Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

OOM warning - chime - FSUIPC

Recently I've been getting the OOM chime from FSUPIC about 3/4 of the way though the flights. It seems to be happening more often. I haven't crashed yet because of it, and I was wondering if someone can explain to me in layman's terms whats going on and if there is an easy way to fix it. For now I've turned off the chime, but I want to know whats going on and if there is something I can do to fix it (simply, layman's terms).

Notice - when the chimes start, its usually on descent into an airport, and as of yet I have not crashed to desktop, I have been able to finish the flight. But it seems as the weeks go on, the chimes were starting earlier (they originally started at touchdown.. then on approach... now they are starting on descent). 

Can anyone explain why I've had this plane, settings, and everything for the past 3  years, but have only been getting the warnings in the past two months? Am I heading towards crashes? Is something accumulating somewhere thats going to end up in FSX crashing more often?

8 core running at 4GHZ - Radeon R9 270X and 2GB of RAM 

GSX, AS16 w/ cloud art, NGX 800, EZDOK, no AI traffic, only VATSIM virtual traffic

Guess we will still see these OOM threads exist today.  

Seems like your on FSX. In laymens terms.... FSX is a 32bit sim. It can only use 4gb of ram. Doesnt matter whether your computer has 16gb or 64gb of ram, it only can use 4gb of ram period.  Like hitting your head on a concrete ceiling. You cant do anything about it other than lower yourself or bend your head.  In this case, lower your settings. More and more addons are getting more sophisticated thus use more memory. So two options... Lower your settings, or welcome yourself to the world of a 64bit sim which essentially has a massive ceiling we will never reach anytime soon. Recently released Prepar3d Version 4 or X-plane 11 are both 64 bit. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

17 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Recently I've been getting the OOM chime from FSUPIC about 3/4 of the way though the flights. It seems to be happening more often. I haven't crashed yet because of it, and I was wondering if someone can explain to me in layman's terms whats going on and if there is an easy way to fix it. For now I've turned off the chime, but I want to know whats going on and if there is something I can do to fix it (simply, layman's terms).

Giant explanation of it in the Intro Manual.

18 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Notice - when the chimes start, its usually on descent into an airport, and as of yet I have not crashed to desktop, I have been able to finish the flight. But it seems as the weeks go on, the chimes were starting earlier (they originally started at touchdown.. then on approach... now they are starting on descent). 

Does that airport happen to be an add-on airport?

18 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Can anyone explain why I've had this plane, settings, and everything for the past 3  years, but have only been getting the warnings in the past two months? Am I heading towards crashes? Is something accumulating somewhere thats going to end up in FSX crashing more often?

Let's scientific method this for a moment:

What has changed in the past two months on your system?

New scenery? New airports? Changed configuration in the settings menus (increased auto-gen, scenery complexity, etc)? New graphics drivers?

Something changed. It wasn't our aircraft, so, find the changes. That will likely be the cause.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll have to take a look into the intro manual, its been years since I've gone through it. The layman explanation above seems to make sense though.

I don't run add-on airports. I have recently been flying into the east coast, so that might have something to do with it. 

Also, I suppose its probably no coincidence that within the past 10 months I got the ASN cloud art, that could be it I guess -

Thanks, even just the two above posts put some light on what might be going on. 

I've read that when it starts chiming, a crash is inevitable. I haven't had a crash happen yet, but I'll make it a habit to save periodically in case of a crash. I've turned off the chime for now, so if it does crash it will be a surprise.

I haven't been able to find a clear answer as to whether or not there is a clear and simple way to do something akin to a "refresh" , "memory dump", or quick reload to free up memory and eliminate the impending crisis. Reloading the NGX is a pretty big deal mid-flight, so I was thinking (wishing) something along the lines of a refresh button (refresh scenery?) or something... does that exist or is it just crazy talk? 

Boxed FSX have these memory leaks. Not releasing scenery when not needed/seen anymore. FSX:SE have fixed that, releasing memory when you eg. leave a Mega airport, free VAS goes up.

See that whole time, using FSUIPC VAS monitor. In FSX:SE I have not had any OOMs since I got it, for only 70SKr. Almost for free.

Per W Sweden

33 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I've read that when it starts chiming, a crash is inevitable. I haven't had a crash happen yet, but I'll make it a habit to save periodically in case of a crash. I've turned off the chime for now, so if it does crash it will be a surprise.

Depending on your settings, you might just hear it through shut down, provided you don't switch views a whole bunch. In the past (pre-v4), any time I heard it, I just knew I needed to be as efficient as possible getting back to the gate, and that I should stay in the VC without switching views too much.

34 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I haven't been able to find a clear answer as to whether or not there is a clear and simple way to do something akin to a "refresh" , "memory dump", or quick reload to free up memory and eliminate the impending crisis. Reloading the NGX is a pretty big deal mid-flight, so I was thinking (wishing) something along the lines of a refresh button (refresh scenery?) or something... does that exist or is it just crazy talk? 

You can save the session, quit the sim, and restart it. Otherwise, just crazy talk.

Kyle Rodgers

51 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Reloading the NGX is a pretty big deal mid-flight, so I was thinking (wishing) something along the lines of a refresh button (refresh scenery?) or something... does that exist or is it just crazy talk? 

do not reload anything, it will increase VAS usagge. The only way is to save flight, quit the sim, and then reload it. 

But it's a strange thing to happen without addon airports. Do you have some photoscenery installed? 

Which sim do you have? If P3D V3, some drivers are causing VAS leak, and that would be a explanation. 

In FSX(and probably P3D V3, i don't know since i don't have it), you should disable all addon sceneries which are not needed for curent flight - all active sceneries will use some VAS, even if you are far away from them. 

I belive it's a most likely driver issue, never heard about VAS problems with default airports

I should stay in the VC without switching views too much.

Good advice

As far as photoscenery.. .no I am using only the basic default. I Have FSX:SE.

Driver issue... could my hardware be failing? You think ASN cloud art is using up the VAS? Like perhaps because I flew into (around) some storms last night, the cloud images sucked up alot of the VAS? Maybe if it were a clear night I would have made it without a warning? 

Now that I know whats going on I can look for patterns (cloud conditions, switching views, etc) and see if I can pin it down to something I am doing.

12 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Driver issue... could my hardware be failing?

Hardware, no. Driver, maybe.

12 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

You think ASN cloud art is using up the VAS?

Anything you put into the sim will eat VAS.

13 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Maybe if it were a clear night I would have made it without a warning? 

Potentially.

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Hardware, no. Driver, maybe.

Anything you put into the sim will eat VAS.

Potentially.

I'm computer illiterate.

Should I simply check install any driver updates for my graphics card (Radeon R9 270X) ? 

Couldn't hurt, could it? I'm always leery updating things because of a bad experience with a windows 10 update a year or so ago - screwed up EZDok and I had to diagnose for a few days with their help before we found a solution.

1 minute ago, Nick Dobda said:

Couldn't hurt, could it? I'm always leery updating things because of a bad experience with a windows 10 update a year or so ago - screwed up EZDok and I had to diagnose for a few days with their help before we found a solution.

Could, actually. Newer drivers can be the cause of issues. Unless you're sure you updated your drivers recently, I'd look elsewhere. Again, you will find the answer in the changes that you have made to your comp.

Computers won't do things unless you somehow tell them to. If you don't change anything, it will behave like it did yesterday. Something changed to cause this.

Kyle Rodgers

If you are using the payware version of FSUIPC you might enable the built-in memory monitor. That will display how much FS is using and how much is available and block availability size. If you are using 4096 cloud art textures you can burn a lot of memory on a cloudy day. If you are using AI and going to somewhere like JFK, there are several airports that get instantiated and have heavy traffic. If you watch the monitor you can get a pretty good idea what is happening and where it is happening. For example: if I try to fly into FSDT KLAX with the PMDG or iFly 747 I have serious memory issues unless I turn off KONT, KBUR, KLGB, and KSNA which are all add-ons as well, because all get instantiated on the approach to LAX.

David Jones

OK more good advice. I have a registered FSUIPC from about 2015 so I will dig around to see if I can enable the built in memory monitor to see whats going on whether it be cloud textures, changing views, or simply flying over metropolitan areas.

Also will hold off on updating the driver. I updated the graphics a long time ago - actually I recall it screwed up my triple monitor settings too it was a mess re configuring everything again - so I really want to avoid doing that. The only updates that are forced upon me regularly are the windows 10 updates. Is that a possibility?

Now that I think of it - it seems logical that the ASN cloud art is pushing the limits on my setup because the problem never existed prior to cloud art. Also seems more then coincidence that recently the problem has been showing up more often- and there just happens to be more of my flights occurring in and around storms with amazing cloud textures as of late (summer months).

For now anyway, the system hasn't been crashing, just getting the warning chime. So the problem isn't critical.

I have disabled the chime so I could theoretically ignore it until it actually turns into a crash issue (hopefully it never comes to that).

Again great info, so now I have more awareness of whats going on I'll discover the pattern and know how to handle the situation and not stress over it too much. 

9 hours ago, PerWel said:

Boxed FSX have these memory leaks. Not releasing scenery when not needed/seen anymore.

That is not a memory leak. Don't use a term where it doesn't apply. You'll only confuse people.