Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

PC Build for P3D v4

just bought a new rig for P3D v4. 500gb SSD, 1080ti, msi titanium mobo, 7700k, 32gb RAM. as another member said, these are perfect specs for your rig..i'm getting outstanding performance..but costly! 🙂

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, ozflyer said:

Are you happy with DX11 performance in Win 7 64 bit ?.

Very happy, there are many aspects of Windows 10 that I do not like, so for now I am happy with a stable Windows 7 system.

I personally haven't updated my box since 2009, and also hibernated from the hobby for at least 3 years, patiently awaiting 64bit and it is finally here so I've instantly begun the new build and I'm back in it and very happy with the performance so far. I'm pretty sure my wife hates me right now.

i7 7700K
Asus Maximus IX Hero
16Gb GSkill Ripjaws
Phanteks Eclipse P400S 
Corsair 850W PSU
EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked 2
2 SSDs

Unfortunately I couldn't afford 1080 ti on this brand new build, but I may upgrade at some point in time. I am getting very solid FPS in the 777X and in general in love with the performance.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

6 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I personally haven't updated my box since 2009, and also hibernated from the hobby for at least 3 years, patiently awaiting 64bit and it is finally here so I've instantly begun the new build and I'm back in it and very happy with the performance so far. I'm pretty sure my wife hates me right now.

i7 7700K
Asus Maximus IX Hero
16Gb GSkill Ripjaws
Phanteks Eclipse P400S 
Corsair 850W PSU
EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked 2
2 SSDs

Unfortunately I couldn't afford 1080 ti on this brand new build, but I may upgrade at some point in time. I am getting very solid FPS in the 777X and in general in love with the performance.

I am in a similar situation, my current build was back in Dec 2009.

With the release of 64 bit, wanting to go for a new build.

Keeping my case, 650watt PSU and water cooler, the new build with 32 GB RAM looks like going to cost Aussie $ 2300/- with ASUS STRIX 1070.

15 hours ago, Glynn said:

Very happy, there are many aspects of Windows 10 that I do not like, so for now I am happy with a stable Windows 7 system.

The Kaby Lake processors, such as an i7 7700k, is NOT supported by Windows 7. You have to have Windows 10, so there is really not a choice to be made for this generation of processors. Below is one of many articles that discuss this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

7 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

The Kaby Lake processors, such as an i7 7700k, is NOT supported by Windows 7. You have to have Windows 10, so there is really not a choice to be made for this generation of processors. Below is one of many articles that discuss this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-wont-work-intels-current-next-gen-cpus/

Windows 10 Pro it is then....

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi, just a quick comment regarding having more than 1 SSD....I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, but when I built my last rig (2014) after following many hours of on-line research - I was led to believe that it was best to have a at least 2 SSDs as you wanted your OS on one and your flight simulator on the other.  It's nothing to do with speed/ performance - but the research from various sources said if you install your Sim on the same SSD as the OS then Windows would interfere with the rights and permissions . Not sure if this is the same with Win 10Pro. Any of you remember NickN's bible It's quite long-winded but it was a great source of information   .

I've finally decided to leave FSX and move to P3DV4 ...I've waited long enough and can't tolerate any more OOM issues. I've got lots of pay ware though so was worried a bit about losing that investment - mainly various aircraft from A2A, CaptainSim, JustFlight...scenery from ORBX, LatinVFR and FlyTampa  etc. I built the below spec PC back in 2014 for FSX  - but would like your advice on what needs upgrading for P3DV4.

My current view is to :

1) upgrade from Win 7 64 bit Home Premium to Win 10 Pro  ...but I'm not sure if Win 10 is as stable and do I really need to worry about DX11 if I stay with Win 7?

2) I've currently got 8GB Ram (HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz ) was thinking of moving up to high quality 32 GB .. now that I can make use of it. Some say 16GB will be enough.

3) upgrade to 250-500GB SSD for Win 10 Pro   - I've almost used up the 120GB SSD for Win 7. Thinking that 500GB will be future proofed. Anything else I've missed. I've only just started to research. Thanks

Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-4790k 4.00GHz OC @ max. 4.7GHz N/A 8MB L2             

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler                

Corsair 850W RM Series Modular              

3GB nvidia GeForce GTX 780                      

HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz (max 2 sticks) 

ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER    Z97 Motherboard             

500GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO 6 Gb/s           

1TB SEAGATE SSHD 6 Gb/s 1,000 GB + 8GB                    

The ARCTIC MX-4 inew thermal compound                        

COOLERMASTER CM STORM TROOPER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE               

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium

1 x 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

1 x 500GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO 6 Gb/s           

1 x 1TB SEAGATE SSHD 6 Gb/s 1,000 GB + 8GB               

35 minutes ago, speedbird438 said:

I've finally decided to leave FSX and move to P3DV4 ...I've waited long enough and can't tolerate any more OOM issues. I've got lots of pay ware though so was worried a bit about losing that investment - mainly various aircraft from A2A, CaptainSim, JustFlight...scenery from ORBX, LatinVFR and FlyTampa  etc. I built the below spec PC back in 2014 for FSX  - but would like your advice on what needs upgrading for P3DV4.

My current view is to :

1) upgrade from Win 7 64 bit Home Premium to Win 10 Pro  ...but I'm not sure if Win 10 is as stable and do I really need to worry about DX11 if I stay with Win 7?

2) I've currently got 8GB Ram (HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz ) was thinking of moving up to high quality 32 GB .. now that I can make use of it. Some say 16GB will be enough.

3) upgrade to 250-500GB SSD for Win 10 Pro   - I've almost used up the 120GB SSD for Win 7. Thinking that 500GB will be future proofed. Anything else I've missed. I've only just started to research. Thanks

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler                

HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz (max 2 sticks) 

ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER    Z97 Motherboard             

First off, all of your payware except for captain sim will be a free upgrade to v4 if I'm not mistaken. For the pc:your CPU should be fine, if you were going to upgrade then I'd wait for a Coffee Lake 6 core. The 7700K just isn't a huge improvement over it apples to apples. Again, got cooler should be fine if temperatures are within reason. If you're not upgrading your CPU then the motherboard doesn't need to be touched. Your storage looks good, I'm assuming that SSD is for P3D, case is your preference, I'd upgrade to Windows 10 just for the stability and features alone, it's a great OS, your PSU should be fine as long as you don't plan on SLI, your ram should be bumped up to a 16 GB with 32 shouldn't being necessary for a while. I have 16 and barely hit 50% utilization at KSFO with sliders cranked in the 747, but your GPU will have to go. It's just too underpowered. I have a 1070 and while its a great card, the 1080 would be better considering it's in the same price range now as the 1080ti is out. Obviously; the Ti would be the best but not everyone has 700 dollars to drop on a GPU at the moment. A 1070, 1080, or 1080 Ti would all be great choices, it just depends on your budget.

Hi, thanks for your response. Hopefully good news regarding my pay ware. I can always use FSX if I want to use the stuff that's not compatible. Was wondering if anyone has dual boot with Win 7 64 with FSX and Win 10 with P3DV4 -is that straight forward - not done dual boots for years.  Glad CPU, PSU, cooling and MB are ok I intend on keeping the current CPU. As for storage my 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for Win 7 is running low (13GB left after clearing what I can and using Win tool to clean it up). I intend on purchasing either 250GB or 500GB  - something equivalent to Samsung  - may be  the 850.  

Thanks for your insight regarding the GPU. I'm surprised the GPU is no longer good enough though  -was hoping for a couple more years of use (3GB nvidia GeForce GTX 780 ). If you believe in the bench test results the GTX 780 is still ranked quite high  Average Bench: 60.9% (29th of 544) @ userbenchtest   but yes...you're right..the 1080 would be better - that's ranked 3rd out 544 tested.

Hi all, thanks for the advice so far...I'm almost there and ready to upgrade my rig after saving up to move to Prepar3d V4. I was going to buy  a new rig but they're very expensive in UK - so I thought I may as well upgrade instead. From the below list I'll be upgrading the Ram to 16GB unless it's not too much more for a total of 32Gb Ram. I'll be upgrading to Win 10  and I'll be buying another SSD of at least 500Gb for Prepa3d v4 only. I'll be buying another SSD for Windows 10 (again 500Gb SSD) to replace the 120Gb SSD that Windows 7 64 uses.   . I intend on keeping my existing 1TB SSHD for the scenery files.  I'll also be upgrading the GPU to either GTX 1070Ti or 1080 GTX. I can't justify getting a 1080 Ti at an extra £400 / $600.

Some more questions though - I want to increase my existing Ram  - it currently has 2 x 4gb HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz ...I think the CAS latency is CL11 and it's DDR3 but how do I verify that? It only says 8GB Ram in the control panel Performance information and tools.  The reason I ask is I'd like to upgrade to at least 16Gb but it's hard finding the exact same Ram to buy (HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz). Can anyone recommend an alternative Ram to get me up to 16Gb - I know the CAS has to be the same from research - but it also says timings and voltage also has to be the same too.   How do I ascertain timings and voltage? Or is it better for me to buy brand new Ram either 2 x 8GB or 2 x 16Gb if I can afford that? If I mix I'd like an alternative Ram that I can use alongside the existing HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz.

In the future I'd like to fly using VR  when prices come down a bit.  Below is my kit before I upgrade - I'm using it for FSX with lots of payware but I'm suffering badly from OOE messages:

Any advice would be greatly received - thanks Jason:

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler                

HyperX Beast  8GB 2133MHz (max 2 sticks) 

ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER    Z97 Motherboard             

If that's your current system (at 4.7GHz) - all I would do is get a GTX 1070 (except GPU prices are INSANE right now), and get 16GB DDR3 ram (which runs about 140-150 USD).

And then get P3D v4 - and you'll like what you've got!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for your advice Ryanbatcund, the GTX 1070 is about £600 in the UK ($850) and if you look around it's not that much for a 1080. The bench marks comparing these 2 (if you can rely on them) makes you wonder if it's work spending  the extra £50 / $80  for the 1080 - wouldn't mind yours or anyone's advice on that.

Comparison 1070 / 1080  core clock = 1506MHz to 1607MHz, Memory clock = 2002MHz to 2500MHz and Max TDP  150W to 180W

Regarding the ram (HyperX Beast 2133) I can't find the exact same Ram anymore - I bought it about 4 years ago but the nearest Ram I can find on Amazon from HyperX has a different voltage  - so I can't use that (apparently). I searched for the specification of my existing Ram and came across Hardware.info and it lists my Ram spec as follows:

HyperX Beast 2133 DDR3-2133 CL11 kit 8GB PC3-17000/17066 DIMM ....1.6 V  / kit of multiple modules Heat Spreader  and XMP Support  (not compatible with ECC / Registered)

It's probably easier if I just buy brand new Ram rather than trying to match my Ram with something that's going to work from another type of Ram. What do you think? I can buy brand new Ram and go upto 32GB and not have to worry about upgrading Ram again eg (HyperX 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM (4 x 8 GB) XMP Beast Series, Kit of 4 ) for about £255 / $366