Sign in to follow this  
RobWhightNZ

Driver Power State Failures

Folks,

I'm posting here as, so far at least, I have only been able to replicate the issue when in a PMDG (777 or 747QOTSII) - that said, I am NOT yet convinced that this is tied to PMDG aircraft.

I keep getting the dreaded Blue Screen or complete computer freeze (requiring a hard reset to get out of it). If I get the Blue Screen, it refers to "Driver Power State Failure". I've done a google on this and whilst it isn't unheard of, I can't find anything definitive to narrow down the issue or even find a fix.

What I'm seeing:

• Between 5 and 30 mins in aircraft (777 or 747QOTSII) freeze or blue screen (as above)
  • Doesn't appear to happen in other aircraft (e.g. A2A C172 - even after 40+ mins)

Set up:

• i7 4770K O.C. @ 4.1Mhz (Corsair AIO Water cooler)
  • ASUS Z87-Pro
  • 16Gb DDR3 Ram
  • 2 x GTX 780 Sli (Latest NVidia Drivers)

Installation:

• Windows 10
  • P3DV4
  • Active Sky 16 and ASCA
  • Aircraft as above
  • A number of FSDreamTeam airports installed (but not flying anywhere near those areas) and Orbx Global

Some initial thoughts (I may be barking up the wrong tree here):

• If no one else is getting this then it would suggest this is not PMDG related (If that turns out to be the case I may need to case a moderate to move this to the appropriate forum)
  • I have a Saitek X52 joystick (I'm a little suspicious but I don't get the issue at any other time)
  • Could it be SLI ? Under P3DV4 they are working pretty hard - I'm doing so testing at present to see if putting everything to minimal settings helps at all
  • Could it be the o.C. on the CPU ? Haven't had any issue elsewhere but again, P3DV4 pushes it pretty hard

If there's any more info you need or if there is a dump file that would help (or a monitoring programme that I can install to help point me in the right direction), just let me know.

Basically, any pointers gratefully received - starting to look like a full wipe and rebuild of everything unless I can get some hints :huh:

Cheers,

Rob

I had many blue screen episodes earlier this year and it turned out to be a bad power supply.  Basically happened overnight.  Not sure it is your problem but something to consider.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

It is very rare for any application to cause a blue screen.  I agree with Dick, you have a potential hardware problem.  The first thing I would do is run a stress test to see if you can pass that.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

This bugcheck can be caused be overclocking your CPU.  Are you doing that?

I would also go for a bad psu but before throwing it away try to run a benchmark for let's say 2 hrs.

One at a time please

For the CPU use Prime95 - the small FFTs test

and for the GPUs MSI afterburner - run here the donut stress test.

If you pass these test, things will get complicated, while otherwise it seems to be a hardware issue.

Cheers 

Henrik 

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Thanks for all your advice chaps.

I note your your advice regarding the power supply. I'd be a bit surprised as it is (from memory without opening her up right now) a corsair 1200, i.e. She's get plenty of umph. Though I accept even then, it could still fail.

It will be the weekend before I get a chance to do the above stress tests.

Given that all are suggesting this is hardware and not PMDG related, could a moderator please move this to the appropriate forum ? (Don't want these sort of suggestions sitting in my favourite supplier's forum unfairly 😉)

I'll update this thread when I know more in case it helps others.

Thanks folks,

Rob

I was having the same problem, however it was happening with any aircraft regardless. It would run from anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes and then just freeze. It would also freeze up on the main windows screen Plugging in headphones or even unplugging them would cause a freeze. I would get random blue screens on start up. I found booting up the PC with only the mouse and keyboard plugged in and then plugging in each device again in turn, different USB hubs if possible, would solve it for a few hours. Then on reboot it would happen all over again. I thought it was a problem with the sound card or realtek drivers. Eventually after some internet research,I went to the event viewer  and it reported the hang's. This was narrowed down to Windows live and windows video editor or something like that. I ran a repair of Windows live from the control panel and I can report I have had FSX running for 2 entire weekends without a hitch and no blue screens....yet !  Your problem sounds a lot like mine and you have my TOTAL sympathy! It is the most frustrating thing ever!... Apart from the pubs closing early.

Kevin Jeffery.

Thanks. I'll see what I can find from EventViewer. I'm taking it that it is fairly obvious when you get there 😳

Cheers,

Rob

22 hours ago, RobWhightNZ said:

Thanks. I'll see what I can find from EventViewer. I'm taking it that it is fairly obvious when you get there 😳

Cheers,

Rob

When in event viewer, Go to Windows Logs. Application, allow this to load up. This will have various errors, some red , some yellow. (this is what the Microsoft scammers go to to try to show you the faults). The ones you are looking for are the last entry prior to either a reboot which you had to do because of a blue screen, and or any description of a hang. (i am running windows 7 but I assume the log files will be the same or similar on windows 10?

If for example I had 3 lock ups in one day, you can work out the time and event, or hang. Reading this will give you a clue to the program causing the issue as it will be the same error/hang cropping up at the time of the problem.

from there I went into program features in the control panel and uninstall a program. Most programs will allow you to run a repair rather than uninstalling it (which I did). This hopefully will enable you to allow windows or the application to repair itself and with a bit of luck you may have solved the problem.

What i found strange was the issue of the headphones causing the freeze and was convinced therefore it was the sound card  or drivers. uninstalling and re-installing the drivers would allow it to run for a while and then on reboot the same problem would occur. In the end it appeared to be related to something entirely different.

Good luck!

Kevin Jeffery.

@Mrkev: Thanks for your advice. Hoping it rains plenty at the weekend so that I have the required excuse to stay in 😁 I can see that I'll need to be pretty methodical. Fortunately, it is happening so regularly, I should have much trouble recreating it 😳

I'll report back on what I find on this thread in case that helps others.

Cheers,

R

Following on from the advice above, I started to get into EventViewer. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-Bit. Having had a look round EventViewer, i decided that the first thing to do was clear all the logs so that I could then start to see what was new etc. For those that need to do the same, here's my routine:

• Start task manager
  • Select File from the menu
  • Press CTRL and "Run new task"
  • Paste the following:
  • for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"

Let this run and it clears the logs. When you open EventViwer again you can clearly see what is new etc.

First finding for me was that my Brother Printer driver seemed to be raised a lot of errors. I have a Brother MFC-6490CW networked scanner/printer but for the purposes of finding the thing that is crashing the PC, I downloded their official uninstall utility and ran that, rebooted and then cleared the logs again as above.

At last, some clarity :biggrin:

Ran AS16, ASCA and then P3D, grabbed the PMDG 747 QOTSII, jumped to a runway at a random, default airport (NZAA as I'm in NZ), just fired her up and set off south towards NZCH. Got to about FL200 before the computer froze (Couldn't task switch, open task manager, etc.), waited for a bit and he presto, CTD with a "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE".

Rebooted and went into EventViewer. I'm seeing two critical errors - they both occured with the same timestamp:

• EventID 41 - Kernel-Power - Task Category: 63
  • EventID 10118 - DriverFrameworks-UserMode - Task category: Startup of the UMDF reflector

That's as far as I got. I'll continue the hunt today and tomorrow - if anyone has any hints, gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Rob,

I've got a lot of DRIVER STATE BLUE SCREENS on a regular basis lately with win10 64 bit after applying the latest big patch ("creators update"?)

Solution was - as hard as it is - to reinstall the OS completely new.

I made that switch when P3D v4 was released, so it was a all over clean start from the beginning.

But that was just my experience and as you say also, I have had the blue screens regularly with always the DRIVER STATE. It isn't for sure, that it will help in your case also ...

Good luck!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@guenseli: Did you manage to get rid of this issue by doing a full reinstall of OS and P3DV4 ?

It is something I have in mind as I'm keeping an eye on hardware at the moment and am looking at an full upgrade soon - currently on i7 4770K and 2 x 780Ti in SLI. That said, I'd like to hold off for a bit (a) to see what happens with the new -X CPUs from intel and how the Threadripper settles (b) to complete some building work we're doing at home (New study/flight sim room :cool:) and just need to make sure I'm not faced with a cost blow out on that. Would be good to know there is an "ultimate" fix if required though.

You don't happen to use a Saitek X52 do you ? Anything else "different" plugged in by USB ?

Cheers,

Rob

Yes, I did get rid of it.

And yes, I do also use a X52 ... I "converted" it into a switch panel beside a Bodnar module. But I hate that X52 because it is not running well under Win10 (disconnects). Hope to get rid of it one day.

But I really have no clue if the X52 was the reason for the DRIVER STATE FAILURES. I have many things connected here: printer, Network card, several joysticks, MCP Combo, Saitek Switch Panel, 3 screens etc.

Or even the internal parts in my PC ... front USB hub

Glad it is working now and hope you get it sorted, too.

No promises from my side ;)

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

@guenseli Thanks and understood - realise there could be multiple sources for this (Just interesting that we both have the same X52 that I'm a little suspicious of).

Not much progress from a day of probing, rebotting etc yesterday. I've noticed this moring though that I'm getting the "DriverFrameworks-UserMode" error as soon as I boot up - i.e. it isn't causing the crash at the time of the crash but is causing a critical error early on. I'll try hunting in this direction for a dit before I go back to trying to find out what is happening at the pointof CTD.

Needle in a haystack anyone ?:blink:

Rob