Sign in to follow this  
CaptainPike

FSX Crashes

Hi, I'm a neophyte who has been somewhat conscripted to maintain FSX for a museum and I'm in over my head.

It is crashing to desktop shortly after beginning. I understand that this is probably something to do with a corrupted graphics file that I have heard mentioned in passing. A document I found here on avsim (pdf) advised me to find and delete fsx.cfg (or move it) and permit it to rebuild itself upon restart.

Here's the thing:

I can't find a file named fsx.cfg!

I have such file names as fsx_display.cfg, etc; but no fsx.cfg

I'm all ears for help!

59 minutes ago, CaptainPike said:

Hi, I'm a neophyte who has been somewhat conscripted to maintain FSX for a museum and I'm in over my head.

It is crashing to desktop shortly after beginning. I understand that this is probably something to do with a corrupted graphics file that I have heard mentioned in passing. A document I found here on avsim (pdf) advised me to find and delete fsx.cfg (or move it) and permit it to rebuild itself upon restart.

Here's the thing:

I can't find a file named fsx.cfg!

I have such file names as fsx_display.cfg, etc; but no fsx.cfg

I'm all ears for help!

Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  just delete and FSX will rebuild it. if you can't find the folder you will need to make the folder visible.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Well now, that was weird ...

I found the file and deleted it. When I relaunched, MSF did an update. I am now FSX "Acceleration". When launching, I lost the 4 monitor system and was stuck on just one monitor.

For now, I have restored the file ... which only crashes occasionally, but I guess I can get to that later.

So basically, right back where I started ... but with a new issue ....

Now, when the game is launched and I go to "virtual cockpit", I feel like my face is crammed to the window. I can't zoom out to where I can see window and instruments. Yep, I feel like I'm flying while hunching over the yoke. We need to be able to zoom out more in the virtual cockpit.

NVidia GForce GTX 680.1
1920 X 1080 X 32

Nevermind. Figured the above; "Wide Aspect" somethinorother.

There must be some line in the fsx.cfg file that enables/disables mutli-monitor view?

Moved this to the FSX Forum as I cannot see where you are crashing.  Just having issues with your monitors.  Perhaps someone in the FSX Forum knows how to fix your problem.  We do have a Hardware Forum for Monitors and Multi-Monitors so you might want to visit there too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

36 minutes ago, CaptainPike said:

Nevermind. Figured the above; "Wide Aspect" somethinorother.

There must be some line in the fsx.cfg file that enables/disables mutli-monitor view?

Make sure your newly created FSX.cfg shows the correct Graphics Card for your system.

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6100.0]
Mode=1360x768x32
TriLinear=1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for all your help, guys. Now, I have gone from one issue to another ... grrr ... But m sure that this has more to do with Windows deciding to spend an hour installing updates!!!

I have completed everything indicated int his topic. 

All three monitors are being used; I can stretch FSX window accross all three monitors.

But the problem is, FSX is only making use of 1/3 of that window! Windows is in Multi-Monitor mode; but FSX doesn't seem to be!

Are you in "Windowed" mode or "Full Screen Mode"?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I was in "windowed" mode when the issue continued to occur; that is, as far as WINDOWS was concerned. Is there an additional setting, maybe, in FSX?

Try pressing Alt+Enter to go into full screen mode.

Charlie Aron

11 hours ago, CaptainPike said:

Is there an additional setting, maybe, in FSX?

FSX is the same as all games.  You go into the graphic card settings and change the settings to set up multiple displays.  In the Display section of FSX.cfg, there is a parameter WideAspectView=True, which should be turned on if you have ONE monitor that has a wide view.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that. That setting is set correctly. I have MultiDisplay set up. I can stretch this window that I am using right now to utilize the top 3 monitors (numbered 2, , 3 with #2 being the primary). 

The closest I can find that describes my issue is a post elsewhere here: https://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=1296152 ... but when I go to displays, the "extend" option is ghosted out, so I assume I'm already extended?

I don't know; what I do know is that FSX won't fill the entire window when I stretch the window across all 3 monitors.

.... so if I have FSX up and running, I can grab the corner of the widow and stretch it accross the 3 montiors. FSX will stretch/skew; but when I release the mouse button, it goes back to the size of 1 monitor regardless of how wide I have sized the window.