Sign in to follow this  
pete_agreatguy

Active Sky Evolution (aes) for FS9

I've been using ASE since the year it was launched. I used Active Sky 6.5 for years but before buying ASE I decided to try REX.  I wasn't too impressed with the REX weather engine and the clouds looked to me like pasted decals.  Of course, that is strictly my impression because REX certainly is popular and has many big fans out there.  I use Flight Environment clouds with my ASE.   I have experienced the sporadic ASE weather depictions described by "Cam's dad 13" but for the most part I've not had any significant issues.  I find that ASE is even better when used with FE9 and the suggested FSUIP settings.  I highly recommend FE9.  The sky textures and horizon blending are fantastic.   I would welcome any commentary on the payware version, which is called ENVTEX.  I am not sure if it does anything more than the freeware version for FS9 (looks like its target audience is FSX and P3D) but if it does I would buy it.

Greg

Hi all,

I've managed to sort the issues out that I was having with the REX weather engine.

Within the main REX (FS2004) interface, under "Configuration Manager", at step 3 have the following settings:

- Enable Auto launch REX weather engine = ticked
- Eable auto launch FS = unticked
- Minimise REX when FS starts = ticked
- Enable Metar Real Visibility = ticked
- Enable VATSIM weather = ticked
* Enabled realistic storm wind shear and updrafts
* Enable realistic icing effects
- Enable TStorm dominance when CB reported in Metar = ticked

Those that are marked with a * were the settings causing my stalling issues at high altitudes. With these settings turned off, the REX weather engine works just as good as Active Sky 6.5 now and I am getting the correct up to date weather (within a period of 15 mins depending on server updates).

Hope this of help to others :)

To get REX weather engine working with FS2004 (FS9):

1) Do not load FS yet. Disable any background processes not required (to boost available resources).

2) Open the REX weather engine from your start menu or desktop shortcut (run as admin is recommended).

3) Load FS and load your flight so you are parked at the gate/stand. Do not start any checklist yet.

4) Within the REX weather engine window (press Alt + Tab until you reach this window), click on "Load WX" and then "Minimise" :)

5) Alt + Tab back into FS and the rex engine should update the weather (you'll see scrolling text informing you).

6) Fly :)

Feel free to load the main interface to get up to date weather metar data for a specific airport (main interface > weather [select real time weather] > enter the icao code and click submit).

I've been using ASE and it's the only weather add-on that provided realistic weather so far- including smooth weather changes, gradual visibility transitions and horizon fading which are important to me. Haven't had any issues with it so far. I'm using it with my own clouds and changing sky sets (REX, FE9 and others) depending what mood I'm in. It performs very well with all of them!

Just for clarity, this is my understanding of using REX textures with ASE's weather engine:

Start with just REX loaded.  Pick the sky, water, and airport surface textures that you desire and load those with fs9 as the target.  Those textures become the default textures until the time you want to change them in the future.  Turn off REX.  Start ASE and let it load until you get indication that it is OK to start fs9.  ASE is now in control of depicting the weather conditions at the airport you have selected.  On my system it takes a couple of minutes for that weather to be depicted, especially the more complex clouds.

The REX weather engine is faster, but not nearly as realistic at depicting the current weather, even though the texture sets are the same ones currently loaded into fs9.  Sorry to bore you with this weather-101 post.

Page 30 in the documentation starts the description of using external graphics libraries. Previous pages have the various settings to adjust where certain aircraft models are too sensitive to turbulence..

I'm pretty sure when you get the sudden speed loss it's due to ICE not stall.  Next time it happens just look at GPS ground speed you are still at the accurate speed.  You may have to fly manual throttles for a min or so.  Make sure your ice equipment is on.  This was the same condition that brought down 2 Airbus's in the past.

I used AS 6.5 or Default WX before the ended.  I'm using REX real WX....Just a note I get my wx from AOPA then REX down load and seems to be spot on with conditions of real world. 

Check this topic, just in case, it fixed some stall issues i had with certain addon airplanes: