Sign in to follow this  
beechcaptain

How much more does V4 tax your system compared to V3.4

I'm considering purchasing P3Dv4 but am curious how much more it will tax my system than v3.4 does.  I have a mid level pc, windows 10, GTX 750ti 4gb vram, 16gb ram.  With most sliders mid high right, I get 16-30 fps with PMDG NGX, FSDT, IS KATL, Ultimate Traffic 2+Tootings Super Duper UT2/WOAI traffic.  If there is a bigger hit by V4, I guess I'll have to wait until an eventual PC upgrade.

Those that have upgraded from V3.4, can you enlighten me on your observations between the two?

Thanks.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

8 minutes ago, beechcaptain said:

I'm considering purchasing P3Dv4 but am curious how much more it will tax my system than v3.4 does.  I have a mid level pc, windows 10, GTX 750ti 4gb vram, 16gb ram.  With most sliders mid high right, I get 16-30 fps with PMDG NGX, FSDT, IS KATL, Ultimate Traffic 2+Tootings Super Duper UT2/WOAI traffic.  If there is a bigger hit by V4, I guess I'll have to wait until an eventual PC upgrade.

Those that have upgraded from V3.4, can you enlighten me on your observations between the two?

Thanks.

CPU and RAM is getting heavily taxed. My CPU temps are hitting a max above 90 degree celsius OCCASSIONALLY. It fluctuates between 70 and 80's. H110GTX water cooler is having a hard job. My PC is standing on 3rd floor. Today here it has an ambient temp. of 30 degrees or a bit more, so yes. The temps of my CPU are quite high.

I have:

P3D V4

Ultimate Traffic Live

PMDG (all of them)

AS2016

ASCA

ORBX

Flytampa airports.

config:

i7 6700K @ 4,6 ghz

32GB DDR4 RAM @ XMP 3000mhz

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard

GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti 6GB GDDR5

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Worry not, my system is way older than yours and P3D V4.0 runs smoothly. Vastly improved over FSX on my system.

My spec currently: i7 930, 6GB RAM, Geforce GTX 750Ti. I run most sliders towards either full right or at least high with MSAA 4x and Anisotropic 16x. I see 30-40fps most of the time, no stuttering whatsoever.

I will be upgrading this PC in the very near future however I am truly amazed how nicely P3D performs on essentially an 6-7 year old PC (aside from the graphics card which I got about 1.5 years ago as a quick replacement for a dead card).

I can't comment on V3.4 beyond the impression that V4.0 will run at least as well on your system as V3.4 according to most reports.

• Upvote 1

All I can say it runs smoother and no OOM.   Taxing your system is dependent on how far right you push you sliders, and where you are flying if you fly in NYC or West Coast with all Orbx then take a step down.  I have mine at one tick from the right and I get 19-20FPS FSDreamteaM JFK.  My video card does not get too hot or my CPU.  However, I have a two year old system I6700K 32MB Ram and a new GSX 1080I video card.

I notice my CPU may run about 10-20% higher loading (i7-6700K 4.7 OC) but is generally less than 75% loaded.  My GPU runs about the same loading (15%) and VRAM usage (2GB) while in cruise, and at a complex airport I'll see use with my GTX980Ti run up to maybe 30% GPU and 4 GB VRAM.  I'm sure the major bottleneck remains how effective multi-threading is employed.  I don't see any reason for moderate system to be fully capable of handling P3Dv4.  Just make sure you exceed the minimum system recommendations given at the LM web site.

Dan Downs KCRP

It matters as much as you want to tax the system. You can fine grain that in the settings. If you increase texture resolution etc. In other words, it is way more flexible that the 32 bit cousin and it will allow you to grow exponentially from your basic system to increasing the settings when you can.I don't think there is really any real choice frankly. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

i have been flying now for the last 6 hours between 7 major airports in europe, not one oom, smooth as silk with pta and orbx europe lc, england region , eddm eham egkk lfpg etc.

all i can say WOW

• Upvote 2

and by the way the simulator was not restarted once WOW

All  other things being constant, P3Dv4 taxes less on the system than P3Dv3

Moving from v3 to  v4 I feel my 4.5Ghz Intell went forward by 6 years in technology.  What I used to get 15FPS is now at 25-30FPS/. 

You may want to get a 1070GTX or better video card though.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Low usage does not necessarily mean poor use of the hardware. It could also mean that one's IQ settings are lower than what the hardware is capable of providing. P3d V4 and XP11 tax my system at about the same level for similar IQ settings. That means that my GTX 1080 runs between 70 and 90 % and my CPU (i7-6700) runs between 30 and 100% with the high values spread out evenly across all cores when a scenery load occurs.

This is some really great information.  Looks like I'm going to take the plunge.  Going to do some reading and re-reading on all the tips for installing and addons.

Thanks to all who provided input.

Cheers!

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

1 hour ago, beechcaptain said:

This is some really great information.  Looks like I'm going to take the plunge.  Going to do some reading and re-reading on all the tips for installing and addons.

Thanks to all who provided input.

Cheers!

Good luck Glen... What started with FSX, it went to P3Dv2.x and then 3.xs..all stepping stone to now v4... The complete Sim. (Yes, we would get micro updates  I am sure). But this is what I can now safely call a complete Sim.  LM has done us good! 

And almost all your FSX to prior P3D  sceneries pretty much works in v4. Many of the aircraft of P3d too works here. Not as upward mobile as the sceneries... 

I have never transitioned to a new sim as fast I have for v4.  I thought the transition from v3 to v4 woiuld take 6 months to year..Golly, it's been just 2 weeks and I have stopped flying the V3. :)

The only minor stuff left for to move v4 is the Pollypot software driver for my Go Flight MCP/EFIS , VAInterface for the PMDG FMS on my Samsung Tablet and SweetFx. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The autogen draw distance slider has been killing me. As much as I wanted to get rid of that short draw distance prior to P3Dv4, I've found that having it higher than "high" will melt my CPU. I've now abandoned HT off and am running a 6700K @ 4.7Ghz with 3333Mhz RAM (CAS14) and my system is still being punished. Almost to the point where autogen is either popping bad or no where to be found if flying above 250 knots...

10 minutes ago, garrett_frank said:

The autogen draw distance slider has been killing me. As much as I wanted to get rid of that short draw distance prior to P3Dv4, I've found that having it higher than "high" will melt my CPU. I've now abandoned HT off and am running a 6700K @ 4.7Ghz with 3333Mhz RAM (CAS14) and my system is still being punished. Almost to the point where autogen is either popping bad or no where to be found if flying above 250 knots...

I`ve been fighting with this also.

I get extremely slow autogen loading with 4790k@4.7/1080gtx/16GBram

Terrain is nice and sharp, but autogen is missing, or the draw distance is very near and popping. 

Strange to see other having good performance while i struggle.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals