Sign in to follow this  
Juergen

Changing ILS Frequency in FMC

Hi,

I was on a flight from OPKC (Karachi) to OMDB (Dubai) and at flying the STAR (BUBI1B) to runway 30R, I checked the NAV/RAD ILS frequency. I found that the wrong frequency was entered and tried to change it manually.

Th MCDU would not allow me to change the frequency and I had to fly the approach manually. I can't remember the exact wording of the message, but manual entry was NOT possible. BTW I was NOT on final yet and the approach was NOT armed. Also runway 30R was selected in the Arrival?approach page.

How can I change the ILS frequency manually once it is shown in the FMC/NAV RAD page.

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Hi,

I believe? I can answer my own post:

I flew an ILS approach with FSiPanel to Rwy 30R in OMDB and the correct ILS frequency was selected in the NAV/Rad page.

That said, it must have been that I selected the wrong runway by mistake when entering the Arrival into OMDB on my flight from Karachi to Dubai. If that was the case and me NOT changing the runway in the Arrival page, I am pretty sure the FMC does NOT allow an ILS frequency change on the NAV/RAD page!

Any comments would be appreciated

Brgds

Juergen Mader

The format is xxx.xx/yyy (i.e. you must enter the frequency AND the correct front course - e.g. 110.90/271). Anything you enter manually will override the automatic entry.

I am reasonably sure you should be able to tune any frequency and/or course you want regardless of the selected runway/approach. However, you may get an message alerting you to the mismatch (IIRC).

I am absolute positive I entered the ILS frequency and front course in the format you posted and still it would NOT let me change. The message was not "ILS MISMAtch", but something ......NOT ALLOWED. I don't think I can recreate the situation, but I certainly will keep an eye out for it

Thanks for your reply

Brgds

Juergen Mader

You must insert an "M" at the end of the ILS frequency and Runway QDM.

Example:

110.10/335M

Brian Nellis

1 hour ago, Copper. said:

You must insert an "M" at the end of the ILS frequency and Runway QDM.

Example:

110.10/335M

Not true, the FMS will automatically enter a M if manually entered, A if automatic. (FCOM 11.50.8)

Dan Downs KCRP

So what could be the reason I couldn't enter the ILS/Course into the FMC?

Thanks

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Hi,

FCOM gives the following:

All three ILS receivers can be manually tuned from the NAV RADIO page unless
ILS approach tuning inhibit is active.
ILS approach tuning inhibit is active when:
• the autopilot is engaged and either the localizer or glideslope is captured
• the flight director is engaged, and either the localizer or the glideslope is
captured, and the airplane is below 500 feet radio altitude, or
• on the ground, the localizer is alive, airplane heading is within 45 degrees
of the localizer front course, and ground speed is greater than 40 knots
ILS tuning is enabled by disengaging the autopilot and turning OFF both flight
director switches.

Are you sure you were not in one of these conditions?

Another possibility would be that the frequency you try to enter is not valid (VOR frequency instead of ILS frequency). Though this would return an "Invalid entry".

It worked on the FSX version so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the P3D version. But I will try during my next flight to confirm that. I confirm, it works also on my side on P3D v4.

Edited by Budbud

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

It works. I have done it a few times. Eg. 110.10/335

If it does not work open FSX planner and check what freq it says for that runway.

I have also done that, checked FSX flightplanner and used that freq.

Per W Sweden

5 hours ago, PerWel said:

It works. I have done it a few times. Eg. 110.10/335

If it does not work open FSX planner and check what freq it says for that runway.

I have also done that, checked FSX flightplanner and used that freq.

I don't follow you.  Do you have a problem?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan, 

Per is just answering to Juergen who is the OP asking.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Hi All,

I can not say with complete certainty whether I was or was not in one of the conditions described by "Budbud".

I will try again on a later flight.

Anyway, thanks for all the Info and Help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

I use to fly to Dubai OMDB for my VA and I have often experienced this problem. The referenced STAR BUBI1B runs parallel to both runways 12L and 12R as a left downwind, and after passing the airport, you should turn a base LEFT to join the 12R localizer. BUT, when turning this base, you pass in front of the 12L localizer and, at this very moment, the FMC changes automatically the 12R "IDBE" ILS letters for the 12L"IDBR" ILS letters, and the FMC sends the message of ILS mismatch. 

Attention to this: it changes the letters but doesn't change the frequency, thus emitting the message. 

This also happened to me arriving in Miami KMIA. The FMC was programmed to one of the parallel runways, but when passing in front of the other, it captured it's ILS frequency. 

How to avoid this? Normally, this is a situation in which you're preoccupied with other procedures for safe landing and then, at that point, you have to quickly peel a pineapple!

Just to clarify one detail : the BUBI1B STAR attends to both runways 12L and 12R. 

Best,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

9 hours ago, Heronjr said:

How to avoid this?

Keep your sim scenery and your nav data up to date. Nav data being up to date is all well and good, but keep in mind that it updates to match the real world. If you're not keeping your sim scenery up to date for the real world...well...it's gonna cause issues.

Kyle Rodgers