Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

Dynamics lighting brought my GTX 1080 to its knee

Running at 3 x 1080 screen, at daylight, I can achieve 40 + fps, but at night with dynamics lighting, it drops to 8~10 fps. If I turn off dynamic lighting, FPS back to 30s at night. Anyone has the same issue? That makes me thinking moving to 1080 TI if that ever helps. 

Danny F

A 1080Ti is about 30% faster than your 1080. Now you could do the maths yourself: if you have 10FPS using a 1080, you would get 13FPS using a 1080Ti. Worth the upgrade? I guess no...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

23 minutes ago, FlyCathay said:

Running at 3 x 1080 screen, at daylight, I can achieve 40 + fps, but at night with dynamics lighting, it drops to 8~10 fps. If I turn off dynamic lighting, FPS back to 30s at night. Anyone has the same issue? That makes me thinking moving to 1080 TI if that ever helps. 

Try wih MSAA instead of SSAA

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

58 minutes ago, FlyCathay said:

Hi, i'm also running three screens and therefore are interested in your other settings, do you mind to share them?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

41 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Try wih MSAA instead of SSAA

Michael Moe

My experience with MSAA in the night is that the lights that are far away have a really bad shimmering effect that only goes away with 8xSSAA.

Not even 4k resolution can solve this with anything less than 8xSSAA. :(

4 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

My experience with MSAA in the night is that the lights that are far away have a really bad shimmering effect

Actually, shimmering of lights in the far distance during night is quiet realistic, no? ;-)

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just now, AnkH said:

Actually, shimmering of lights in the far distance during night is quiet realistic, no? ;-)

It is, but not the way it happens in P3D. :) Wish I could explain it better, maybe have a test and see for yourself if you think it's realistic or not.

IMO definitely not. :)

• Upvote 1

Wht add ons are you using with dynamic lights? They have to be placed by a developer of an addon so finding out which addon it is would be the next step. Aircraft or scenery 

Let's hope that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting.

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Hi there,

unfortunately i didnt have have much time with v4. I tried it with the usual heavy add ons like PMDG T7 with FSDT KSFOHD, KIAH, Flightbeam KIAD+MT6@10% with FSUIPC5 controlling the amount of AI and AS16 + Chaseplane (will try EZDOK soon). In daylight conditions i rarely drop below 30 FPS @night i didnt do a flight neither did a flight in daylight with DL enabled.  I only tried it at some random gate @ KSFOHD i switched on the landing lights of the T7 and saw no drop in FPS when having dynamic lighting on. I tried it with and without DL no major change in FPS. With DL the gate and the building got all lit up.

My system Win7 64 Pro i7 5820k oc´ed@4.5GHz 16GB GSkill Rip Jaws @3000MHz RAM ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Advanced runing the second latest driver P3D4 on a dedicated 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD. I did not push the sim to its limits i dont see any reason to throttle up every slider to the right. Autogen draw distance is @ medium Autogen buildings @ very dense Water is @ the highest AI @10% Autogen trees are @ dense. Everything receives shadows despite aircraft and clouds cast shadows. My cfg contains only a jobscheduler @340 and the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP which is set to 9 (tiles drawn @512) 10 got me major stutters. Maybe i run into the same FPS loss when flying around. 

Hope that helps. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mickeyj said:

Everything receives shadows despite aircraft and clouds cast shadows.

Well, then you have basically the only two options deactivated that really make an optical difference between P3D and FSX. What is your FPS aim? 60 FPS? Otherwise I do not get how you limit your settings that much with such a capable system as a basis...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

26 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Well, then you have basically the only two options deactivated that really make an optical difference between P3D and FSX. What is your FPS aim? 60 FPS? Otherwise I do not get how you limit your settings that much with such a capable system as a basis...

As i flew around KSFOHD without DL and the city + airport in view the FPS hovered around 29-36 with no airport and city inside 40 FPS.

DL was only tested on ground @ KSFOHD in the T7 at a gate FPS were around 30-32. I didnt try more shadow options ATM but will do that as soon as i get the time to do so. In v3 i had autogen building shadows enabled when flying low performance add ons like MilViz and Cerasim choppers and some GA aircraft. I´ve also seen performance differences between UT2 and MT6 in v3 and v4. UT2 performed little better in v3 than MT6 where as MT6 performs better in v4. AI in v4 is the same as in v3 on my system which is 10%. Unfortunately i cant recall my FSUIPC5 settings despite i limited the FPS to 30 and the AI to 30.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Let's hope that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting.

You'd think that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting performance as LR has supurb Dynamic Lighting in X-plane11, I love both simulators, however I still favour P3d if I had to choose at the moment.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Use 8XMSAA until someone improves performance. I also used the same settings in NI and it reduced the shimmering a lot, while still maintaining great FPS and smoothness

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Hello!

Your 3 monitor's destroy your GPU. Buy a new GTX 1080 and use SLI Bridge. Use a very Strong CPU! That's recommended! For Example: I7 7700k or I7 6700k. Both are good for it. 2 GTX 1080 outperform your Ti! If you want to use continuously 3 monitor's this will helps. BUT if you want to use 1 monitor: Your FPS will be 100 at night.