Sign in to follow this  
Tony747-400

P3d V4 Dynamic Lighting Issue Poss Bug

Hi

I seem to have an issue with the Dynamic Lighting in my 777, Firstly I know its a FPS killer and my system (i5 3570K OC 4.2ghz, GTX1050ti GPU,8GB RAM) really cant handle it and reduces my FPS from a steady locked 30 to single figures.

I have switched DL off in the sim which is a huge disappointment as I now have no Taxi lights or RWY Turn Off Light and totally ruins the immersion of flying at night.

Now the DL is switched off in the Sim  all ok with FPS but when I turn on any Taxi lights, RWY Turn Off Lights  etc within the 777 cockpit, I'm still experiencing a huge drop in FPS and not even getting any Lighting on the ground.

Can anybody confirm they are seeing this too, and any suggestions how I can improve FPS with DL switched on in the Sim. I have adjusted lots of settings in the Graphics section but nothing seems to help.

Thanks

Hi,

Not the 777 but I think the problematic is the same:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I have a GTX980Ti and do not see any impact on performance with dynamic lighting.  Others report the same with a GTX970.  This begs the question why your GTX1050ti would event notice?? It's not how PMDG programmed the lighting, one has to suspect something in your configuration.  Just for grins, try a frame rate lock of 20.

There are many who do lock at 20 fps and set the display to 30 Hz refresh rate for amazing results.  I started doing this when I noticed specific cloud types (overcast for example) would kill my frame rate, even when locked at 30, and I discovered the impact disappeared when locked at 24 or less.  So instead of a frame rate dropping from 30 to 14 now it stays steady at 20 and I have smooth animation.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

I have a GTX980Ti and do not see any impact on performance with dynamic lighting.  Others report the same with a GTX970.  This begs the question why your GTX1050ti would event notice?? It's not how PMDG programmed the lighting, one has to suspect something in your configuration.  Just for grins, try a frame rate lock of 20.

There are many who do lock at 20 fps and set the display to 30 Hz refresh rate for amazing results.  I started doing this when I noticed specific cloud types (overcast for example) would kill my frame rate, even when locked at 30, and I discovered the impact disappeared when locked at 24 or less.  So instead of a frame rate dropping from 30 to 14 now it stays steady at 20 and I have smooth animation.

Thanks Dan

Yes it was a fault with my setup, seems my Graphics Driver was the culprit. I was using 382.33 and have now rolled back to 376.33 and pleased to say all is working well now and holding steady around 30FPS with  Dynamic lighting enabled. I will look into your suggestion  to lock my FPS to 20 and see if I get any improvement.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony747-400 said:

I was using 382.33 and have now rolled back to 376.33

Many will thank you for reporting that! Glad you found the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

20 hours ago, Tony747-400 said:

Thanks Dan

Yes it was a fault with my setup, seems my Graphics Driver was the culprit. I was using 382.33 and have now rolled back to 376.33 and pleased to say all is working well now and holding steady around 30FPS with  Dynamic lighting enabled. I will look into your suggestion  to lock my FPS to 20 and see if I get any improvement.

I used to get 7 to 11 FPS with dynamic lighting enabled at night over the city. I did the opposite, installed the newest driver (382.53) and am getting a minimum of 30 FPS with dynamic lighting enabled now.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I too am running the newest NVIDIA driver and have zero performance issues. I'm running 382.53.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I think it strongly depends which AA setting are used together with DL on. 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA works good for me, but when it comes to SSAA, I can only use 2xSSA, higher settings results in massive fps drop. Unfortunately, with 4 or even 8xMSAA (HDR on) visuals are not so good (shimmering, flickering, whatever it is called).

GPU GTX1070 with 3440x1440 screen

Harry J. Martin

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

21 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I think it strongly depends which AA setting are used together with DL on. 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA works good for me, but when it comes to SSAA, I can only use 2xSSA, higher settings results in massive fps drop. Unfortunately, with 4 or even 8xMSAA (HDR on) visuals are not so good (shimmering, flickering, whatever it is called).

GPU GTX1070 with 3440x1440 screen

Harry J. Martin

Before I updated to the newest driver it made a massive difference what AA setting I used. Now it doesn't matter that much anymore, using 8xSSAA I lose 10 FPS but all lower settings are more or less fine.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I just got some information from one of our devs noting the following:

• LM asks that all add-on devs compile their projects through the v4 SDK if it is to be used in v4.
  • Related to this, if you are using something that is a simple port over - depends on the avenue the dev chose - the dynamic lighting can cause quite a frame hit: in testing, an older product not specifically v4 compliant had a large hit, while an ORBX v4 compliant airport had little to no impact. For the record, all of our items (models, etc.) went through the v4 SDK.
  • It seems (as others have noted here) that graphics drivers can have an incredibly large effect on this - some are reporting the latest version really helps, while others are reporting that rolling back has helped.

We're tracking all of this to see if we can find some common elements to help you all out.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I just got some information from one of our devs noting the following:

• LM asks that all add-on devs compile their projects through the v4 SDK if it is to be used in v4.
  • Related to this, if you are using something that is a simple port over - depends on the avenue the dev chose - the dynamic lighting can cause quite a frame hit: in testing, an older product not specifically v4 compliant had a large hit, while an ORBX v4 compliant airport had little to no impact. For the record, all of our items (models, etc.) went through the v4 SDK.
  • It seems (as others have noted here) that graphics drivers can have an incredibly large effect on this - some are reporting the latest version really helps, while others are reporting that rolling back has helped.

We're tracking all of this to see if we can find some common elements to help you all out.

Thank you.

For me, downgrading drivers did not help, but upgrading to the newest driver 382.53 made all the difference in the world on the 747, no frame drop at all with dynamic lighting enabled and all lights on, 8XSS enabled, 980GTX. Wow, good find, whoever discovered that.

Bill Barrette

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Haven't tried the 747 yet, but going to the latest drivers made the TFDi 717 flyable at night with the landing lights on!

I switched to 382.53 after reading this thread because I thought my 382.33 was causing this problem.  No difference.  Performance okay until I turn on the taxi or landing lights.  I guess something is wrong with the dynamic lighting.  I'm in the 777. 

John

7 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I switched to 382.53 after reading this thread because I thought my 382.33 was causing this problem.  No difference.  Performance okay until I turn on the taxi or landing lights.  I guess something is wrong with the dynamic lighting.  I'm in the 777. 

John

See the post two above yours. Dynamic lighting performance, as LM has set it up, is extremely dependent on your settings.

Kyle Rodgers