Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

WHEA BSOD

For the past could of days I have been getting a WHEA Uncontrollable Error BSOD, I have run everything from driver updates, chk dsk, dism, sfc and couldn't find a solution. I have just run Prime95 and the BSOD happened within minutes of using it, luckily I installed BSV therefor I have the information needed to diagnose what is causing the issue, but I don't have the knowledge so therefor I am seeking help here as a last resort. 

Untitled_zpskaldah5t.png

I appear the have fixed the issue, I narrowed it down a faulty RAM Socket, I was using slots 2 and 4 after doing some tests with each stick of RAM I discovered that socket 2 was faulty and the cause of the issue, therefor I am now running a config of 1 and 3, I have been running Prime95 for the past hour and not had a single issue, where as before I couldn't pass 30 seconds without an issue. 

Glad to hear you found the issue.  A BSOD indicates a hardware issue but sometimes hard to pin down.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 2017-6-10 at 7:14 PM, Jim Young said:

Glad to hear you found the issue.  A BSOD indicates a hardware issue but sometimes hard to pin down.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, after going through a week without a BSOD I thought I had fixed it until this evening while playing Battlefield 1 and having a really good match low and behold I get the dreaded WHEA error again, caused by the same two dll's as before. After running everything from Prime95 using a custom memory test value of 16000mb while running furmark and HD Tune all at the same time basically bringing my system to a snails pace. I cannot recreate the BSOD, however I did notice in my BIOS that the frequency I had overclocked my cpu to had reset itself to its default setting of 3.5Ghz which I thought was super strange. I have a friend who develops Intel chips and he told me that if an intel chip overheats then it will clock back down to avoid a crash of the system, his views are is that the CPU is perfectly fine and I also would say that. Now moving onto the GPU - its a shame it hasn't showed any signs of being the culprit as it is being replaced in a matter of days, the RAM also seems perfectly fine, I have also run hard disk checks and not had any error reports, I have run Windows memory diagnostics and that didn't find any issues, memtest hasn't found any issues I am baffled. My last thought would be that something on my mobo is causing the issue. 

Your thoughts? 

What does the BSOD report show?  I would like to know what the Bug Check String shows and the Bug Check Code.  In your OP, the Bug Check code was 0124 which indicates your CPU voltage is set too high or too low.  A return to optimal defaults in the BIOS will usually fix this BSOD.  The two files in pink show the drivers that caused the crash.

Prime95 is worthless as far as I'm concerned.  A couple of years ago when I was suffering many BSOD's while messing with my OC settings, I ran Prime95 and the IntelBurnTest.  Both passed with flying colors and indicated my system was stable.  I was in hog-heaven!  Ran FSX and got a BSOD after a few minutes into the flight.  Returned my OC back to the default or the optimal default and all was well again.

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, I recommend one download a driver update program (there are many by using Google).  I use Driver Booster which is freeware (but I bought the licensed version).  Windows update does not update hardware except your graphics card and it really does not do a good job at that!  USB ports could be defective or the drivers for the ports could be out of date.  The sys bus could be out of date.  Your SATA controllers could be out of date.  Anyone of these pieces of hardware could cause a crash simply with an out of date hardware driver.  There is no other program that comes with Windows that updates all of your hardware like programs like a driver update program.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim thanks a lot! I have been looking for a good driver updater for ever!! One for free atleast. Driver booster is updating most of my hardware which it has longed for. 

As for the other issues, I have joined Bleeping Computers (dot) com and used their system analysis tool, hopefully they will get back to me and let me know the exact faulting module. 

In the meantime I am using the automatic overclock (OC Genie) on my board, if the BSOD persists then I know it isn't my original OC and I can return to that. 

EDIT: I have managed to recreate the BSOD by running both Prime95 and Intel Burn Test at the same time. I am running the two programs in tandem again without the OC and it appears to be doing fine. 

WHEA BSOD is almost always due to an unstable CPU overclock due to insufficient Vcore voltage.  You can either raise your Vcore or lower your overclock.

-someone who has been overclocking for 20+ years