Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Need help with streaming P3D over OBS

I would like to stream my flights to YouTube, but I'm inexperienced in doing this and need some help. I am using the latest OBS software. I am running the sim in fullscreen at 4K and I would like to stream it to youtube at 1080p60. I can't seem to get the right settings for this to work, and I am not sure of what bit setting to use for video/audio. All I know is my internet upstream is about 11.3Mbps. Will streaming the sim have a noticeable impact of performance? I am running with very heavy add-ons.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Is there a reason you're not using your video card's built in streaming capability?  ShadowPlay uses the hardware to stream instead of software.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

12 hours ago, WarpD said:

Is there a reason you're not using your video card's built in streaming capability?  ShadowPlay uses the hardware to stream instead of software.

OBS is infinitely more powerful in terms of customisation, plus OBS can also use the NVENC codec, which is what ShadowPlay uses, to record and Stream. The only thing you're missing is the 'shadow' function. Geforce Experience is just bloatware at this point.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

How can I disable shadowplay permanently. I once read somewhere that there was a way to do this but can't remember where I saw it.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

9 minutes ago, captain420 said:

How can I disable shadowplay permanently. I once read somewhere that there was a way to do this but can't remember where I saw it.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay i.e "Share" is only active when you install Geforce Experience. Under the settings, you can enable and disable Share. 

As for your original question, I'd say you are aiming way too high with 1080p60 for streaming. That is way too much data, regardless of connection. Most streamers tend to settle for 720p30, as that's the comfortable max for most people to view in to begin with. Then you need to play around with bitrate, see what your connection can handle, also which codec is the best. You can use the Nvidia NVENC codec and take some pressure off the CPU. However, that requires a much higher bitrate to see a similar quality to x264.

OBS even had an estimator page, to give you some setting guidelines but that was shut down because it's simply too subjective. https://obsproject.com/help/estimator - As it says, experiment, find what works for you and doesn't hog all your resources locally :)

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'm talking about the shadowplay UI overlay (ALT+Z). There's a way to disable this entirely, but I forgot how. And that link is no longer valid.