Sign in to follow this  
kolaf

Multi monitors distortion fix?

I'm not sure if this is new in V4 or not, but I was playing around with trying to fix my distorted view using multiple screens when I found something that might help.

I have three monitors for my main display, covering around 135°. When they stretched the single view window over these three monitors I get significant distortion at the edges where everything seems to be enlarged. This leads to things appearing to be closer than they are in your life, as well as the textures appear unreasonably blurred given how close they seem.

I have tried setting up a view group covering the three monitors, and while this solves the problem, it reduces my frame rate from 50-60 to around 30 in a FTX region with the same settings.

I noticed that there is something called custom cameras but you can create by right clicking and selecting "Custom cameras" that allow you to apply postprocessing filters. One of these filters is called something like "DistortionFixCylindrical". I created a new custom view, added this filter, and the results looked completely different from before. Is it any better? I'm not sure. It appears to apply some magic to stretch and compress the image in an attempt to make it fit better into a cylindrical projection (at least what we is approximate as a cylindrical projection with three flat surfaces). The sides are no longer so stretched out, but the scaling when panning around seems a bit alien at first glance.

Has anyone tried to play with this before? If so, what are your experiences and how do you think it looks? I haven't flown enough with it to decide whether I like it a lot since it feels completely different than the original setup without the additional postprocessing.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

will try thanks, I have noticed that with v4 the sharp textures to the side monitors make the stretch less profound than before

I have found this to be the case as well.

Thought I was imagining it.

Cheers,

Mark

8 hours ago, newtie said:

I have found this to be the case as well.
Thought I was imagining it.

Undoubtedly you are. Unless LM has changed the projection algorithm it seems very implausible that texture resolution could have any effect on distortion.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

For those of you who don't want to check it out yourselves I created a couple of short videos that show the effects. The first two videos compare backups just dragging the window over all three screens because with and without the cylindrical distortion fix just panning around the cockpit on ground with a FOV of about 135, suitable for spreading over three monitors with 45° angles.

The final video is in-flight footage using the cylindrical distortion fix. It looks much better on three wrapping screens than on one long flat one :-).

The seems to be negligible performance it, although the image appears much more draining after being put through the additional postprocessing step. I'm not sure if I'm using it as intended, and I'm equally sure if this is something I will stick with.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Wow, that edge distrotion in a turn in your last video is really  mind bending :).

Is there really less side stretching? At about 2:00 in those clouds at the edges still look very vertically stretched compared  to centre.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, gboz said:

. . .  At about 2:00 in those clouds at the edges still look very vertically stretched compared  to centre.

+1---I'll stick with the original stretched version.  The last video seems even more unnatural with the upwards curving. 

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, kolaf said:

I have tried setting up a view group covering the three monitors, and while this solves the problem, it reduces my frame rate from 50-60 to around 30 in a FTX region with the same settings.

kolaf.

Have you solved this massive fps drop? I am suffering from it too. I use borderlees program and every time I either expand the view across all 3 monitors or use borderless program fps drops severely. I've been messing around with graphic setting since v4 release and still no luck. It is killing all desire to fly. 

Thx 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”