Sign in to follow this  
pete_agreatguy

Active Sky Evolution (aes) for FS9

Is it cheaper anywhere else as I can only find it on SimMarket at the moment :(

I need to upgrade as had enough of ActiveSky v6.5 not updating properly.

Thanks

First, it is ASE. AES is Aerosoft's Airport Enhancement Product.

I do recall an AS65 patch a long time ago that changed the server location. Unfortunately I do not have a running version installed so I went with ASE. I could not directly use the AS65 graphics (which I still have) but got from support a path modification to have the AS65 graphics available in ASE. It has to do with the user files location in the user roaming folders. ASE comes with notes on how to use with REX graphics if you wish.

I have never seen the hi-fi sim packages elsewhere other than simmarket.

For future possibilities product service packs have links in a simmarket order history for each product on your account. I have acquired several products through simmarket without any problem. Be sure you backup the download and record the product key delivered in the invoice and you can avoid the download insurance fee if you need it again.

• Upvote 1

Me and my mate have only just realised that REX has it's own weather engine for realistic weather. We're going to give it a try before deciding whether or not to upgrade to the ASE. From what I can tell so far, it is up to date and providing what we want :)

I don't recall a server update :/ but it certainly has not been providing the correct weather for some time.

Thanks for correcting me, it was a typo (I'm dyslexic).

I find ASE to be a great fs9 enhancement, but I use the REX textures with it.  REX's weather engine is not as accurate as ASE's, but the REX textures are far more advanced.  I live near an airport and I can load the airport weather conditions through fs9 and they will appear on the sim exactly as they are through my  office window.  REX's airport textures such as runways are really good, so I just load all the REX weather and airport textures into FS9 and then they remain there as long as desired.  When flying, REX isn't even running.  I load AES and it has a link to the fs9 exe.  It works unfailingly.

I have used ASE with both FS9 and FSX since it came out.  That's what I like about it, it's multi-platform, a rarity in today's flight-sim world.  Like Forkedtail I also use REX textures and the display of weather on my sim is stunning.  I never fly without it...and that has led to some very dicey backcountry Idaho airstrip landings.  It does mountain weather flawlessly.

Randy

Thanks for the input so far all.

RE: REX Weather Engine ...

Doing a flight from EGLL to OMDB at cruise now (FL390). I've nearly stalled twice now due to the wind changing suddenly. Due to this, I've turned off REX Weather engine and am using the default Jeppesen engine instead.

Is there any settings that may cause this in the REX config manager or weather options?

RE: FS Global Real Weather; too expensive for my liking with ASE being a good £10 cheaper. So if I were to upgrade; I'd get the Evolution :)

ASE has weather smoothing available. For FS9 it is available through FSUIPC and I believe it has a function also for the FSX/P3D variety.

As usual, when you get ASE it enables weather functions in the FSUIPC versions.

While the ASE interface gets getting used to, it is all there. Is there any smoothing function in the REX weather setup?

You may experience such turbulence and shifting especially if you are flying through the jet stream as you cross it borders.

Does the default Jeppesen engine interpolate for missing weather stations? Is it even up-to-date these days? ASE does via its server reporting as I recall.

I just fired up ASE in FSX mode and in options there are maximums under wind control for shear, turbulence, etc, and in general options under FSX Specific you have dynamic rate of change. There is also a table for the list of monitored weather reporting points.

17 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

Thanks for the input so far all.

RE: REX Weather Engine ...

Doing a flight from EGLL to OMDB at cruise now (FL390). I've nearly stalled twice now due to the wind changing suddenly. Due to this, I've turned off REX Weather engine and am using the default Jeppesen engine instead.

Is there any settings that may cause this in the REX config manager or weather options?

RE: FS Global Real Weather; too expensive for my liking with ASE being a good £10 cheaper. So if I were to upgrade; I'd get the Evolution :)

I used REX for a while but found some issues which were difficult to pin down similar to what you describe (except it was sudden falsely low speed readings rather than actual stalls) and also the cloud coverage seemed meagre compared with previous experience - nice if you want a good view but not realistic in my opinion.

So I invested in ASE too. Both are an expensive overkill for the simple need of current weather if you don't want to play with the other features and I do have reservations about this purchase given the silent withdrawal of real weather from AS6 - they could do the same for ASE tomorrow if they chose.

Whilst researching options I read that the FS default weather no longer works as it should. I'm not sure if that is correct or not but certainly some tests I did produced completely different weather to REX.

I am happy with ASE for now but I have a distinct feeling that those of us who choose to stay in the dark ages with FS2004 (for whatever reason) will sooner or later be forced to live without current weather or move on.

Best regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

2 hours ago, John Hinson said:

I am happy with ASE for now but I have a distinct feeling that those of us who choose to stay in the dark ages with FS2004 (for whatever reason) will sooner or later be forced to live without current weather or move on.

Absolutely correct. If you look at HiFi's site there are no FS9 products still on sale. ASE does provide FSX support as well as FS9 support, so I expect it will be around for a while yet, even though no longer on sale by the developers.

DJ

5 hours ago, John Hinson said:

Whilst researching options I read that the FS default weather no longer works as it should. I'm not sure if that is correct or not but certainly some tests I did produced completely different weather to REX.

One suggestion I read which seems plausible is to clear your Internet Explorer cache (launch IE, press Ctrl+F5) before using FS built-in real weather. FS uses the IE connections to access the web and your previous sessions weather data can be stored in the IE cache for days until the cache is cleared again.

That's an interesting thought. Hadn't tried that but will certainly bear that in mind for the day when that is the only choice. I guess turning off the IE caching altogether would be a good solution for those like me that never use it.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Back when FS2004 was popular did anyone use HIFI SIM - ACTIVESKY EVOLUTION? What were your thoughts on it? Did it give you live current weather? Thanks.

I've been using it since it launched exclusively for FS9. Overall, I like the program over using Rex Weather. I use Rex clouds with ASE. There is a lot of customization you can do with ASE to have it to your liking.

My issues with ASE are you can be on takeoff roll in rain. Halfway down the runway the rain stops. Then its starts raining again at rotation. This only happens sporadically. Another issue I have is you can be climbing out and have no clouds above you with sun but still have rain. The  last issue is I live not far from our airport. The weather will be different from what we are experiencing. The runways will also be different for traffic than what is happening in real time.