rheinis

For Once And For All...who wants to pay for a new PMDG MD-11?

MD-11 Poll  

571 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an MD-11?

• Yes
    • No

YES. I would be happy with the same aircraft still available for FSX.  If P3D, a bonus.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When the MD-11 was first released, I was nonplussed... why on earth did they make this ugly 3-holer?  But of course it was PMDG so I bought it, read the manuals, got intrigued, read everything I could find on this venerable aircraft, learned about The Douglas Way, and it quickly became my most favorite sim aircraft ever.

I would absolutely love to see the MD-11 come to p3d, but the world is turning and leaving it behind.  We should relish the time we already had but move on to the more modern offerings.  We are actually extremely lucky to have got the 744 now, because in perhaps 4 years there won't be any more passenger ops in the 747.  Even freight is quickly moving to 2 engine frames.  Aviation continues to evolve and as simmers so must we :)

1 hour ago, captain_adf said:

We are actually extremely lucky to have got the 744 now, because in perhaps 4 years there won't be any more passenger ops in the 747.

Nah carriers like BA are going to be using their 744s well past that, they're still running 41 744s in their fleet.

21 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Nah carriers like BA are going to be using their 744s well past that, they're still running 41 744s in their fleet.

Plus, they just recently equipped a few of them with new wifi-anetnnas.

Probably not.

This has nothing to do with PMDG but a lot with the MD-11 as such. I like it and would love to fly it. But I'd fly it only every now and then. Maybe less than 10 times a year and that's too little to rationalize the expense.

cu
Roman

Cant believe thread is still going! If only this sample voting was cast wider beyond avsim.  But reality is, this topic should be changed with PMDG omitted and asked if you just want MD-11 from XYZ developer.  PMDG have no interest in it period.  Put your hopes in TFDI otherwise it will have to be in xplane11

• Upvote 1

IMO a waste of time and resources.

I REALLY love the MD11 but let's face it, the real airplane is as good as 120 frames and not getting any younger. Over the next 5 years, cargo outfits would start replacing them with newer generation airplanes.

PMDG doesn't really release something without a previous important development process. How much did it take the 777X to be developed? The NGX? QOTSII??

Do we really want to have a MD11 V2, with development started today from scratch (because it will be from scratch), and released maybe in 2020?

I guess resources should be better invested elsewhere. Don't know where, but not in the MD11. As sad as it makes me be.

I was trying to forget her so one day I can finally get FSX uninstalled for good.

I know it's not in the PMDG DNA to do such things but I'd happily pay for an as-is port over to P3D. The MD-11 is such a masterpiece. I can't walk away from her.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bob34 said:

I know it's not in the PMDG DNA to do such things but I'd happily pay for an as-is port over to P3D. The MD-11 is such a masterpiece. I can't walk away from her.

As was pointed out, the MD-11 for FSX was already a port from FS9. Do you really believe a FS9 product could be ported to 64bit P3Dv4? 

30 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

As was pointed out, the MD-11 for FSX was already a port from FS9. Do you really believe a FS9 product could be ported to 64bit P3Dv4? 

Yes I do.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, bob34 said:

Yes I do.

So Microsoft Office XP should run on Windows 10 right? It's also 5 generation old software.

4 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

So Microsoft Office XP should run on Windows 10 right? It's also 5 generation old software.

I definitely support your point that the MD-11 at its current state is not very suitable to be ported to the P3Dv4 as the code is FS9-era. 

It's just funny that you chose the worst analogy possible as Windows is renowned for its backward compatibility. 

You can even run a 16-bit Windows 95 program on Windows 10 if you enable the correct Windows features :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hu_willy said:

I definitely support your point that the MD-11 at its current state is not very suitable to be ported to the P3Dv4 as the code is FS9-era. 

It's just funny that you chose the worst analogy possible as Windows is renowned for its backward compatibility. 

You can even run a 16-bit Windows 95 program on Windows 10 if you enable the correct Windows features :biggrin:

If PMDG made an MD-11 for P3Dv4, it could not simply be a port it would be a ground up build which is why I made my point.

True about microsoft, however Microsoft no longer supports office XP (on any operating system and definitely not Win 10), yet those requesting a port of the MD-11 will be wanting full PMDG support on any platform.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Chris. I get it. The MD-11 is old and perhaps it can't be converted easily. I also realize PMDG's standards for an ultra-high quality and comprehensive product wouldn't be met. Do I think it should be a major development effort and we go through he painful wait and previews and beta tests while the real aircraft slowly goes out of service? No.  But if they were willing to throw it out there, using code, conversions, or magic.. I'd take it without thinking twice. I'd be willing to pay and it would be one of my favorite aircraft in the hangar.
It's a solid aircraft and looks great for its age. (just like me). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hu_willy said:

Not however, on a 64-bit Windows 10, unless you also run a virtual machine on top of it with a 32bit version of Windows 10.

Once the CPU is switched to 64bit execution, it loses the ability to run applications in real mode. (Thus no DOS or Win16 apps)

Right after a 767, a 787, a 737 MAX, a ERJ, an E-Jet, maybe an A350 and a 797 (whatever that's going to be.

8 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

I run Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows 10 just fine.:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I run Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows 10 just fine.:biggrin:

Ah yes but if it goes wrong will Microsoft help you?

6 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Ah yes but if it goes wrong will Microsoft help you?

I assume they wouldn't, but I haven't reached that point, and hopefully I don't. In any event, I'd rather use that than their Microsoft Office 360. Then again, half the stuff on here, they likely won't support anyhow, so....

This thread is getting off topic.

Yes, I would buy a new MD-11 if it was ported or designed from the ground up for P3d V4. It is still my favorite airliner to this day!

I voted yes. But If we cannot have the MD-11 could we have a B707 instead? :)

Glen Hall