Sign in to follow this  
stripealipe

Cloud shadow popping....

Gah, i thought i'd maybe seen the back of this, but it still persists.... running a 3930K with a 1080 ti card and everything runs smooth on a 30hz monitor, yet when i'm panning my view in the VC the cloud shadows pop in and out like crazy sometimes... so annoying! Anyone else getting this and anyone know of a tweak to make my hardware try and deal with it better?

cheers!

As far as I can tell this a shortcoming of the engine and not of your hardware.

No, not seeing this at all.
What is your cloud draw distance?
If set to max and there is a lot of cloud it could be a hardware limitation?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Do you use a shader editing tool like URP or PTA? The only time I experienced popping of cloud shadows was after editing shader files.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

12 hours ago, stripealipe said:

Gah, i thought i'd maybe seen the back of this, but it still persists.... running a 3930K with a 1080 ti card and everything runs smooth on a 30hz monitor, yet when i'm panning my view in the VC the cloud shadows pop in and out like crazy sometimes... so annoying! Anyone else getting this and anyone know of a tweak to make my hardware try and deal with it better?

cheers!

Things like this happen when you try to fix an old engine. ;) In v3 I saw shadow popping all the time when I looked around using TrackIR at places that were outside of the default cone of view ahead of you. In front of you things look good but towards the side things can get messy: shadows disappear and come back again or, also annoying, shadows have a clear hard cut ending that moves in sync with your moving of the view. 

People that don't see this aren't looking good or always look straight ahead or simply don't notice it because it doesn't bother them.