Sign in to follow this  
gingerterry

gtx 1070 upgrade

Hi all. its my birthday soon and as usual, I look to upgrade my rig at this time of year with the extra cash floating around in my slush fund. At the mo I have a i5 4690k paired with an MSI GTX 970 and 20gb RAM, and I am currently getting good results with V4 stock aircraft, and no extras other than photo scenery that I pretty much use all the time, that is apart from when I go off on one and buy loads of ORBX stuff when something catches my eye. 

Am I going to see any noticeable improvement by installing a GTX1070 into my rig? 

regards

I can't comment on the rest of your system, but I just got EVGA 1070 Superclocked 2 and it is running like a champ on my rig.

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

4 minutes ago, gingerterry said:

Hi all. its my birthday soon and as usual, I look to upgrade my rig at this time of year with the extra cash floating around in my slush fund. At the mo I have a i5 4690k paired with an MSI GTX 970 and 20gb RAM, and I am currently getting good results with V4 stock aircraft, and no extras other than photo scenery that I pretty much use all the time, that is apart from when I go off on one and buy loads of ORBX stuff when something catches my eye. 

Am I going to see any noticeable improvement by installing a GTX1070 into my rig? 

regards

Have u thought about upgrading your processor to a 7600K or 7700K? 

Matt Wilson

mpw8679, I'd imagine the limiting factor there would be the need for a new MB.

Overall, a 1070 looks pretty good.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you'll have any complaints with the GTX 1070.  My only wonder is if the i5-4690 will bottleneck the GTX?  But, that just a question, not a statement!  There are others on this forum that can speak to those issues better than I can.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gingerterry said:

regards

Yes !

Go to gpuboss.com and compare your cards 

I am also upgrading (more like replacing a dead gpu) to a GTX 1070. I am also running an i5 at 3.2 ghz but my old gpu was a GTX 650ti SC. 

So in my case I will most likely have to upgrade my cpu to get the most out of my new graphics card. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

I think his CPU should be OK.  It is basically a 4790K without hyperthreading (I think but I am not a computer person) and can be overclocked, if needed.  I just replaced my 970 with a 1070, mostly for the extra VRAM on the card.  32 GB RAM next and once all the things I want to use in v4 are available and stable, I will make the switch. 

• Upvote 2

Stephen Forsgren

many thanks, looks like time to start saving till the developers get on board with the upgrades. 

It's good to see if the upgrade from a GTX970 to the new 1070 gives you some improvements.

I have an I7-4770K with the GTX970 and I've noticed that compared to P3D V3, the textures seem to be loaded faster in P3D V4, so I stay with my present hardware conf.

Anyway let us know if you do the change :biggrin:

Regards, Max

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot

It will be noticable difference with 1070, but, currently I find that my 1080 is not enough, at 99% load mostly all day long in v4 and seriously looking for replacement with 1080Ti.... Ok I sit on 4k resolution, but switch from FHD to 4k saves me some perfromance as I was able to turn off SGSSAA

GTX1080Ti have performance over 70% higher than GTX1070.

2 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

GTX1080Ti have performance over 70% higher than GTX1070.

Well I personally can't spend $800 on a gpu...after buying it on Amazon and shipping it to where I live it will cost another $200-$300 dollars to get it in my hands(import duty, environmental taxes & VAT). In Eastern Caribbean dollars that's around $3000. Ah the joys of living in paradise.

I don't see myself switching to 4K anytime soon so a GTX 1070 will be more than adequate for my needs.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Two months ago I decided to switch on an ultrawide monitor instead of a 4K, because for flight simulation is another world!

I got a LG 34UM88 with a resolution of 3440x1440... it's not 4K but the quality is great, and it's less heavy on fps compared to a 4K (with my GTX970).

Regards, Max

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot