Sign in to follow this  
rheinis

For Once And For All...who wants to pay for a new PMDG MD-11?

MD-11 Poll  

575 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an MD-11?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, JYW said:

I think I'd rather see PMDG facing forward, to their exciting new, forthcoming projects.

...and TFDi to produce a MD-11, seeing as they now have a rather well functioning 717/MD-11 avionics deck*

*I know they're not the same - eg. overhead is very different, plus 3 engines :smile: .... but there are a number of assets that would be of use to them in a MD-11 development;  FCU is identical, FMGC is very similar, many EIS screens are similar, etc.

The similarities are superficial. The MD-11 is far more complex. All the overhead systems have automatic systems controllers to facilitate two crew operation.

Maybe TFDi could take it on but it's almost a start from scratch project.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Not going to happen. Best thing is to eventually purchase the X-Plane versions (two to choose from) when it's released.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

16 hours ago, vc10man said:

There is one from Just Flight, Alan, but I will agree with you on this one.

Yup, I have the JF one, and some of the expansions for it, and indeed the (very old) AeroSim Japan one too, and the JF is okay, quite good in many respects. But I'd love to see one done to the kind of level PMDG would do one.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If PMDG make one with the level like 747Q2 I will buy it. But I will not push them to do it. I have the old one but not installed.

Per W Sweden

Most defiantly, loved the MD11 back in the old days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kevinh said:

The similarities are superficial. The MD-11 is far more complex. All the overhead systems have automatic systems controllers to facilitate two crew operation.

Maybe TFDi could take it on but it's almost a start from scratch project.

The similarities may be superficial in the real aircraft... less so in the simulated world.  I did state clearly that the overheads were very different.   The point is that coding for aspects like the FCU modes could be used as a basis, with values adjusted for the performance differences between the aircraft.

Model and texture assets for Knobs, buttons, fuel control levers, etc, etc could all be utilized.   This was where I was coming from, rather than the fundamental vast differences between a small to medium twin-engined jet, and a huge three-pot. :smile:

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

9 hours ago, FSXtreme said:

I believe I would rather see PMDG do a full line of 787s and leave the MD11 for TFDi, if they are willing to do it.

Yearh, me too... 
We'll see how the QualityWings pans out, allthough I must admit, that I haven't gotten the highest confidence in them... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, JYW said:

The similarities may be superficial in the real aircraft... less so in the simulated world.  I did state clearly that the overheads were very different.   The point is that coding for aspects like the FCU modes could be used as a basis, with values adjusted for the performance differences between the aircraft.

Model and texture assets for Knobs, buttons, fuel control levers, etc, etc could all be utilized.   This was where I was coming from, rather than the fundamental vast differences between a small to medium twin-engined jet, and a huge three-pot. :smile:

All those things you mention could be common in the real aircraft too. Every little helps of course.

The deeper the simulation the more it must reflect the differences in the real aircraft. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yes.  I flew the -11 and may yet fly it again one day and appreciate the complexity of PMDG's model for FSX.  Just as I'm flying the 767 now and hope for an update from someone like LevelD to bring it into the 64-bit age.  These airframes aren't going away anytime soon and the fan base is enthusiastic.  Just my $0.02...

• Upvote 2

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

On 2017-6-13 at 8:58 PM, Captain Kevin said:

, I personally would not pay for an MD-11 as this is not an aircraft that interests me.

That's because you have never flown one.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Here we go...

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.