Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

OOM warning - chime - FSUIPC

Try lowering your cloud setting in ASCA to 512 (if you haven't already).  I think 1024 cloud textures will eat VAS like my dog eats dinner.

• Upvote 1

Stephen Forsgren

10 hours ago, Farlis said:

That is not a memory leak. Don't use a term where it doesn't apply. You'll only confuse people.

I am an old programmer since 35+ years, I'm 59 now. When a application is not releasing memory when it is not needed anymore that is considered a memory leak. Have always been called that.
In this case it is scenery that is not in view anymore so why keep it in memory. I always release memory when I do not need it anymore in my programs I make in C++.
This is important if you program in C++ like FSX is made with. But newer languages like C# you can forget that, C# runtime takes care of releasing mem.

This is what Dovetail (or how it is spelled) have done in FSX:SE, releasing memory when scenery is not needed anymore.

Per W Sweden

3 hours ago, PerWel said:

I am an old programmer since 35+ years, I'm 59 now. When a application is not releasing memory when it is not needed anymore that is considered a memory leak. Have always been called that.
In this case it is scenery that is not in view anymore so why keep it in memory. I always release memory when I do not need it anymore in my programs I make in C++.

Agreed. Thanks for posting this.

Kyle Rodgers

18 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Agreed. Thanks for posting this.

Thank you for agreeing. You seem to know some about programming. :smile:
Which Mr. Farlis does not seem to do.

Per W Sweden

Nick, download Process Explorer .exe from the web (it is free), get you sim going as you normally would near the OOM failure and run the program. It will tell you where the consumption is. You have to think that an OOM is just an overflow and it is not just one thing. The airplane consumes about 700,000K of the available 4GB for FSX. Something else (a combination of things) is eating the other 3,300,000K available. The natural reaction to an OOM is to blame the latest addon as that was the one to cause the overflow. But I am not sure if your OOM is strictly from FSX or as a whole in the computer. Sometimes intruders like to get a bunch of things going automatically in your computer which could also be the problem. You have to see if the FSX application in Process Explorer is consuming anywhere near 4,000,000K.

Ea2j9bF.jpg

Oddities seem to be happening more regularly. Switching to an outside view, I got this... just before I crashed. It was at the end of the flight. Is this a symptom of the memory filling up? I've since turned off the FSUIPC warning, which isn't going to solve the underlying problem I know....

I'm contemplating a fresh re-install which I REALLY don't want to do because of all the aftermarket things I would have to track down and re-install... would that be a waste of time? 

8 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

Is this a symptom of the memory filling up?

Yes.

The sim is clearly unable to load more assets, which is visible in the screenshot. You've thrown the sim assets, the scenery, and a bunch of other stuff into your sim's "bucket." In the screenshot, the fuselage, and the textures on the stair truck, didn't fit in the bucket so they didn't get loaded.

Note the missing tiles on the ground, too. This isn't just a PMDG problem. As I've mentioned before, this is all very clearly explained and in great detail in the Intro Manual.

8 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I'm contemplating a fresh re-install which I REALLY don't want to do because of all the aftermarket things I would have to track down and re-install... would that be a waste of time? 

Seeing that the cause of the symptom is generally having too many aftermarket things stuffed into a 32 bit sim...

Have a look at the Intro Manual and its suggestions first, though, please. For your own sake (saving time) and my own sanity (that someone might actually read the thing we all spent so much time on to help everyone answer these questions before they have them...in theory...provided they...ya know...read it).

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

(that someone might actually read the thing we all spent so much time on to help everyone answer these questions before they have them...in theory...provided they...ya know...read it).

Thanks for the input. I will go have a look at the intro manual dealing with this.

You're looking at it wrong though - you are so helpful on this this site and have made it so much easier to simply come here and ask a question. 

I get your frustration, but doesn't it feel at all rewarding that I'm grateful for Kyle Rodgers this morning for confirming my suspicion personally? Thank YOU Kyle Rodgers!

9 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I get your frustration, but doesn't it feel at all rewarding that I'm grateful for Kyle Rodgers this morning for confirming my suspicion personally? Thank YOU Kyle Rodgers!

haha - fair point. All the same...the Intro is going to give you a much better understanding (more because that wasn't my section to write and someone smarter wrote it :P ).

Kyle Rodgers

You folks have given me a really good understanding of what is going on. I saw what you saw in that screen shot and had a suspicion what was going on - I just wanted confirmation this morning.

And with that, it seems I might want to really consider turning down the settings, especially as my journey is going to be in and out of some really high density airports over the next few weeks. Perhaps do NOT switch to an external view and maybe even skip the GSX for now.

Also here is no reason to panic and do something silly like re-install everything.