Sign in to follow this  
Guest franksalot

Aircraft stopped locking on to the Localiser?

Guest franksalot

My aircraft have suddenly stopped locking on to the Localiser, this happened a couple of days ago. I am unable to find a reason for this - it happens with the default aircraft as well as add-ons. if we take the PMDG B737NG-800 as an example (not a PMDG problem), the aircraft will follow the flight plan perfectly - up to the point where it should lockon to the Loc 'beam', but it just flies on - I then intervene and bring the aircraft back on course; at the appropriate time the GS locks on and the aircraft will 'fly the GS normally. I have no idea what is causing this problem.Just before I started having this problem I began using Squawkbox 3 (online flying); it's possible SB could have interferred with my Radio frequencies, though unlikely. The problem occurs when I'm offline as well. I would appreciate any advice on how to cure this problem.KenSomerset, England

Try loading the default Cessna 172 first, and make sure that the avionics switch is on and the GPS/NAV switch is in NAV.The GPS/NAV switch setting will carry over from one flight to the next via the last.flt file, and if it's set to GPS, lots of unhappy things are possible with radio navigation.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest franksalot

Hi Bob, thanks for your quick reply. I'm afraid that wasn't the problem, just to be sure I tried a landing at O'Hare with the Cessna 172 but she just floated by the rwy. I do start fs9 with the default scene as a matter of habit; when I first took delivery of the PSS Airbus Series in May 2002; the Manual required the the fs9 default scenery be started before the Airbus - PMDG say exactly the same with their B737NG series. But it was worth a go anyway.Ken

Odd.Look in your "Flight Simulator Files" folder, normally in:C:Documents and SettingsXXXXMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesWhere "XXXX" would be your user name on that PCLook for file "Previous flight.FLT"In the file there should be a section in square brackets titled "Avionics" (without the quotes but between brackets)You should have 2 lines there:LocalizerSelect=Auto SelectDMESelect=1CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest franksalot

Hello Bob,Maybe the English version of FS is slightly different to yours. In the FS folder the 'Previous Flight.FLT' is just the previous flight i.e click on it and it will open the scene where you last left it - no text at all. I checked my fs9.cfg file, there was no mention of Avionics at all; so I added the lines you gave me, lo and behold the Localiser worked fine :), so I'm back in business - with the added advantage that if I hit the same problem again I can sort it. Terrific job, much appreciated.Ken

Ken;Good deal. It does cause me to wonder how that got changed...are you loading a default airplane at the beginning using a saved default flight, perhaps? If so, the problem may be in that .flt file as well. Probably a good idea to use the create a flight menu to create a new default flight with a default plane at a default airport and save it.If you right-click on a .flt file you should be able to use "Open With" and open it with notepad. Usually those files are associated with FS9, so a double click starts FS and loads that saved flight.Anyway, glad you're back up and running.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. In the flight files I found this--36 FSR-- and that contains the Avionics info which can be read in Notepad.Andy

Guest franksalot

Hi Bob, well, this thread has opened a 'can of worms' :) - yes, I was using the default Cessna 172 with a saved flight based at Meigs Airport (this was the default flight in FS2002), I like to use Meigs to 'let my hair down' and dodge in/out of the skyscrapers now and then, as a break from the disciplined flying I usually do for my VA. So, I loaded up the default Seattle Tacoma KSEA flight - then closed it down - went to My Docs/Flight Simulator/Previous Flight.FLT/ right clicked/Open with there was all the text you mentioned, together with the Avionics section all complete.A very interesting and informative exercise, just shows how easy it is to get 'led astray' when you think you're doing a good job :). Well done Bob.Ken