what capacity would I need ?. Don't want to buy more than I will ever use. My current 60GB, FSX drive, about 20 GB is free.

Thanks for any input/advice. Will be buying the stuff end of next week.

60 GB is a tiny drive, go bigger. Even if you're not using it now, if you're going to invest in a great flightsim rig you don't want to be worrying about space all the time in the future.

My Orbx folder alone is 82 GB! Whilst you may not want to go Orbx-crazy like that, I think that'll you'll find 60Gb to be too limiting.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

60 GB is a tiny drive, go bigger. Even if you're not using it now, if you're going to invest in a great flightsim rig you don't want to be worrying about space all the time in the future.

My Orbx folder alone is 82 GB! Whilst you may not want to go Orbx-crazy like that, I think that'll you'll find 60Gb to be too limiting.

Thanks mate

With improvements in speed etc, do I still need two drives or have P3D and OS in one big 250GB or 500GB singledrive?

Do two drives provide better performance?.

G'day cobber,

I don't think it makes much difference, however just in case when I built my sim computer I put the OS on a 250GB SSD, and the sim on its own 1TB SSD, and then use WD Black HDD for holding extra scenery.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I have a similar setup with ozwhitey and would recommend using the M2 interface for both OS and P3D platforms if possible. HDD for data is good enough.

also recommend 32GB from the get go - I wanna chuck another set of 16GB on my system but can't find the exact DDR specs anymore.

..another thing, I've been a long time W7 user but found some issues creeping up as all associated programs for P3Dv4 evolve. Good experience with W10pro so far and generally snappier and smoother than W7 regarding file transfers and compatibilities. Still getting used to the interface though..

cheers

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |

I would go for 32 GB Ram and at LEAST 500 GB SSD...

11 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

G'day cobber,

I don't think it makes much difference, however just in case when I built my sim computer I put the OS on a 250GB SSD, and the sim on its own 1TB SSD, and then use WD Black HDD for holding extra scenery.

Cool, it will be two separate drives then...

Cheers

You need to up the memory to 32 and don't go cheap on the SSD storage. Also hope you don't plan on reusing Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB card on the new build. Your GPU will be your weak spot. Win7 is a bit dated also. Get a min of a 1060/70/80 for video. If you cheap out than there is no reason to do a new build. I just priced a new 7700K rig from scratch and I'm looking at just under $1200 and I already have 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 SSD and a EVGA 1080 FTW which is not included in the price listed above. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

OZ Flyer,

Win7

One reason that I think you need to consider if you wish to retain Win7 is that I do not believe that it supports DirectX 10 or above whereas Win10 does.  I further believe that DX11 is default  V4 selection and gives slightly better performance I think.  I do not really know much about this aspect and somebody may be able to offer an expert opinion on it,  The end result is that Win10 may well be the better OS for a V4 dedicated Sim.

If I had the fiscal resources, I definitely would opt for the i7 7700K, 32GB (fast) ram, and a 1080ti (11GBDDR5) with appropriate cooling.  However, with (untested at this time)  AMD GPUs with 16gb HBM2 memory apparently being released  by the end of this month, it may well pay to wait just a little longer in order to maximize selection criteria. 

Good luck anyway matey

Regards to al as usual

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Nice MOBO. I have the same processor but I don't OC so I'm using Deep Cool for air cooling. I would get an m.2 ssd for windows pro 10 for some of the reasons noted above regarding dx 11 - make it 250 gb. Cheap enough.  No need for 32 gb now. I have 16 and it is great. No problem, though those two open slots keep staring me in the face, lol.I bought a dedicated conventional  HD for two of my favourite 64 bit flightsims - XP11 and PDv4. 3TB  WD Blue (127.00). The other drive I brought over from my previous computer (2 TB). I think you might be looking at upping the ante on your video card though.

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz,  ASRock H270 Pro4 LGA 1151, Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM, Zotac 1080Amp Extreme 8GB.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

14 hours ago, ozflyer said:

Thanks mate

With improvements in speed etc, do I still need two drives or have P3D and OS in one big 250GB or 500GB singledrive?

Do two drives provide better performance?.

With SSD's it makes no difference whether you have one drive or two. The performance will be exactly the same.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks all for the feedback.

So to summarise...

RAM 16 GB OK, 32 GB better.

Definitely Win 10 as Win 7 does not support DX11 and I don't plan on going back to FSX.

GTX 1070 or 1080 depending on budget.

Single SSD M.2 NVMe 250GB.

Is that a go ?.

4 minutes ago, ozflyer said:

Definitely Win 10 as Win 7 does not support DX11 and I don't plan on going back to FSX.

How did you arrive at that conclusion ?

Windows 7 supports DX11 how else are so many folks including myself running P3D on W7

dx11.jpg

24 minutes ago, Glynn said:

How did you arrive at that conclusion ?

Windows 7 supports DX11 how else are so many folks including myself running P3D on W7

dx11.jpg

Glynn - I saw on one of the posts Win 10 recommended for DX 11.

Also I though it will future proof if P3D goes DX12???.

Are you happy with DX11 performance in Win 7 64 bit ?.

Has anyone run P3D v4 on new AMD Ryzen 7 -  8 core ?.

I know FSX did not perform well on AMD CPU's, have not heard any reports on P3D.

• Upvote 1