Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Prepar3d v3 v v4 wave/surf effect

See videos showing the same wave effect in both p3d3 and p3d4...

v3
https://youtu.be/7-DYkYDNtFE

v4
https://youtu.be/bYi_7z-7O1c

Is anyone else see their surf effects vertical? You can see in the videos that in v3 its normal, just weird in v4...

This is Earth Simulation Scilly Isles. The scenery contains not custom effects for waves/surf, so I'm assuming the effects seen here are default.

Thanks K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

It turned vertical for me when I tried replacing the V4 stock files with some I modified in V3. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Yeah, Ive seen that Vertical surf effect in V4 in default scenery. Cant remember exactly where though.

Wierd, I checked the v3 and v4 effect files and they are identical..

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

xaP1VAU.png

Yep, the texture and fx files haven't changed between the two versions, unless I'm not looking carefully enough at them. They both play the same in fxeditor.

I flipped them using the tool outlined on the other thread, and all is back to normal. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

3 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I flipped them using the tool outlined on the other thread, and all is back to normal. 

Thanks , is it definitely the same issue? the other thread didnt seem to describe the same effect seen in my v4 video to me?

xaP1VAU.png

Yes I noticed that the white surf was running in front of the wave in V4 whereas it is behind the wave in V3.

IM

49 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Thanks , is it definitely the same issue? the other thread didnt seem to describe the same effect seen in my v4 video to me?

No different issue really.
The problem here seems to be the waves are a lot bigger in V4 than V3 and in that small coastal bay they seem to be totally confused as to which direction the shoreline is.
I guess on a longer coastal shore they approach the shore correctly for you??

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Ive tried flipping the texture files fx_swoosh anf fx_swoosh2
Heres another video after that.

You can clearly see that the surf texture effect is vertical out of the water instead of horizontal on top of it.

xaP1VAU.png

I have identified the problem and fixed it now.

I've narrowed this down to an add-on effect as default effects in default scenery work fine.

Trial and error shows the source was an add-on effect introduced by Earth Simulations Autogenesis 6_1 scenery.

It's fixed by adding Ground Decal=1 to the particle sections of the following effects added by that scenery:

ES-Largewaves.fx

fx_PilingWaves.fx

Waves are now all where they should be!  Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png