Sign in to follow this  
stripealipe

FSDreamTeam offer!

On 11/6/2017 at 4:54 AM, Manny said:

Where did you guys hear that Flightbeam is not going to use the COUTAL software? Link please?

I used to be hard on FSDT for that COUATL thingi, primarily because it used to be give me grief and second, it disables one of the features I use.. Replay. 

Couatl doesn't "disable" the instant reply, of course. It's a limitation of how the instant reply is made, which doesn't reply objects created programmatically.

Of course, since we have been doing sceneries by creating objects programmatically for years, when nobody did that, some assumed this was an "Addon Manager problem" or a "Couatl problem" but today, since so many other developers are doing sceneries programmatically creating objects (which is the only way to bypass lots of the limitations of the .BGL format), some of them using SODE (not just for jetways), others using similar solutions with their own software modules, there are many more sceneries out there that won't show up in the Instant replay so, hopefully, people will stop assuming it was our software that "disabled" a function of the sim.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:54 AM, Manny said:

But FSDT couatl has been working pretty flawlessly lately and FSDT has been giving us free updates (not unlike Fly Tampa) from FSX , to P3D v2 to v3 to v4. So I give virtuali a thumbs up!

Of course it does. And it was the flexibility of our software system, which allowed to release everything for V4 on release day, because we only had to port the Addon Manager .dll to 64 bit since Couatl, being an external executable, didn't had to be changed much, only in very minor parts.

And, because of the enormous flexibility of the software, we could change the sceneries behavior entirely, if they run under P3D V4, without having to change the sceneries themselves because, since it seems that some still don't get what a scripting engine does, it was enough to tweak the scripts that run the sceneries, and they all were updated instantly to the new memory management strategy.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2017 at 3:35 AM, FalconAF said:

Not with my money anymore.  What they did to my P3Dv3 installation that worked perfectly before I ran their new P3Dv4 installers sealed the deal for me.  No warning whatsoever that the installers would update my P3Dv3 installation so I couldn't use the Scenery Library GUI for their products anymore.  I've had enough with them too.

You keep confusing what is a limitation of the P3D GUI, that doesn't allow to re-arrange Scenery Areas added using the official scenery installation method introduced with P3D V3 (something of course LM might fix with an update), with our installers.

Of course, more and more developers will realize how much better this system is, and either LM will finally allow to rearrange every scenery area from the Scenery Library menu, or 3rd party developers will do utilities that will allow to bypass this limitation, at least until LM would fix this. And in fact, the first utilities are already available.

I already told you, so many times and in so many different threads that I would surely like if it was possible to rearrange all the areas from the sim UI, and we asked LM to add this, in their developers forum. I'm sure that if enough users will add to the request, instead of barking at the wrong tree, they might listen, making all these discussions a moot point.

I already explained, many times already, the BIG advantages of the new system:

- When you uninstall the sim, even cleaning all the preferences, you won't have to reinstall your addons. Well, not all of them. Only the good ones, the smart ones. Those that used the new installation system...

- An addon can now be installed entirely outside the sim. Before, some files couldn't be added anywhere other than under the root of the sim: Effects, Autogen, Sounds, for example so, when reinstalling, you had to figure it out which files belonged to what addon.

- Addons won't have to share the centralized scenery.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml and prepar3d/fsx.cfg files anymore. And won't have any reason to TOUCH them. We heard so many times how users mistakenly assumed an addon (Couatl?) had a "problem", when the problem was caused by ANOTHER faulty addon that corrupted one of these files, changed the Simobjectpaths in the wrong way, changed the encoding of the xml files without writing the proper header, corrupting the scenery.cfg by adding illegal commands to it, thus confusing other product legit installers, which used proper parsing routines (XML, for example), that correctly refuse to parse illegal files. These issues are now a thing of the past, since add-ons will have each one its own add-on.xml, so they are not supposed to mess with the default files of the sim.

- We can now install into 2 or 3 sim ( FSX, P3D, P3D V4, for example), without wasting ANY space, because we install only one set of files, and the tiny add-on.xml files in the Documents folder for each sim that supports it. Compare this to the old method, where there was a copy of the scenery in each sim, wasting lots of space with duplicate files.

- Users begged us for years to give them the ability to install any place they like, with the typical usage case of having the sim installed into a fast and relatively small SSD drive as C: and a big hard drive with all the addons with any other letter, so we listened, and it's now possible.

Would you like to know the procedure to reinstall after a Windows reformat, if you have the sceneries installed on a separate drive ?

- Backup your Documents\Prepar3d add-ons folders, which contains ONLY the add-on.xml files. Since anybody doing a reformat will usually backup his Documents folder, I guess we can take it for granted you we'll be able to restore these folders.

- Reformat and reinstall Windows

- Restore the Documents\Prepar3d add-ons folders from the backup.

- Reinstall the sim

- Start the sim and just reply Yes to all the request to re-enable the previous add-ons.

This would complete ALL the FSDT restore procedure. Now, you'll have to reinstall ALL your other addons. Those not using the new system.

I can only imagine, one day in the future, somewhere a child will say something like this:

"Hey Granpa, tell me again of the time when you had to reinstall all your addons after you reinstalled the sim: did you really had to do that ? I'm so happy I wasn't born there..."

I'm sorry virtuali, but I'm with the other guys on this one. I bought my first and only FSDreamTeam product (Vancouver) back in Nov 2015 and that was the start of endless problems. The installation process was unnecessarily complex and confusing, think they called it "esellerate" or something, but I couldn't get the scenery activated and had to contact the company for help. There were some nice features in the scenery like hangar doors opening with key commands, which was probably done by your couatl software, but that stopped working after the second or third time. I was also not happy with the frame rate hit of the airport and decided to uninstall it. That completely messed up my FSX and I remember seeing these coutatl error messages popping up, after I uninstalled it!! I just couldn't get rid of it no matter what I tried. Eventually had to wipe FSX and start fresh. You do a very good sales pitch over here, but I'm sorry I'm avoiding anything with the name FSDreamTeam, Virtuali and/or Couatl. Once bitten, twice shy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

5 hours ago, rooitou said:

I'm sorry virtuali, but I'm with the other guys on this one.

Luck of the draw I guess.  

In the past six years I've purchased and installed KJFK v2, KORD, KDFW, KIAH, and now KCLT and KMEM.  Running FSX SP2 and Win 7 Pro 64-bit and no major issues.

Do I get crashes occasionally?  Yep, but I get them with my non-FSDT stuff also.

Has a FSDreamTeam product ever required me to wipe FSX, or do an install.  Nope.

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

1 hour ago, airernie said:

Luck of the draw I guess

Yes, quite right, I should have said I'm with some of the other guys. There are definitely a lot of people very happily using FSDreamTeam products and I assume they are by far the majority, otherwise FSDreamTeam would not still be in existence today. I do welcome products that bring innovative features to our FSX world, as long as they don't break my simulator or have overly complicated or debilitating features. The combination of FSDreamTeam's DRM install and the problems with Couatl was just too much for me to handle.

1 hour ago, airernie said:

Do I get crashes occasionally?  Yep, but I get them with my non-FSDT stuff also.

Again you make a good point, I too have crashes with other products, but I can generally figure out what went wrong and correct it fairly quickly, without permanent damage to FSX. Of my 500-odd paid add-ons, the FSDreamTeam product was the only one that I couldn't recover from. I'm sure there may have been some user error or ignorance involved as well, but my thinking is that if they're making their product so damn convoluted, then I'd rather just avoid it and spend that time on products that I can understand and enjoy. Like many others here, I will definitely have another look at FlightBeam now that they've dropped Couatl, but I just hope they haven't simply replaced one clumsy system with another.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

I have no problems whatsoever with their products.....

Maybe I am just not a power user ;-)

• Upvote 1

I did install the new package from FSDT installing GSX and upating KLAS.  While I am running P3D v3, I like this change so far.

It is nice to have Terminal E working and the SODE jetways are a nice touch, too.

Grazie, Umberto.

• Upvote 1

Stephen Forsgren

I have no issues with Fsdt products I have just about all of them and gsx running flawlessly

• Upvote 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

On 6/14/2017 at 2:31 AM, swiesma said:

I have no problems whatsoever with their products.....

Maybe I am just not a power user ;-)

Neither do I. Works great and the transition to P3D v4 went very smoothly.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.