Sign in to follow this  
RogerA

Could Dx10 prevent a new cfg

I decided for the first time in a year or two to let FsX create a new cfg as I was having slow loading time issue. So having removed the cfg and starting FsX I immediately get a fatal error message. Could this possibly be a Dx10 issue? 

The same thing happened to me and I was in a panic. Do you have Steves dx10 fixer with the cloud shadows add on installed?  I uninstalled the cloud addon and fsx was finally able to rebuild the cfg. 

Wow.  What a coincidence.  I too was trying to have FSX create a new CFG file this weekend and kept getting the same results.

Thanks for posting this thread (and the subsequent posters with your helpful posts!)

Alexander Alonso

Yep, me too.  It was about the time ver3.3 of the Fixer was released a couple weeks ago and I had decided to delete and replace my year old FSX.cfg.  Got a fatal error upon starting FSX and then checked Windows Event Viewer to see the cause was listed as the DX10 Fixer.  Quickly saved my current profile in the Fixer, deleted it, then installed the new 3.3.  All was well then.

Greg

I have reproduced this, but  its a mystery as fsx.cfg isn't accessed by the run time, so I cannot see why it causes an issue (yet).  

The simple solution should you delete fsx.cfg is to go into the addons menu, untick Cloud Shadows, run fsx to create a fsx.cfg then go back into the addons menu and retick Clouds Shadows.

As long as there's a fix (thanks MrSpeaker) it doesn't matter Steve. Your work to create cloud shadows in FsX Dx10 is worth it.

56 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

The simple solution should you delete fsx.cfg is to go into the addons menu, untick Cloud Shadows, run fsx to create a fsx.cfg then go back into the addons menu and retick Clouds Shadows.

Just tried this and it works fine... fast and easy.  Thanks!

Greg

Investigating this, the problem is not directly to do with  not having fsx.cfg.    Rather its to do with not having the line SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10  in the graphics section of fsx.cfg

So if cloud shadows is enabled  AND there is no SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10 line in fsx.cfg then it crashes regardless of whether it is running in DX9 or DX10

Deleting fsx.cfg achieves this, but so does simply removing the line from fsx.cfg

What I don't have is any understanding why this causes an issue!