Hi

Further to my previous thread I have now decided to move to P3D V4 from FSX.

As my old FSX PC has been claimed by my son I have also decided to build my own PC solely for P3D use.

I have never built a PC before and looked at pre built ones but decided to try and build my own, both as a fun project and so I would know exactly what went in and could upgrade as I go if/when I need to.

I have also read a lot that P3D is more reliant on processor rather than graphics card so thought I would spend on that and save on on the graphics card, this can always be upgraded easily later if need be. 

As a result I will be getting delivered tomorrow:

Intel 7th Generation Core i7 (7700K) 4.2GHz

Asus RoG Strix Z270F Gaming Intel LGA1151 Z270 Motherboard

NZXT Kraken X52 (240mm) AIO CPU Water Cooling Unit

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC4-22400 3200MHz DDR4 DIMM

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB Graphics Card

Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E500B (500GB) Solid State Drive 

Seagate BarraCuda (2TB) 3.5 inch Hard Disk Drive

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower ATX Case

Corsair RM850x RMx Series 850 Watt Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

Hopefully this will run P3D well and go together ok. I look forward to building it and seeing what it can do.

Any comments on setup and P3D tweaks appreciated

Regards

20 minutes ago, felixflyer said:

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB Graphics Card

The GPU is not a good match for an 7700K , it's also not really powerful enough for  P3Dv4.

Everything else is great

Your specs almost mirror the system I just built except the GPU. I retained my GTX980ti which works great for all my sims.

I would suggest you consider the 1070 at the least. Other than that, looks pretty good.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

The GPU was the compromise in order to get the processor/MB and cooling setup I wanted. I can see this getting upgraded in the future and the 1050 going to my son but it seemd the easiest thing to change later without affecting anything else.

Hopefully it won't cause too much of an issue.

You could look at using an air cooler for the time being to and put the difference between AIO and air cooler towards a better graphics card. I am using a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 which is a fairly basic air cooler and my 7700k at 4.6ghz (no hyperthreading) is around 70C at most. Then when funds permit you could look at getting a better cooler if you think it is needed.

I am using a 1070 and like others have said I would probably consider this as a minimum for P3D V4.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Agreed on the vid card, go for GTX 1070 or higher with >6gb VRAM.  You'll appreciate the extra VRAM in addition to the speed.  I also agree with Johnnycrockett - I use air cooling on my 7700k @ 4.7 with temps below 80oC under full load.

One other tip - try https://pcpartpicker.com/ to create your build and do some price comparisons.  I found it very helpful.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Thanks guys, I know the card is the weak spot but I will wait for the price of the 1080's to come down.

The main thing for me was building a decent base with a good CPU and plenty of power and cooling. 

All the parts arrived yesterday and I started the build, that case is huge!

I will update when it is working and maybe put a video on youtube showing how it runs.

What is generally considered the best software for monitoring and testing settings in a new system?

A 1050 Ti is a very weak card.  You're going to be very disappointed if you build with this.  It's like buying a Ferrari and driving around on spare tires.  It's too bad you ordered all the parts already.  Are you able to return some of them and re-order different parts to afford a better video card?  I would start with the case and power supply.  You don't need anywhere near 850W, especially not with a 1050 Ti.  You wouldn't need that much power supply with 2x 1080 Ti even!  There are lots of nice cases for well under $100 now, and a a good name brand 600W or so PSU will be more than adequate, even if you step up to say a GTX 1070 which is the sweet spot right now and really the card you ought to go after.